Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Mostly legal and mostly pikey ways you have saved money

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not proud of this but in the 1990s , my pals and I frequented virgin records on western road. Between the top and bottom floor there were stairs with no security . We would pick a cd or two and then scratch off the security tab on the stairs , out of sight. Then leave.
We justified it by saying Richard Branson could probably afford it

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not proud of this but in the 1990s , my pals and I frequented virgin records on western road. Between the top and bottom floor there were stairs with no security . We would pick a cd or two and then scratch off the security tab on the stairs , out of sight. Then leave.
We justified it by saying Richard Branson could probably afford it

But that's just mindless and pointless vandalism. It's hardly up there with Joe Orton and his library books. I hope you and your pals at least had the consideration to return the CDs to their correct section before leaving.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
But that's just mindless and pointless vandalism. It's hardly up there with Joe Orton and his library books. I hope you and your pals at least had the consideration to return the CDs to their correct section before leaving.

Whoa there. CDs may have left the store

Last edited:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I always used to choose one particular checkout operator in M&S when I had a combination of food and clothing. He was so meticulous with folding the clothing he sometimes forgot to actually scan them!!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A 'reverse pikey' thing i do, as it were, is to leave my day saver ticket at last bus stop I use- no longer needed, so anyone who comes along next can get a free ride or two..

Apparantly sharing tickers is frowned upon, but the driver can't check who paid for it, can they??

#randomactsofkindness #reversepikey #payitforward

Yeah I do that with my day savers, whilst getting off the bus there is always a queue of people to get on and I give mine to someone

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
So there's a cheapo who works in the local supermarket and she is always really arsey stomping about with her big basket of quality cheap yellow stickers at the end of the shift.

Little pikey has beeh rumbled here. Spotted her stashing all the premier reduced stuff behind tins in a different aisle to pick up later. A little Aladdin's cave of fresh fruit, yoghurts, and 20p sandwiches 2 or 3 times a week for her and her minions. I'm sure it's probably against the rules. Dipping into it when I can and saving a few quid per week, win win.

Upgrade brekkie for a few days, sorted

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_070516.jpg
    IMG_20180818_070516.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 448
  • IMG_20180818_074618.jpg
    IMG_20180818_074618.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 448
Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
In a previous job I had a company car and fuel card, I’d always carry a jerry can in the boot and when filling up the work car, fill the can too for my personal car.
Also used to use it for personal trips and fudge the mileage. I used it when moving back to the UK, over 1200km and €300 in tolls. Saved me a fortune. Drove back to my old job in France, dropped the car off at the office then flew home with hand luggage.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
In a previous job I had a company car and fuel card, I’d always carry a jerry can in the boot and when filling up the work car, fill the can too for my personal car.
Also used to use it for personal trips and fudge the mileage. I used it when moving back to the UK, over 1200km and €300 in tolls. Saved me a fortune. Drove back to my old job in France, dropped the car off at the office then flew home with hand luggage.

With all respect, that's downright nicking!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
When I was 17 I went in to Tesco and bought a 2L bottle of Tesco Value water for about 12p.

I went home, cut the barcode out, stuck some double sided tape on it and then headed back up to Tesco.

Stuck the barcode on to a 2L bottle of Strongbow and went through the self service checkout.

No I.D required, and less than 20p for 2 litres of drink.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good thread.

I knew at Uni that perfectly good food was being thrown out at a certain time of the morning. I used to set my alarm for 30mins before this, get to the shop at say 4am and then stand there and buy food for pennies whilst they could still legally sell it..

The guy was about to throw roast chickens. I think I agreed to buy about 10 of the little blighters for about £2. Bang them in the freezer. Done.

Get the Olio app. There are several shops, including artisan bakeries, in Brighton, who give food away, rather than throwing it.

https://olioex.com/food-waste/the-problem-of-food-waste/

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When I was 17 I went in to Tesco and bought a 2L bottle of Tesco Value water for about 12p.

I went home, cut the barcode out, stuck some double sided tape on it and then headed back up to Tesco.

Stuck the barcode on to a 2L bottle of Strongbow and went through the self service checkout.

No I.D required, and less than 20p for 2 litres of drink.

I was going to make a comment but I've got to make two trips to the Tesco today.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
In the days of vinyl LPs and C90 cassettes I'd regularly buy LPs from Virgin or HMV, take them home and record them onto cassette and then return the LP to the shop and get a refund using the receipt.

Used to do this with commodore games when they were on cassette.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I never buy a ticket for on street parking in Brighton
I figure the occasional £35 fine is cheaper than lots of £6 pay and display tickets I have not bought.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
A free diesel car off freecycle. Some guy was going back to France and didn't want to take it back, i spoke to the local kebab shop who agreed to let me have their used oil, and i ran it on that with 5 to 10% unleaded mix for three years,

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A 'reverse pikey' thing i do, as it were, is to leave my day saver ticket at last bus stop I use- no longer needed, so anyone who comes along next can get a free ride or two..

Apparantly sharing tickers is frowned upon, but the driver can't check who paid for it, can they??

#randomactsofkindness #reversepikey #payitforward

The bus company would say:

You - litterer
User of ticket: thief

I do this with car park tickets with unexpired time - take the ticket with the sticky bit that’s been stuck to my windscreen and stick it on the ticket machine.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I hop everywhere and make sure that I do it on alternate legs each day. Doubles the life of my shoes.
The force of the hopping wears the shoes out quicker I'm afraid. Go back to walking.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Many moons ago, I went in to a sports shop and asked to see a selection of table-tennis bats. I "accidentally" put the dearest one back in to the box with the lowest price on and bought it. I still feel really sorry for the person who paid a fortune for a cheap and nasty table-tennis bat!

Damn you. I had a wretched season in the Brighton League that year and never noticed!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
About 15 years ago I discovered a Buy One Get One Free loophole which meant the supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys) paid me to buy their goods. It only worked on BOGOF items which were also reduced because of the sell by date and reduced by more than half.

How it worked was this. If a BOGOF item was originally £2.50 and it had been reduced to £1, when you bought two they would charge you 2 x £1 which came to £2, then when your items were totalled at the till it would take the original price of £2.50 off you bill which meant they had paid you 50p to buy their two BOGOF items.

Because I looked out for reduced BOGOF items it wasn't unusual for me to be paid as much as £10 to do my shopping. I always had to make sure I spent more than they paid me as I didn't want to be rumbled because if I wasn't careful I could have got in a situation where when it came to pay for my purchases the supermarket would be giving me money instead of me them which might bring the loophole to an early end.

This loophole lasted about three years before coming to an end. Then when the new Waitrose opened in Hove near the Greyhound Stadium a couple of years ago I discovered the same loophole. I think it was specific to that Waitrose because it was new and they probably hadn't sorted out their systems yet. I became a regular visitor there in the evenings at reduction time. There was another bloke who always used to turn up too as he had sussed the loophole too but it seemed to be just the two of us. It worked for about six months before they discovered it and brought it to a halt. I reckon I got paid around £200 by Waitrose in those six months while it lasted.

Did you by any chance do this in Sainsbury’s west hove with some avocados and buy an iron in the process. Because if you did. I was there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here