Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't see what is wrong here. It's natural progression of the game.

One of the main differences being that not as many fans would miss the penalty - as you can buy beer throughout the game & drink in the stands

Var is still pants
    Its great and perfected and well respected everywhere else in Europe.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I can't see what is wrong here. It's natural progression of the game.

Var is still pants.
      Eh?
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Head View Post
      Its great and perfected and well respected everywhere else in Europe.
      Unless I am in danger of being whooshed for misunderstanding irony, that is simply not true.

Just one article showing several poor decisions in europe this year. VAR is clearly not fit for purpose.
      https://www.theguardian.com/football...ink-bundesliga
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      What about people with half-time / full-time bets? How were those adjudicated?

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
      Unless I am in danger of being whooshed for misunderstanding irony, that is simply not true.

Just one article showing several poor decisions in europe this year. VAR is clearly not fit for purpose.
      https://www.theguardian.com/football...ink-bundesliga
      Yes you are being whooshed. It's people paraphrasing some comments from everybody's favourite Grandad. (Who does come in for a bit of unfair stick on here at times, but his VAR comments and assertion that FIFA make the laws of the game were quite spectacularly wrong).

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
      Eh?
      1st sentence is irony / sarcasm.

I thought VAR was a good idea but having seen it in action it is truly awful / is being applied in a way that i think is wrong

5 Not allowed!
      I am really quite saddened with regard to VAR. the way it has been implemented and the way the debate has continued. To be clear, I was all for it when it was introduced and I still think it has a place in modern football.

I don't watch football because I like controversy, I watch it because I enjoy playing the game, following my team, and appreciating the levels of skill that the game allows the best players to demonstrate in a way that so few other sports do. With that in mind, the concept of VAR in my view should always have been to eliminate terrible decisions and attempt to stamp out gamesmanship and poor conduct. However, the way this has been implemented has been a total shambles and we are now in danger of the debate moving in a direction that I don't think is helpful - one which says "VAR is rubbish, get rid of it" rather than "VAR implementation is a mess, let's address how we can use it properly". Someone on here suggested VAR should only be trialled to handle one or two aspects of the game at a time in order to iron out wrinkles and I think that's what I want to see. I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end. Brilliant.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      I am really quite saddened with regard to VAR. the way it has been implemented and the way the debate has continued. To be clear, I was all for it when it was introduced and I still think it has a place in modern football.

I don't watch football because I like controversy, I watch it because I enjoy playing the game, following my team, and appreciating the levels of skill that the game allows the best players to demonstrate in a way that so few other sports do. With that in mind, the concept of VAR in my view should always have been to eliminate terrible decisions and attempt to stamp out gamesmanship and poor conduct. However, the way this has been implemented has been a total shambles and we are now in danger of the debate moving in a direction that I don't think is helpful - one which says "VAR is rubbish, get rid of it" rather than "VAR implementation is a mess, let's address how we can use it properly". Someone on here suggested VAR should only be trialled to handle one or two aspects of the game at a time in order to iron out wrinkles and I think that's what I want to see. I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end. Brilliant.
      pretty much some it up for me

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      Yes you are being whooshed. It's people paraphrasing some comments from everybody's favourite Grandad. (Who does come in for a bit of unfair stick on here at times, but his VAR comments and assertion that FIFA make the laws of the game were quite spectacularly wrong).
      1st sentence is irony / sarcasm.

I thought VAR was a good idea but having seen it in action it is truly awful / is being applied in a way that i think is wrong
      Haha, thanks both of you!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end.
      If you think any form of video technology will eradicate mistakes and controversy, you're going to be very disappointed. Cricket and rugby have had video replays for years and there are constant complaints about officials' decisions
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio