Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should all teams who fail to reach 38 points...

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe if all the Top Teams stopped buying up the good players from the bottom teams and stockpiling them on the bench or reserves, just to weaken the opposition then maybe the teams down the bottom would be able to compete a bit more and as such amass the 38 points the OP requires

This totally, It makes me sick that money is used in this way. I know we have benefitted from Sir Bloom's wealth - but there is an element
of fairness here to consider as well.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I mean, I've read a staggering amount of bull**** on here since joining in 2004, but frig me, this is right up there.

Points totals mean the square root of F all. The three teams with fewest points get relegated and the team with the most win the league. It's been a tried and tested formula that works acorss multiple countries in multiple sports.

Another thinly veiled dig at the club's perceived poor performances this season, from the one of the board's most spoilt of spoilt brats.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Should all teams that fail to reach 38 points be relegated?

Great idea. Similarly, the teams that pass 75 points should all be declared champions.

They basically are, given that coming FOURTH gets you into the "Champions" League.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact that Leicester can win the league and Man Utd get beaten by West Brom shows that under the right conditions anything is possible. Arguably, Burnley themselves are only a Vardy and Mahrez away from challenging for the title.

The extra money Prem clubs now have as a result of the last TV deal has made a big difference. Now, key players in lower table sides can receive the big bucks and get first team football week in, week out without having to warm the bench of Top 6 club. I think the Prem is stronger than it was a few years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I mean, I've read a staggering amount of bull**** on here since joining in 2004, but frig me, this is right up there.

Points totals mean the square root of F all. The three teams with fewest points get relegated and the team with the most win the league. It's been a tried and tested formula that works acorss multiple countries in multiple sports.

Another thinly veiled dig at the club's perceived poor performances this season, from the one of the board's most spoilt of spoilt brats.

No it isn't, despite all my kvetching this weekend I think we'll get to the magical, well earned, 38 points at Burnley.

Having listened to Baz Glenndening, Steve Mcmanaman and a few other pundits slowly getting more irritated by our half of the league, I just wondered about giving it a proper shake up.

I was actually thinking about the last 5 years of Sunderland, but as I've had a quick fact check it turns out they still would have stayed up despite not reaching the dizzy heights of 40 points since 2011-12.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Maybe the problem is at the top of the league not the bottom.

To punish those teams at the bottom due to the gulf between them and the top 4 seems unbelievable.

Will only get bigger once they get their own way regarding overseas broadcast rights.

Your Mum

Dec 22, 2016
The fact that Leicester can win the league and Man Utd get beaten by West Brom shows that under the right conditions anything is possible. Arguably, Burnley themselves are only a Vardy and Mahrez away from challenging for the title.

The extra money Prem clubs now have as a result of the last TV deal has made a big difference. Now, key players in lower table sides can receive the big bucks and get first team football week in, week out without having to warm the bench of Top 6 club. I think the Prem is stronger than it was a few years ago.

Your mum

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No it isn't, despite all my kvetching this weekend I think we'll get to the magical, well earned, 38 points at Burnley.

Having listened to Baz Glenndening, Steve Mcmanaman and a few other pundits slowly getting more irritated by our half of the league, I just wondered about giving it a proper shake up.

I was actually thinking about the last 5 years of Sunderland, but as I've had a quick fact check it turns out they still would have stayed up despite not reaching the dizzy heights of 40 points since 2011-12.

Yeah, it's the bottom feeders of the Premier League that's the problem. Let's get irritated by the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield for having the audacity to get through their first season in the PL. It's a totally nonsensical argument, and your "kvetching" is not just limited to this weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, it's the bottom feeders of the Premier League that's the problem. Let's get irritated by the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield for having the audacity to get through their first season in the PL. It's a totally nonsensical argument, and your "kvetching" is not just limited to this weekend.

As said the promoted would be exempt.
To quote Barry Glenndening "there are 11 teams worse than Everton and Everton are truly awful".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
...be relegated?

Surely when 3 points are gained from a win, a point a game is the very minimum requirement in order to expect another £100,000,000.

The promoted teams ought to get the first year free, but beyond that all the deadwood should be shipped out.
And replaced with? You're not seriously suggesting that say, the top eight teams in the Championship all deserve automatic promotion? There's a reason clubs are struggling to get to 38 points, and it's NOT because they are 'dead wood'.

If you want to get rid of the under-achievers, placeholders and 'league blockers' why not go the whole hog and say 12 up/down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here