Status
Not open for further replies.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
[tweet]985829146793299968[/tweet]

No, no, no ERNs you two faced axxe, you have slagged off Osbourne for years, yet now you seem to want to use his words as a beacon for you twisted communist agenda. Do one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I've said many times, I'm not a fan of Theresa May and I have no in-depth knowledge of this particular situation, but from the two articles linked to by our resident rabid-mouthed looney, I'm finding it difficult to find reasons to blame the present administration for this, at least completely.

The suggestion is that governments of both sides, for generations, have failed to take measures to ensure the security of this group of people. And, from The Guardian article, I can't say I see a whole lot wrong with this statement "Recent changes to the law mean that if you wish to work, rent property or have access to benefits and services in the UK then you will need documents to demonstrate your right to be in the UK."

Clearly, though, this has to be handled carefully and sympathetically. If in doubt, err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt. That seems to be where the failing is taking place.

It was Theresa May as Home Office Minister, in 2013 who changed the rules. These youngsters thought they were classed as British subjects.

In my post #4, I quoted the lawyer who is working on their behalf.

Lawyers working for people in this situation say the level of documentary proof required by the Home Office is extremely high, with officials requesting to see a minimum of one, but preferably four, pieces of documentary evidence for every year spent in the UK. Often GP surgeries and schools that might have been able to provide documentary proof of their residence have since closed, and records destroyed.

I couldn't provide 4 documents of proof that I was British in the 50s, 60s etc. I have a medical card, a couple of school photos, and my RN service docs, but apart from that, no, I couldn't. My juniot school is still going, my senior school has changed name. and my doctors was somewhere on New Church Road, but I have no idea of the name of the surgery or doctors.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Absolute disgrace.

I really, really want to vote May out.

Sadly comrade Corbynski is far, far worse.

Is he Polish, then? If you are suggesting he has Russian sympathies or roots, the preferred transliteration would be 'Corbynsky'.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
No, no, no ERNs you two faced axxe, you have slagged off Osbourne for years, yet now you seem to want to use his words as a beacon for you twisted communist agenda. Do one.

Says our resident rabid right wing, swivel eyed, head banging loony , I'm glad you did do one as one less of your type infesting this country

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
As I've said many times, I'm not a fan of Theresa May and I have no in-depth knowledge of this particular situation, but from the two articles linked to by our resident rabid-mouthed looney, I'm finding it difficult to find reasons to blame the present administration for this, at least completely.

The suggestion is that governments of both sides, for generations, have failed to take measures to ensure the security of this group of people. And, from The Guardian article, I can't say I see a whole lot wrong with this statement "Recent changes to the law mean that if you wish to work, rent property or have access to benefits and services in the UK then you will need documents to demonstrate your right to be in the UK."

Clearly, though, this has to be handled carefully and sympathetically. If in doubt, err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt. That seems to be where the failing is taking place.

spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you applied the criteria to yourself, could you provide evidence of UK residency for the length of time these people are being asked to provide.

I know I couldn't.

So that probably means that I'm now unemployed and not entitled to NHS treatment.........

Tories out!

As I have said before on the Brexit thread, I found it utterly bizarre and baffling that there is no register for residency in the U.K. This would have solved the issue of residency.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure i understand whats new or changed. i knew someone at college 20 years ago had problems because she came from Zimbabwe in preschool years, had no official documentation of that, birth certificate lost etc. went through school, got NI without any issue only when going to work suddenly found she was effectively an illegal immigrant.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
not sure i understand whats new or changed. i knew someone at college 20 years ago had problems because she came from Zimbabwe in preschool years, had no official documentation of that, birth certificate lost etc. went through school, got NI without any issue only when going to work suddenly found she was effectively an illegal immigrant.

Theresa May's Home Office policies on immigrants were what changed, remember her go home van ???

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Says our resident rabid right wing, swivel eyed, head banging loony , I'm glad you did do one as one less of your type infesting this country

Still got the vote though, hope it is the one to consign JC to losing history!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I was waiting for you to pitch in with your opinions.
On this occasion Osborne has said the right thing.
Like him or hate him Corbyn would never have done this.
It must be very sad to be you.
So glad you left the country.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Lets not beat about the bush! The question to ask is would this have happened if the Windrush generation had not been Black? To me this shameful debacle shows the deep seated and ingrained racism still prevalent throughout the leadership, institutions and sadly in substantial parts of the population!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm glad someone has raised this issue.

Good citizens of this country have lost jobs and homes.

Full compensation should be offered.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lets not beat about the bush! The question to ask is would this have happened if the Windrush generation had not been Black? To me this shameful debacle shows the deep seated and ingrained racism still prevalent throughout the leadership, institutions and sadly in substantial parts of the population!

Not so sure about that.

It simply shows gross incompetence on behalf of successive governments.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
An utter disgrace, but just typical of the empathy vacuum that exists within the Tory party. Playing to the anti-immigration gallery without any thought of the impact on real lives. Just contemptible behaviour from a heartless government.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

If it’s twisted communism to afford people that have lived here all their life citizenship after they have travelled to the UK at our behest, then pass me the hammer and sickle and drape me in a red flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As I have said before on the Brexit thread, I found it utterly bizarre and baffling that there is no register for residency in the U.K. This would have solved the issue of residency.

seems it would fix alot of issues.

Theresa May's Home Office policies on immigrants were what changed, remember her go home van ???

doesn't explain why its an issue now, this week, and for people who've been here for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here