Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The VAR goes MAD at Mainz

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Imagine if it had happened after the final whistle rather than at half-time?! Completely farcical.

Loads of fans probably missed the pen as they were queeing up for their half-time beer!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
someone on this forum was tell us how its great and perfected and well respected everywhere else in Europe. :dunce:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What was the half-time score? Surely if the ref has blown for HT that has to be the end of the action? Perhaps they should have started the second half with the pen instead.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There seems to be constant protests from fans in Germany about matches being moved for TV. It's good to see.

[tweet]985971524783001600[/tweet]

[tweet]985972286837657600[/tweet]

[tweet]985971240505610242[/tweet]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What was the half-time score? Surely if the ref has blown for HT that has to be the end of the action? Perhaps they should have started the second half with the pen instead.

That was my thought, that if the half time whistle or indeed full time whistle had been blown, that is the end of the half, and if VAR hasn't reported back then it effectively gets switched off. If the incident was being looked at, then the ref should not blow for the end of the half /game.

I was always under the impression that the ending of the half/game is purely the decision of the referee.

Has VAR made an error by giving the penalty after the end of the half?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That was my thought, that if the half time whistle or indeed full time whistle had been blown, that is the end of the half, and if VAR hasn't reported back then it effectively gets switched off. If the incident was being looked at, then the ref should not blow for the end of the half /game.

I was always under the impression that the ending of the half/game is purely the decision of the referee.

Has VAR made an error by giving the penalty after the end of the half?

The VAR doesn't give the penalty.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
There seems to be constant protests from fans in Germany about matches being moved for TV. It's good to see.

[tweet]985971524783001600[/tweet]

Imagine trying to get the North Stand to do that in unison #quiltedpink

EDIT: or even getting them all back to their seats in time to do it as the whistle goes for the second half, as here

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Two wrongs making another wrong.

For a start, it would be at the wrong end. So that's four wrongs so far.

I only make it three wrongs.

Surely it's wrong to continue the action after the half has ended? First action of the second half should be a penalty rather than the kick off.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Surely it's wrong to continue the action after the half has ended? First action of the second half should be a penalty rather than the kick off.

Could be three wrongs- but if you're wrong it's now five.

It's not four wrongs either way now.

This would make a good Python sketch.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I can't see what is wrong here. It's natural progression of the game.

One of the main differences being that not as many fans would miss the penalty - as you can buy beer throughout the game & drink in the stands

Var is still pants

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Could be three wrongs- but if you're wrong it's now five.

It's not four wrongs either way now.

This would make a good Python sketch.

If you keep making more wrongs surely it comes full circle and becomes right again?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If you keep making more wrongs surely it comes full circle and becomes right again?

You seem to be applying mathematical logic here.

A wrong + a wrong does not equal a right. Therefore, by simple logic, there is no circle. Merely a line to an infinite number of wrongs.

By the time you reach the end, if that is possible, you will be so wrong that even some NSC posters will be passing you the other way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are just so many bizarre situations that can happen under VAR. Its an utter, utter shambles at the moment. It may take a high profile balls-up in a massive game at the World Cup to get this thing binned off for a complete rethink, but I fear we are stuck with it. At least we have at least 1 more season without it fvking up the Premier League for now. It must be resisted at all costs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official, provided play has not restarted or the referee has signalled the end of the first or second half (including extra time) and left the field of play or terminated the match.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-5---the-referee

Wrong 1: See above
Wrong 2: The players had gone down the tunnel meaning...
Wrong 3: VAR took an age to tell the ref to re-look at an incident
Wrong 4: A half starting with a penalty. It doesn't - it ALWAYS starts with a kick-off

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are just so many bizarre situations that can happen under VAR. Its an utter, utter shambles at the moment. It may take a high profile balls-up in a massive game at the World Cup to get this thing binned off for a complete rethink, but I fear we are stuck with it. At least we have at least 1 more season without it fvking up the Premier League for now. It must be resisted at all costs.

Ah, but FIFA will force this upon us because they can. They're doing it in Germany, so it will be here soon.

They make the laws etc. etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here