Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 771
  1. #221
    Who's Next? The Large One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    97.2FM
    Posts
    51,986


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, I respectfully disagree. The policy to stop some from using Bank of United Kingdom, when they have no right to do so, is anything but ill thought out, in my opinion.

    I say again: People jumping on an Air India flight once a year to pop over and take all they can grab from this country is wholly wrong.

    The implementation of that policy has clearly been ill thought out however.
    You're continuing to cite one story from one family - assuming this tale is true, and it really doesn't sound like it is - as a justification for an entire piece of legislation which stops people who've been in this country longer than you from functioning as contributors to society.

    We're talking about people not being allowed to have jobs they'd had for years; we're talking about people not being allowed to live in the houses they'd lived in for years; we're talking about people being deported without due process to places they know little about. And when it's pointed out to the Home Office, they're not interested.
    The Albion Roar on Twitter
    New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #222

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm not sure I've seen anything presented on this story yet that clearly indicates an explicit desire for the current government to enforce wholesale deportation on people who, to all intents and purposes, are as British as many of us and deserve the same access to all this country has to offer as I do. As useless as Theresa May so clearly is on many levels, I don't believe that is her intent here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Where is the proof that this has been implemented, as you say, out of spite?
      I've no idea what's gone through Theresa May's mind, but she does have a history of showing a lack of compassion. One case I remember is when Home Secretary she approved the extradition to the US of a student who was accused of copyright infringement, and earning about 150k from it. Basically, he set up a website, where he linked to other websites which hosted TV shows and films. He didn't actually host anything himself. The same TV shows and film links could be found on Google, for example. Furthermore, he had not broken any UK laws at the time. Yet Theresa May approved an extradition request. I seem to recall some protests at the time. Anyway, Theresa May approved the extradition, which he of coursed appealed, and during this time he managed to come to an agreement with the US to drop the case (he paid a fine and signed an agreement not to break US laws). The whole situation was a joke, but thankfully it turned out OK in the end, despite May and the government of the time.
      Last edited by seagulls4ever; 16-04-2018 at 22:43.
    • #223
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      41,773


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're continuing to cite one story from one family - assuming this tale is true, and it really doesn't sound like it is - as a justification for an entire piece of legislation which stops people who've been in this country longer than you from functioning as contributors to society.

      We're talking about people not being allowed to have jobs they'd had for years; we're talking about people not being allowed to live in the houses they'd lived in for years; we're talking about people being deported without due process to places they know little about. And when it's pointed out to the Home Office, they're not interested.
      1. I absolutely believe it to be true. I've spent more time with the man in question than I've spent with you, for example. I'm not sure why someone I've spent some time with would fabricate this story.

      2. Regardless of that, I'm not using this story to justify anything at all. I do, however, agree that some measures should be put in place to stop people who don't contribute to our society from merely seeking to take from it.

      3. Again, I am attempting to make no justification for why anyone who has lived here for long periods of time should be asked to leave. There is none. That is clearly fundamentally wrong.

      I'm not sure if you answered my question for some proof that this legislation was put in place out of spite (your word), to look to perform wholesale deportation against thousands of people. If you've swerved that, it is probably because either there is none, or you've been unable to find it.

      I've not seen anything to suggest that this is not a case of well meaning legislation being administered dreadfully, causing undoubted stress and hardship on those it wasn't intended to impact. That's inexcusable, but there's a world of difference between intended malice, and just utter incompetence.
    • #224
      Members Pevenseagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Balls deep in nostalgia
      Posts
      12,410


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're continuing to cite one story from one family - assuming this tale is true, and it really doesn't sound like it is - as a justification for an entire piece of legislation which stops people who've been in this country longer than you from functioning as contributors to society.

      We're talking about people not being allowed to have jobs they'd had for years; we're talking about people not being allowed to live in the houses they'd lived in for years; we're talking about people being deported without due process to places they know little about. And when it's pointed out to the Home Office, they're not interested.
      And a home secretary who couldn't be arsed / is too fundamentally shit to be prepared for the most simple of questions.
      No confidence in the current REGIME.

      And I am no fan of Corbyn
      The worst shit in the seven kingdoms.
    • #225
      Members GT49er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Gloucester
      Posts
      22,238


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Like a census every ten years?
      Which thirty years ago was subject to much stricter rules than now. Potential prison for those who wouldn't co-operate, every census form needing to be signed for and accounted for - now just chucked through the letterbox with little or no follow up.
    • #226
      Members Chicken Run's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West Hove
      Posts
      8,479


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Just when everybody thinks the Tories can't get any worse they do with treating the Windrush people with the threat of deportation , what an utterly morally repugnant government they are and what a nasty , racist piece of work Theresa May is as this lands right on her desk as home secretary.

      https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...P=share_btn_tw
      Well another in another 3 years that soppy muggy excuse for a leader of the opposition can get going again and bullshit young people convincing them to vote for his nutty party and we can put this horrific government and their behaviour behind us right, Corbyn will win the next election right?
    • #227
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Posts
      18,238


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've not seen anything to suggest that this is not a case of well meaning legislation being administered dreadfully, causing undoubted stress and hardship on those it wasn't intended to impact. That's inexcusable, but there's a world of difference between intended malice, and just utter incompetence.
      Although very hard not to admit that it plays against a background of a party attempting to appeal to his right wing.

      They were called (in the past) the nasty party for a very good reason.

      The poll tax (from what I've read) was a bureaucratic cock up that got out of hand, but they were more than happy to allow OAPs to be prosecuted.

      The Home Secretary needs to resign. The minute politicians start blaming the civil service they are toast anyway.
    • #228
      Members Mental Lental's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Shiki-shi, Saitama
      Posts
      1,629


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A single and direct register of who resides in the U.K. is what’s needed. And no, it isn’t difficult as other nations do it.
      I have been registered as a resident of Japan for 11 years. I'm now classed as a "permanent resident" which is as close as you can get to being a Japanese citizen without switching passports.

      Unsurprisingly it seems that the NSC Tory brigade are out in force, trying to defend the indefensible. Some of the attempts to save a bit of face with the usual "yeah but Labour...." rhetoric are truly reprehensible.
      "The only true wisdom lies in knowing that NSC knows nothing." - Socrates
    • #229
      ESU Zimmer Crew
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      10,215


      0 Not allowed!
      Despite being, what some term, a Corbyist, I am uneasy about the political point scoring here. This is not about politics. It is about gross incompetence.

      That said, the fact that this went unheard and was even dismissed until the public outcry from all sides of the political spectrum needs serious address.
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...
    • #230
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      A long way from the coast...
      Posts
      6,801


      0 Not allowed!
      Just walked past the news agents, even the racist part of the media are all over this. Paul Dacre clearly been onto Theresa again
      Brexit Autumn 2018....everything is agreed, although nothing is agreed

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •