Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Reactionary. They know that even the most hardened of little Englanders would raise eyebrows at this one.

The point is that it was going on unchecked and unreported. I can't fathom the distress that some elderly folk have gone through.

Compensation, yes, and justice...
Indeed. You really do have to be the most poisoned and twisted racist not to feel ashamed at this; and also to feel that there has been a major failing, not just in natural justice, but in the British sense of Fair Play. Even my Tory-voting, Daily Mail reading father-in-law thinks it's an utter disgrace.

Fifty years after Powell and it seems we still have a lot of work to do.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Lets not beat about the bush! The question to ask is would this have happened if the Windrush generation had not been Black? To me this shameful debacle shows the deep seated and ingrained racism still prevalent throughout the leadership, institutions and sadly in substantial parts of the population!

yes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...d-raised-in-britain-told-to-leave-home-office
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...r-threatened-deportation-america-11499429.amp
plenty of other examples as well , so what are you going to wring your hands over now ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
At no point have I defended the Windrush deportations, caused by successive governments of different parties, I have just slagged off Ernest's hippocrasy (sp). But it seems that is too difficult for many numpties to understand.

Point of order there. Successive governments have not been deporting people who came to this country as a result of the Windrush movement. Deportations are happening as a result of policy changes bought about by recent administrations.

Also, it's hard to ascertain from your original post whether you were pro or anti the deportations. I'm delighted you are anti-deportation, and am not at all surprised. :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The change took place in 2013/14, and now the people being badly treated are being heard. Sometimes injustices take a couple of years to come to light. Do a search for biometric documents and tell me they were used 20 years ago.

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-a...ids-no-justice-no-peace-in-immigration-debate

Over the last few weeks one story after another has revealed how Caribbean immigrants to the UK in the 50s and 60s are suddenly being asked to prove their right to be here. The culture of 'papers please' has suddenly hit them, whenever they try to access medical treatment, or rent a property, or seek employment.

This included a 61 year-old woman who once worked in the Houses of Parliament serving food to MPs but later ended up being sent to Yarl's Wood detention centre.

The cancer patient quoted in the article came here in 1973.While this is a nasty case,it has absolutely nothing to do with Windrush which was 1940's/50's.Just political stirring,and half truths, yet again.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The cancer patient quoted in the article came here in 1973.While this is a nasty case,it has absolutely nothing to do with Windrush which was 1940's/50's.Just political stirring,and half truths, yet again.

They are the children of Windrush immigrants. Are you trying to be deliberately ignorant of the story?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just when everybody thinks the Tories can't get any worse they do with treating the Windrush people with the threat of deportation , what an utterly morally repugnant government they are and what a nasty , racist piece of work Theresa May is as this lands right on her desk as home secretary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/no-10-refuses-caribbean-request-to-discuss-children-of-windrush?CMP=share_btn_tw

Can't believe I'm the first to thumbs up your OP.

Shocking treatment of those that we invited to this country and without whom our NHS and London Transport in particular could never have survived in the post war era.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They are the children of Windrush immigrants. Are you trying to be deliberately ignorant of the story?

so tbe cancer patient who came here in 1973 is a child of someone from the windrush ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Don't be even more ridiculous than you usually are.If he was a child of the Windrush generation,had his parents gone back to Jamaica to have him?

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
It’s the Home Office that is to blame. They don’t have the records but they expect individuals to have records.
Arrogance at a level that is unbelievable except they are consistently like that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So poor Theresa May is just a victim of political incompetence and wasn't obliged or at fault in any way for producing this bill in October 2013. As Home Officer minister, you'd think she would know what her own department was doing.

To be fair, her entire stint as PM has given a fairly good defence to the idea that she doesn't know what's going on around her nor seemingly does she possess the ability to comprehend it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

So you think nit picking about the year he arrived is justification for refusing cancer treatment to Albert Thompson who has paid UK taxes and NI for 44 continuous years?

1973 is mentioned in this article which I have already put a link to, so it isn't just children who arrived in the 40s and 50s, as much as you would like it to be.
I am afraid your nit picking and political point scoring about these people who are suffering just shows you up for your heartless mentality.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...loses-job-immigration-status?CMP=share_btn_fb

I never applied for a British passport. We thought we were British,” he said. Because he arrived in the UK before 1973 he has an automatic permanent right to remain, but the introduction of the by Theresa May as home secretary in 2013 has required employers, the NHS, Jobcentre staff and landlords to run checks for papers, causing problems for people who do not have documentary proof of their right to live in the UK.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Don't be even more ridiculous than you usually are.If he was a child of the Windrush generation,had his parents gone back to Jamaica to have him?

Despite me mistakenly writing immigrants instead of generation you have answered my point as I meant it, so thanks! You're not all bad. I don't know know the ins and outs of how his parents conducted their ins and outs. It's not really the point is it?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
fff442d157dac3cb90b7977a2008f5b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here