Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should all teams who fail to reach 38 points...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...be relegated?

Surely when 3 points are gained from a win, a point a game is the very minimum requirement in order to expect another £100,000,000.

The promoted teams ought to get the first year free, but beyond that all the deadwood should be shipped out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's actually not a bad idea. I have been surprised by how mediocre the Premier League, possibly because until this season I had little interest in it. But it is pretty clear that most of us in the bottom half just can't compete and therefore maybe if the drop into the championship was more fluid with more teams dropping down it might be more interesting, and the fall less of a burden.

The way it is going it seems inevitable to me that the Premier league won't survive in it's current structure. Premier league division two is almost inevitable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Should all teams that fail to reach 38 points be relegated?

Great idea. Similarly, the teams that pass 75 points should all be declared champions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should all teams that fail to reach 38 points be relegated?

Great idea. Similarly, the teams that pass 75 points should all be declared champions.

Nobody is questioning the quality at that end of the table.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's actually not a bad idea. I have been surprised by how mediocre the Premier League, possibly because until this season I had little interest in it. But it is pretty clear that most of us in the bottom half just can't compete and therefore maybe if the drop into the championship was more fluid with more teams dropping down it might be more interesting, and the fall less of a burden.

The way it is going it seems inevitable to me that the Premier league won't survive in it's current structure. Premier league division two is almost inevitable.

I have been one of the biggest critics of the PL and the disparity between the rich clubs and "the rest", but I am starting to mellow. Leicester winning the league and Burnley making 6th/7th this season are two factors that are starting to make me believe that the rest of us do have a chance to take on the rich kids.

I can see the Top 6 clubs disappearing off to a European Super League at some point in the not too distant future, leaving a more competitive, but poorer, premier league behind. I won't miss them at all!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Relegate the bottom two plus everyone who has the same points as 18th.
Or
Relegate the bottom two plus whoever has been in the division the longest.
Or
Give the bottom 3 a dogs life, they play the team 17 places above them and if they win by 3 goals, then the higher placed team is relegated instead.
Or
Get a great big pitch and the bottom 10 teams put 11 players each on the pitch, rush goalies, last 3 teams to score are relegated
Or
Relegate EVERYONE

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think it's a good idea because it would motivate teams to actually have a bit of a go in away games. Without looking into it properly, I'd imagine that teams below Burnley in 7th would have about 2/3rds of their points gained in home games. Are teams really that strong at home, or do they just not really have a go away? Burnley only won 1 away game all season last season, and haven't improved the team so much to be 7th - they've just actually had a go.

My biggest frustration about this season is how pointless the majority of our away games have been - there's been a resignation about them from the start and barring good performances against basket case clubs, we've largely been pretty laughable away. Even managing to lose without a whimper to West Brom. :facepalm:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe if all the Top Teams stopped buying up the good players from the bottom teams and stockpiling them on the bench or reserves, just to weaken the opposition then maybe the teams down the bottom would be able to compete a bit more and as such amass the 38 points the OP requires

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe if all the Top Teams stopped buying up the good players from the bottom teams and stockpiling them on the bench or reserves,

a maximum squad size would be a very good idea, and minimum number of appearance to retain registration.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For anyone trying to get teams in the bottom half to have a go when playing the larger teams, there is a simple solution, don't relegate anyone and you will get your wish. Particularly if the prize money by finishing position was inversed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If it were an even playing field ? Possibly. Given the HUGE gap in spending between the top 6 and the rest .... don't be so bloody stupid.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
...be relegated?

Surely when 3 points are gained from a win, a point a game is the very minimum requirement in order to expect another £100,000,000.

The promoted teams ought to get the first year free, but beyond that all the deadwood should be shipped out.

How do you decide who comes up from the Championship?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But you could end up with 6 teams getting relegated, which means 6 promoted, and if you think that the 6th placed Championship team will improve the PL then you're deluded.

Not just that....................The 6th placed team at the moment is Millwall which the PL are already having nightmares about, getting into the top flight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here