Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A23 or M23 Derby?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A bit picky I know.

I have always thought of it as the A23 as the road runs from heart of Brighton through Croydon and out the other side.

Notice some newspapers etc. refer to it as M23, however that is only a short bit of motorway between Crawley and Merstham.

Must get a life. More important things to worry about such as where next points are coming from!!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A23 - M23 stops short of the slum areas of SE25 and A23 was the only way into Brighton back in 70's

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bizarrely described as the South Downs Derby on Goals on Sunday! Not sure that works as you've got the North Downs in the middle as well.

Personally I don't view it as a derby at all. It's an intense rivalry, like Man Utd and Leeds, not a derby.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
neither

Muggy title given to it by the media.

This

Bizarrely described as the South Downs Derby on Goals on Sunday! Not sure that works as you've got the North Downs in the middle as well.

Personally I don't view it as a derby at all. It's an intense rivalry, like Man Utd and Leeds, not a derby.

And This

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thameslink derby v Spurs

I just hope they all go back home after the game

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What about the M27 or A27 derbies v Disney and Staines, surely they have credence, given we're all on the south coast:shrug:

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Neither, the Rivalry is not defined by a road naming system.

It goes much deeper, or does it ????

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that the A23 bypassed Croydon going down Purley Way to Waddon and then on to Thornton Heath and Norbury The road going through Croydon was the A232 but I am sure that somebody will correct me if I am wrong. and I wont argue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought that the A23 bypassed Croydon going down Purley Way to Waddon and then on to Thornton Heath and Norbury The road going through Croydon was the A232 but I am sure that somebody will correct me if I am wrong. and I wont argue.

Quite a lot of people don't acknowldge a rivalry, just a fixture that brings out the worst in supporters of both clubs. Personally all fixtures are the same to me: my team are in it, along with an opposition. I always want my team to win.

Personally, also, I find the booing of oppo players (FFS - Murray) and ludicrous chants about 'big' clubs, along with getting upset when a team steals a few yards for a throw completely cringworthy and division 2 tinpot.

Actually bothering to start a thread on which road name best describes a rivalry....BG's reply pretty much puts the whole thing into perspctive....it should be calld the 'A232 tinpot war of no consequence'.

Changing the topic slightly, are we going up to win the cup, or 'and we'll' win the cup?

:shootself

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Try google maps!!!

A232 is more an east/west. Doesn't come anywhere near Sussex!!

As for those that bang on about it just being another fixture I fail to understand why you can't enjoy the rivalry. Ignore the morons, not to do so is to let them win.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
'The man-made South Coast match where B&HA actually changed from dolphin to a Seagull, PURELY to be able to chant back at the Eagles during matches, I know, how tinpot is the entire thing - Rivalry/Derby (does anyone outside of these clubs actually care whatsoever)'.

Or is that a bit of a mouthful? A23 Derby is a bit catchier I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here