Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Mostly legal and mostly pikey ways you have saved money

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I got quite lucky when buying some flooring, I git over charged at first, took my receipt back and was reimbursed at the sale price, but they didnt keep my receipt, when i took back 5 packs that I had over estimated they gave me back the origunal higher price, to the tune of £90 profit.

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
Good one if true, not sure it is though, coin mechs are pretty accurate bits of kit, that said mexican pesos (I cant remember what oin it was, it had a hole in the middle like a polo) used to work ib vending machines but I cant remember if they increased or decreased the value of the coin. Either way a good way to get rid of them

I’m talking the twisty jelly bean/minstrel type machines

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When I worked in an office where we had flexi time I would try to arrive early enough to clock in before having my early morning dump thus ensuring I would be earning while crapping .

I usually take a file into the lav while I'm having my post-lunch dump. As I bill by the hour my "Working Sh1t" probably earns me a four-figure sum each year.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When we were kids me and 3 mates used to get the buss a short 5 or 6 minute journey to the swimming baths every Sunday morning.

We would always sit up the back of the bus. So by the time the Conductor came to us for our fares we were half way there. The when he asked A for his fare - He would say B has got it. B would say C has got it and the C would say D has got it, who in turn would say A has got the fare. Then by the time the conductor realised what was going on we had reached our destination, this saving 5p each which allowed us to pay for a second session in the swimming baths.

This lasted about 3 years until the Bus company brought in those damned Pay as you enter buses.

Not forgetting the old Aldrington Halt scam - where miraculously almost a whole train load of folk used to queue at Brighton to get their tickets when getting off the west coast line, all of whom seemingly got on at Aldrington!

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Worked up north in a state school which was turning into an Academy. Academy stated anything with the school stamp/postcode on in the indelible security ink had to be thrown away as it couldn't be insured under their policy (the women was wrong and very stupid).

I found said stamp and stamped it on things I wanted in my house such as a PC & projector, then asked facilities to put them in the top of the skip very gently just before I went home in exchange for me giving them the stamp.

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
Papa johns pizza about 18 month ago had a ‘spin the wheel’ to win prizes on their website, all you had to do was spam in email addresses untill you won, generally took about 5 minutes. I took the piss abit but for a few months every day I would ‘win’ a free pizza on my phone, tablet and work computer. Thought they tasted like cardboard so rarely actually ate any, instead I used to give them away to homeless people, sadly they soon removed the prize wheel

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
bunked the train to Grimbsy and back the first season we got to the championship. Bobbys last game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A generous selection of sausage rolls at my local supermarket next to work, with some spiced turkey rolls catching my eye. $2.19 a roll.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and bought one every day during that week. Absolutely lovely.

The next week, I was particularly hungry and decided to plump for two spiced turkey sausage rolls, only at the checkout to be charged $2.19 total.
I bought two every day last week, without any raised eyebrows.

Today, the appetite for spiced turkey sausage rolls grew larger, so I thought to myself; "what if...".
So I rolled around the corner to the deli in the supermarket, admired the sausage rolls on offer, and almost embarrassingly asked for THREE spiced turkey sausage rolls.
$2.19 total. Forcing myself not to smirk at the absolute bargain I've gotten away with, I quickly shuffle off back to work and inhale my ill-gotten gains.

How long can I get away with this for, is all I can wonder.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A generous selection of sausage rolls at my local supermarket next to work, with some spiced turkey rolls catching my eye. $2.19 a roll.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and bought one every day during that week. Absolutely lovely.

The next week, I was particularly hungry and decided to plump for two spiced turkey sausage rolls, only at the checkout to be charged $2.19 total.
I bought two every day last week, without any raised eyebrows.

Today, the appetite for spiced turkey sausage rolls grew larger, so I thought to myself; "what if...".
So I rolled around the corner to the deli in the supermarket, admired the sausage rolls on offer, and almost embarrassingly asked for THREE spiced turkey sausage rolls.
$2.19 total. Forcing myself not to smirk at the absolute bargain I've gotten away with, I quickly shuffle off back to work and inhale my ill-gotten gains.

You’re on a roll

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Until you eventually get sick of having spiced turkey sausage rolls three meals a day?

Some spend needed, but sign up to various food / pub newsletters, with an 'internet birthday' within the next few weeks, and some send you a voucher for a free bottle of wine, or dessert etc, with a (purchased) meal..

Having 366 Starbucks or Subway cards gets a similar bonus, until the staff notice you. Or so I've been told!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Soaking off and reusing unfranked stamps, possibly the only person still doing it in 2018.

Showering and shaving at work rather than at home.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a young man touring with bands and events companies we would often be bunking on a bus or coach. Before bunking down for the night we would go around the local neighborhood and leave notes for the milkman requesting an extra pint on one doorstep, a pack of bacon on another, loaf of bread, orange juice etc. Then e'd get up super early the next day and go round collecting our free breakfast ingredients. Poor buggers didn't have a clue presumably until the bill at the end of the fortnight.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Soaking off and reusing unfranked stamps, possibly the only person still doing it in 2018.

Showering and shaving at work rather than at home.

I used to know somebody who would spend hours checking bags of opened envelopes for unfranked stamps, he used to cheer every time he found one, they usually came in batches but sometimes he could go through a whole bag and not find one which would leave him rather irate.
This was over 15 years ago,he found hundreds of pounds worth and is probably still using them now as the ones simply marked 1st never go out of date.
He found plenty of high value ones as well which I think he used for parcels.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
In the early nineties I was going through a rough patch and staying rent free with a mate in Holborn,I had hardly any money and my diet consisted mainly of Safeway own brand crackers and cheap pate, occasionally cheese.
Then McDonald's did a no purchase necessary multiple choice scratch card promotion. Then I just trawled round the area walking into McDonald's branches just asking for a scratchcard, some workers would only give me one, others would give me a handful.
When some of the questions were tricky I even went to the library to find out the answers so as not to waste the card. Won plenty of soft drinks and burgers but the big jackpot was when I won a book of vouchers worth £10,I had a big feast that day.
Not the happiest of times for me but those small wins did make life a little bit easier at the time.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
In the early nineties I was going through a rough patch and staying rent free with a mate in Holborn,I had hardly any money and my diet consisted mainly of Safeway own brand crackers and cheap pate, occasionally cheese.
Then McDonald's did a no purchase necessary multiple choice scratch card promotion. Then I just trawled round the area walking into McDonald's branches just asking for a scratchcard, some workers would only give me one, others would give me a handful.
When some of the questions were tricky I even went to the library to find out the answers so as not to waste the card. Won plenty of soft drinks and burgers but the big jackpot was when I won a book of vouchers worth £10,I had a big feast that day.
Not the happiest of times for me but those small wins did make life a little bit easier at the time.

You know what when they did that offer the Macdonalds in Worcester changed their opening time because the amount of queues of school kids trying to get vouchers before school was ludicrous. we lived on CheeseBurgers and Milkshakes

I've just discovered Wetherspoons up here and many branches have got a new machine. 1 pound 25 for a cup and unlimited refills all day, tea, coffee, americano, Latte and it is decent enough, On my 2nd cup now and have my flask in my bag

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here