Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The VAR goes MAD at Mainz

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I can't see what is wrong here. It's natural progression of the game.

One of the main differences being that not as many fans would miss the penalty - as you can buy beer throughout the game & drink in the stands

Var is still pants

Its great and perfected and well respected everywhere else in Europe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What about people with half-time / full-time bets? How were those adjudicated?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Unless I am in danger of being whooshed for misunderstanding irony, that is simply not true.

Just one article showing several poor decisions in europe this year. VAR is clearly not fit for purpose.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ues-amid-latest-video-replay-stink-bundesliga

Yes you are being whooshed. It's people paraphrasing some comments from everybody's favourite Grandad. (Who does come in for a bit of unfair stick on here at times, but his VAR comments and assertion that FIFA make the laws of the game were quite spectacularly wrong).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am really quite saddened with regard to VAR. the way it has been implemented and the way the debate has continued. To be clear, I was all for it when it was introduced and I still think it has a place in modern football.

I don't watch football because I like controversy, I watch it because I enjoy playing the game, following my team, and appreciating the levels of skill that the game allows the best players to demonstrate in a way that so few other sports do. With that in mind, the concept of VAR in my view should always have been to eliminate terrible decisions and attempt to stamp out gamesmanship and poor conduct. However, the way this has been implemented has been a total shambles and we are now in danger of the debate moving in a direction that I don't think is helpful - one which says "VAR is rubbish, get rid of it" rather than "VAR implementation is a mess, let's address how we can use it properly". Someone on here suggested VAR should only be trialled to handle one or two aspects of the game at a time in order to iron out wrinkles and I think that's what I want to see. I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I am really quite saddened with regard to VAR. the way it has been implemented and the way the debate has continued. To be clear, I was all for it when it was introduced and I still think it has a place in modern football.

I don't watch football because I like controversy, I watch it because I enjoy playing the game, following my team, and appreciating the levels of skill that the game allows the best players to demonstrate in a way that so few other sports do. With that in mind, the concept of VAR in my view should always have been to eliminate terrible decisions and attempt to stamp out gamesmanship and poor conduct. However, the way this has been implemented has been a total shambles and we are now in danger of the debate moving in a direction that I don't think is helpful - one which says "VAR is rubbish, get rid of it" rather than "VAR implementation is a mess, let's address how we can use it properly". Someone on here suggested VAR should only be trialled to handle one or two aspects of the game at a time in order to iron out wrinkles and I think that's what I want to see. I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

pretty much some it up for me

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes you are being whooshed. It's people paraphrasing some comments from everybody's favourite Grandad. (Who does come in for a bit of unfair stick on here at times, but his VAR comments and assertion that FIFA make the laws of the game were quite spectacularly wrong).
1st sentence is irony / sarcasm.

I thought VAR was a good idea but having seen it in action it is truly awful / is being applied in a way that i think is wrong
Haha, thanks both of you!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I worry that the inevitable VAR shambles at the world cup will be the death knell of the whole thing, and we'll be back to seeing games decided 1-0 by a goal four yards offside while a blatant penalty was missed at the other end.

If you think any form of video technology will eradicate mistakes and controversy, you're going to be very disappointed. Cricket and rugby have had video replays for years and there are constant complaints about officials' decisions

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The WC is building up very nicely to be the CAUSE of WW3, what with VAR and the new Cold War. Its gonna be armaggedon I tell thee

It's just a pity the USA didn't qualify. Just imagine a final between them and Russia with VAR giving the USA a dodgy penalty in the 94th minute !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I do not wish to rekindle controversy but just to point out that my assertion about FIFA was based on the fact that they usually get what they want even if means a little lobbying.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you think any form of video technology will eradicate mistakes and controversy, you're going to be very disappointed. Cricket and rugby have had video replays for years and there are constant complaints about officials' decisions

I don't think that at all. In fact I'd argue those that did think that are the ones to blame for the state of VAR as it is because it feels like someone has just decided VAR is a magic wand that will just fix everything wrong with the game as opposed to carefully implementing it so that it is effective.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's just a pity the USA didn't qualify. Just imagine a final between them and Russia with VAR giving the USA a dodgy penalty in the 94th minute !
Putin will be controlling the VAR. Or at least his sinister stooge standing in the corner of the VAR room nodding or shaking his head will be.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Outside of World Cup issues - which is all FIFA really exist for - can you give us a 'for instance'...?

The venue of the next World Cups and the red card and penalty jepoardy but then you know everything and are never wrong so you dont need me to tell you of instances. I shall not even bother to try. and have added you to Simmo and Stas Brother as posters not to bother to answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which means he'll be answering your every word within the hour.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think that at all. In fact I'd argue those that did think that are the ones to blame for the state of VAR as it is because it feels like someone has just decided VAR is a magic wand that will just fix everything wrong with the game as opposed to carefully implementing it so that it is effective.

If you don't think VAR is going to eradicate referee mistakes, I'm not sure what you mean by implementing it so that it is effective.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I also wanted VAR, but having seen it in action I realise I'm probably wrong - or at least that VAR doesn't actually change anything in how we enjoy and discuss the game.

At the moment we have two types of refereeing mistakes - those that are blatantly wrong, i.e. the four yards offside, and those that are very marginal - a slight offside, a query over intentional handball, or contact in the box etc. We - the fans, the managers, the pundits - moan and rant about the blatant ones changing games, and generally accept or ignore the marginal ones.

What VAR does is clean up the blatant ones, fine, but then shifts all the focus to the marginal ones, with endless replays on tight offside calls, whether a handball was deliberate or not (the Mainz case) and so on. So now the pundits and everyone spend hours poring over these decisions instead, and these previously unimportant decisions become the big focus of the game in place of the blatantly wrong ones that used to be the focus. And whats more, there are far more of these tight decisions than the blatantly-wrong ones, several a game compared to only a handful of times a season for each club, so we now spend more time than before going over referee's decisions.

So we still bang on about incorrect decisions, but doing it more often than before, and in return for removing the blatantly wrong calls we get stuck with all the bad side-effects, the length of time taken out of the game, not knowing whether you can cheer a goal for a minute or more, the crowd being in the dark on whats happening, and so on.

Cricket has struggled with the same, sure a blatant inside edge is no longer missed, but we spend ages going over catches that may or may not have carried, looking for the tiniest hotspot mark on a glove, and so on..

What is needed is a system that says - blatant offside, overrule - but then doesn't get involved in the tight ones. Problem is, there is no clean line between the two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here