Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
This whole thing is absolutely appalling. If the Government feel no shame, then I certainly do. People came here by invitation and in good faith and helped us build up post-War necessities such as the NHS and the transport infrastructure whilst being subjected to racial discrimination and a form of second-class citizenship. Instead of being grateful for their contribution to this country those in power have betrayed and disowned their children, many of whom are (like me) in their 60's. They are as British as I am and many (like me) have carried rifle and pack and worn the military and civilian uniforms of our country with pride. I am utterly shocked that they should be so betrayed and hope that my insignificant voice can somehow add to those already calling for justice and common decency. I hope, as our Government reps stand at the Cenotaph this year, they will take notice of the West Indian ex-servicemen and see that they wear with pride the same medals as the rest of us. That they and their children should be treated so shabbily really upsets me.

Great post I wish I'd written that

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I know that it has a low reputation on NSC, but it's The Guardian, specifically Amelia Gentleman, who first alerted us to this problem last autumn, it's taken about six months for the rest of the media to catch up with the story.

Jeremy Corbyn brought it up at PMQ's weeks ago but trying to get an answer off Theresa May there is harder than trying to get 6 winning numbers in the lottery

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Oh, this poor pathetic argument of 'nothing to hide'. No I don't, I assume neither do you. Why don't we implement random stop and searches or even random house searches by the authorities ? After all, if you have nothing to hide you having nothing to worry about ?

Not poor or pathetic at all and it’s not an an argument just an opinion. I certainly never said anything about changing the law regarding random stop and search or house searches, you introduced that. I’d advocate a national DNA register as well. Might deter some murderers, rapists and paedophiles but would, obviously, infringe their human rights.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
This whole thing is absolutely appalling. If the Government feel no shame, then I certainly do. People came here by invitation and in good faith and helped us build up post-War necessities such as the NHS and the transport infrastructure whilst being subjected to racial discrimination and a form of second-class citizenship. Instead of being grateful for their contribution to this country those in power have betrayed and disowned their children, many of whom are (like me) in their 60's. They are as British as I am and many (like me) have carried rifle and pack and worn the military and civilian uniforms of our country with pride. I am utterly shocked that they should be so betrayed and hope that my insignificant voice can somehow add to those already calling for justice and common decency. I hope, as our Government reps stand at the Cenotaph this year, they will take notice of the West Indian ex-servicemen and see that they wear with pride the same medals as the rest of us. That they and their children should be treated so shabbily really upsets me.
youre ashamed ? why ? what have you done in relation to this that you feel ashamed.? I too think its a bit of a shit sbow but i cant bear this over the top hand wringing guilt , as for the assertion "they are as british as i am" of course theyre not , im assuming you were born in this country of 2 british parents , then how on earth can someone born abroad of non british parents be "as british as you"?

Last edited:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I agree this whole saga has been handled badly. However, there was one woman I worked with, who came over as a child, and on a daily basis made everyone's life a misery so much so that people would not work with or next to her. It was very difficult to get her to do anything, and although she was hopefully an exception, I would have happily had her deported on a daily basis!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
youre ashamed ? why ? what have you done in relation to this that you feel ashamed.? I too think its a bit of a shit sbow but i cant bear this over the top hand wringing guilt , as for the assertion "they are as british as i am" of course theyre not , im assuming you were born in this country of 2 british parents , then how on earth can someone born abroad of non british parents be "as british as you"?

A lot of the now Commonwealth countries started getting their independence between 1948 (India, Pakistan) right through to the 70s, so when a lot these children were born they were still part of the British 'empire'.
I know people of my age who were born in Cyprus, Germany and Egypt, because their parents were serving there. I know bases are classed as British territory, but not all of them had maternity facilities, so therefore the children were born on foreign soil. They are still British.

Edit to add the dates of Independence in the Carribean.
The following former British Caribbean island colonies achieved independence in their own right; Jamaica (1962), Trinidad & Tobago (1962), Barbados (1966), Bahamas (1973), Grenada (1974), Dominica (1978), St. Lucia (1979), St. Vincent (1979), Antigua & Barbuda (1981), St. Kitts & Nevis (1983).

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A lot of the now Commonwealth countries started getting their independence between 1948 (India, Pakistan) right through to the 70s, so when a lot these children were born they were still part of the British 'empire'.
I know people of my age who were born in Cyprus, Germany and Egypt, because their parents were serving there. I know bases are classed as British territory, but not all of them had maternity facilities, so therefore the children were born on foreign soil. They are still British.

Edit to add the dates of Independence in the Carribean.
The following former British Caribbean island colonies achieved independence in their own right; Jamaica (1962), Trinidad & Tobago (1962), Barbados (1966), Bahamas (1973), Grenada (1974), Dominica (1978), St. Lucia (1979), St. Vincent (1979), Antigua & Barbuda (1981), St. Kitts & Nevis (1983).
bore off for christs sake its a totally different scenario and you know it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes it's a cock up, but I really don't understand why people should feel ashamed either. In the end things will get sorted out, like every other issue.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes it's a cock up, but I really don't understand why people should feel ashamed either. In the end things will get sorted out, like every other issue.

its so.patronising as well

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Where do you stand on this situation?

[tweet]986187232221556737[/tweet]

**** it eh? It'll all be sorted out in the end. No shame necessary.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

And yet you would presumably say you feel proud of your country when it achieves something to which you have not directly contributed - such as winning OIympic medals. If you can feel pride at achievement then why is it not appropriate to feel shame at failure?

As far as not being completely British if you don't have two British parents then I can only say that I find this a pretty horrible concept. My wife's great grandmother was Indian. Does that make here not entirely British? Where do you stop? Genetic investigations down at the clinic? Racial profiling before you can count as a true Brit?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bore off for christs sake its a totally different scenario and you know it.

its exactly what the issue is about, Britain colonial past and British subjects bringing their children here, to live and work as Britons. if they join up the forces, double points.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
What would you replace them with?
This is the worst time for politics in my lifetime.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would honestly rather give Corbyn a chance now! The gutter press will have you believe that would be the worst thing ever and I accept he doesn’t stand out as a strong leader but I think he would have his priorities straight and we desperately need someone who will focus on what the country needs.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm sure it will be of great comfort to those that have already lost their jobs, their homes, not had life saving medical treatment, been held in detention centres or have been deported that "in the end things will get sorted out". You clearly have far more faith in the government than I do.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm sure it will be of great comfort to those that have already lost their jobs, their homes, not had life saving medical treatment, been held in detention centres or have been deported that "in the end things will get sorted out". You clearly have far more faith in the government than I do.

I do because this is a fair country, people come together and help, we also have a system.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
its exactly what the issue is about, Britain colonial past and British subjects bringing their children here, to live and work as Britons. if they join up the forces, double points.

no it isnt, if they were "british" in the first.place there wouldnt have been an issue.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Where do you stand on this situation?

[tweet]986187232221556737[/tweet]

**** it eh? It'll all be sorted out in the end. No shame necessary.

what has that got to do with the post that was quoted ? And no i wouldnt feel "shame"

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And yet you would presumably say you feel proud of your country when it achieves something to which you have not directly contributed - such as winning OIympic medals. If you can feel pride at achievement then why is it not appropriate to feel shame at failure?

As far as not being completely British if you don't have two British parents then I can only say that I find this a pretty horrible concept. My wife's great grandmother was Indian. Does that make here not entirely British? Where do you stop? Genetic investigations down at the clinic? Racial profiling before you can count as a true Brit?

i didnt say any of.what youre implying about 2 british parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here