Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a Waitrose near where I work and I sometimes pop in for a paper and a sandwich, nothing sadder than the cheapskates scrounging coffee. I once was behind a man at the checkout who's only purchase was a can of Waitrose Savers Vegetable Soup..... 27 p I think it was, and he waved his card and asked for his coffee.
    Like his style!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      The old 5p was indistinguishable to a old Deutschmark (25p) for the cigarette vending machines so my German exchange student got me to bring loads over for cheap fags
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      When we were kids me and 3 mates used to get the buss a short 5 or 6 minute journey to the swimming baths every Sunday morning.

We would always sit up the back of the bus. So by the time the Conductor came to us for our fares we were half way there. The when he asked A for his fare - He would say B has got it. B would say C has got it and the C would say D has got it, who in turn would say A has got the fare. Then by the time the conductor realised what was going on we had reached our destination, this saving 5p each which allowed us to pay for a second session in the swimming baths.

This lasted about 3 years until the Bus company brought in those damned Pay as you enter buses.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arundel_Seagull View Post
      I still use a couple of little savers, but one I will divulge is now defunct. Back in the dial up era NTL offered a 5p per min internet service via an 0345 number. I managed to find a way to access the same gateway via a free 0800 number and got free Internet access for a good while until broadband came out. (so did a lot of those close to me)

* Not sure this was strictly legal
      I can go one better... back in the early eighties, before home internet, I used to go with a mate to his mum's work on a saturday morning, pretending we wanted to use the photocopier (pikey in itself). We would then go out of the fire escape and break into the other office on that floor. One of the people in there used a thing called PSS (packet switch streaming) to get international calls from a local number. This was a data only service that allowed you to connect to certain servers overseas directly (this pre-dated the internet!). That person would keep their user ID, password and phone number written on a piece of paper sellotaped to their desk.

Using their PSS account we used to then access a server in the states (using my acoustic modem - that's how old this was!) running a game called MUD (multi-user dungeon) which was a pre-cursor to the massive online role playing games available now. We must have racked up thousands of pounds of debt on their PSS account calling US numbers to play an online game for hours throughout the night, while only racking up local call charges at home.

It was the second ridiculous quarterly telephone phone bill at home that eventually killed our fun and that was just for the local calls!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      need to save money. Then you list all the places you eat out
      Well most of us like/need to save money

And that's not all the places I eat out. I just run away from the more expensive ones or get someone else to pay (I thought these were too illegal and pikey to post - against the spirit of the thread). Except on a Wednesday when I wash up at the local chinese in return for a bowl of plain noodles. Oh and Tuesdays can be busy too as I have to sign on, but the job centre is next to a clinic so I go and get free condoms and tampons and swap them with people at the job centre for rolling tobacco or a real cigarette on a good day. It's always good to give David the chap at the job centre a couple of the 12p Macdonalds coffee vouchers too. I seem to have no qualms justifying my existence with him.

I'm especially liking the Waitrose tips but I think it's too posh for me

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by marlowe View Post
      Because of environmental concerns Waitrose are phasing out their takeaway coffee cups but they still want to provide their customers with free coffee so in order to do so they are asking customers to bring their own cups. I think you must have lost all sense of personal dignity if you are prepared to bring your own cup in order to get a free coffee. I'm not sure it sets a particularly good precedent in customer relations for a supermarket to be asking their customers to humiliate themselves in order to be granted that little reward. There is a bit of an unhealthy sado-masochistic undercurrent to the whole arrangement. All very venus in furs. Next they'll be asking their customers to turn up in a gimp mask and a straw.
      They sell appropriate cups, complete with lids, and plenty of people already use them.

No loss of dignity. Are you on a wind-up?
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

2 Not allowed!
      Good thread.

I knew at Uni that perfectly good food was being thrown out at a certain time of the morning. I used to set my alarm for 30mins before this, get to the shop at say 4am and then stand there and buy food for pennies whilst they could still legally sell it..

The guy was about to throw roast chickens. I think I agreed to buy about 10 of the little blighters for about £2. Bang them in the freezer. Done.
      The Bernie Taupin of the Football Chant world

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      Well most of us like/need to save money

And that's not all the places I eat out. I just run away from the more expensive ones or get someone else to pay (I thought these were too illegal and pikey to post - against the spirit of the thread). Except on a Wednesday when I wash up at the local chinese in return for a bowl of plain noodles. Oh and Tuesdays can be busy too as I have to sign on, but the job centre is next to a clinic so I go and get free condoms and tampons and swap them with people at the job centre for rolling tobacco or a real cigarette on a good day. It's always good to give David the chap at the job centre a couple of the 12p Macdonalds coffee vouchers too. I seem to have no qualms justifying my existence with him.

I'm especially liking the Waitrose tips but I think it's too posh for me
      Righto. Just you said you were skint. Seems strange to be eating out at all.
      Nearly.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      When we were kids me and 3 mates used to get the buss a short 5 or 6 minute journey to the swimming baths every Sunday morning.

We would always sit up the back of the bus. So by the time the Conductor came to us for our fares we were half way there. The when he asked A for his fare - He would say B has got it. B would say C has got it and the C would say D has got it, who in turn would say A has got the fare. Then by the time the conductor realised what was going on we had reached our destination, this saving 5p each which allowed us to pay for a second session in the swimming baths.

This lasted about 3 years until the Bus company brought in those damned Pay as you enter buses.
      A career in creative accountancy awaits!
      6EQUJ5 2A
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      A career in creative accountancy awaits!
      LOL LOL LOL LOL - Indeed