Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Mostly legal and mostly pikey ways you have saved money

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Times are tight for me and I find myself doing things I wouldnt normally do to save money, pretty pikey in fact . It's amazing how little you can live off when you need to

Here's mine, more tips welcome
100 coffee vouchers macdonalds. 20 quid from Ebay, clearly nicked by a member of staff
O'neills breakfast, 3.29. Add bottomless tea/coffee 1.25. So full English with 2 teas. Less than a fiver. Used the bottomless coffee to fill up my reusable starbucks cup, sit in Starbucks with it still hot and fresh and use their free wifi for a couple of hours. All under a fiver
Mate in Subway swipes my loyalty card on others purchases when I have lunch in there and abuse their free wifi

Anyone got any other tips? Mostly legal and totally cheapskate

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A large coffee in Sainsburys self service cafe fills a regular mug, to the brim.

Boom 30p in your skyrocket right there.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
About 15 years ago I discovered a Buy One Get One Free loophole which meant the supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys) paid me to buy their goods. It only worked on BOGOF items which were also reduced because of the sell by date and reduced by more than half.

How it worked was this. If a BOGOF item was originally £2.50 and it had been reduced to £1, when you bought two they would charge you 2 x £1 which came to £2, then when your items were totalled at the till it would take the original price of £2.50 off you bill which meant they had paid you 50p to buy their two BOGOF items.

Because I looked out for reduced BOGOF items it wasn't unusual for me to be paid as much as £10 to do my shopping. I always had to make sure I spent more than they paid me as I didn't want to be rumbled because if I wasn't careful I could have got in a situation where when it came to pay for my purchases the supermarket would be giving me money instead of me them which might bring the loophole to an early end.

This loophole lasted about three years before coming to an end. Then when the new Waitrose opened in Hove near the Greyhound Stadium a couple of years ago I discovered the same loophole. I think it was specific to that Waitrose because it was new and they probably hadn't sorted out their systems yet. I became a regular visitor there in the evenings at reduction time. There was another bloke who always used to turn up too as he had sussed the loophole too but it seemed to be just the two of us. It worked for about six months before they discovered it and brought it to a halt. I reckon I got paid around £200 by Waitrose in those six months while it lasted.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
There's always blokes in the gym changing rooms who leave their shampoo and shower gel in the cubicles. Swipe 'em up and that does me for next six months.

#pikeycrashcourse

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I always charge my phone and i pad at work.

If its to save money only that is quite cheapskate though if they needed charging doesnt count really

My cousin (this comes under the bordering criminal but definitely pikey section) always makes sure he takes when staying in a hotel/travelodge, and I dont mean towels or slippers, but light bulbs and the little cartons of single use UHT milk and brown suger sachets. Wetherspoons have a wealth of condiments and sachets up for grabs

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
About 15 years ago I discovered a Buy One Get One Free loophole which meant the supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys) paid me to buy their goods. It only worked on BOGOF items which were also reduced because of the sell by date and reduced by more than half.

How it worked was this. If a BOGOF item was originally £2.50 and it had been reduced to £1, when you bought two they would charge you 2 x £1 which came to £2, then when your items were totalled at the till it would take the original price of £2.50 off you bill which meant they had paid you 50p to buy their two BOGOF items.

Because I looked out for reduced BOGOF items it wasn't unusual for me to be paid as much as £10 to do my shopping. I always had to make sure I spent more than they paid me as I didn't want to be rumbled because if I wasn't careful I could have got in a situation where when it came to pay for my purchases the supermarket would be giving me money instead of me them which might bring the loophole to an early end.

This loophole lasted about three years before coming to an end. Then when the new Waitrose opened in Hove near the Greyhound Stadium a couple of years ago I discovered the same loophole. I think it was specific to that Waitrose because it was new and they probably hadn't sorted out their systems yet. I became a regular visitor there in the evenings at reduction time. There was another bloke who always used to turn up too as he had sussed the loophole too but it seemed to be just the two of us. It worked for about six months before they discovered it and brought it to a halt. I reckon I got paid around £200 by Waitrose in those six months while it lasted.

Good job :clap2:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If its to save money only that is quite cheapskate though if they needed charging doesnt count really

My cousin (this comes under the bordering criminal but definitely pikey section) always makes sure he takes when staying in a hotel/travelodge, and I dont mean towels or slippers, but light bulbs and the little cartons of single use UHT milk and brown suger sachets. Wetherspoons have a wealth of condiments and sachets up for grabs

Charging an I pad fully costs around about 1/2 p in electricity. The phone even less. So probably saving myself about £1.50 in costs per year. So yes- cheapskate.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I always charge my phone and i pad at work.

A few years back I worked with a bloke, Mark, and one afternoon he said to the boss "I'm just off to get my hair cut".
The boss said "In work time ??"
Mark, "Yes, it grows in works time"
Boss "It doesn't only grow in works time"
Mark " I know, but I'm not having it all cut off"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A fair few years back I discovered that if I deposited money into a bookie account it accrued purchase points on my Marriott Rewards credit card. It was with Bluesq.com which will give some an idea of how long ago it was,

I then repeatedly deposited and withdrew thousands of pounds every few days and racked up a load of points. I then converted these to Tesco Clubcard points which I then used to buy Virgin Holidays vouchers. A two-week all-inclusive holiday in Cuba was the ultimate result, and hadn't cost me a penny.

This loophole got closed by the introduction of a cash advance fee if depositing to bookies.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A fair few years back I discovered that if I deposited money into a bookie account it accrued purchase points on my Marriott Rewards credit card. It was with Bluesq.com which will give some an idea of how long ago it was,

I then repeatedly deposited and withdrew thousands of pounds every few days and racked up a load of points. I then converted these to Tesco Clubcard points which I then used to buy Virgin Holidays vouchers. A two-week all-inclusive holiday in Cuba was the ultimate result, and hadn't cost me a penny.

This loophole got closed by the introduction of a cash advance fee if depositing to bookies.

That's neither pikey nor cheapskate, thats smart

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
When I worked in an office where we had flexi time I would try to arrive early enough to clock in before having my early morning dump thus ensuring I would be earning while crapping .

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I still use a couple of little savers, but one I will divulge is now defunct. Back in the dial up era NTL offered a 5p per min internet service via an 0345 number. I managed to find a way to access the same gateway via a free 0800 number and got free Internet access for a good while until broadband came out. (so did a lot of those close to me)

* Not sure this was strictly legal

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Waitrose for a coffee (and newspaper if spending over a tenner)

There is a Waitrose near where I work and I sometimes pop in for a paper and a sandwich, nothing sadder than the cheapskates scrounging coffee. I once was behind a man at the checkout who's only purchase was a can of Waitrose Savers Vegetable Soup..... 27 p I think it was, and he waved his card and asked for his coffee.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This was a great scam used by a mate of mine years ago, but might not work any more. If he was hungry, he'd find the number of the local Macdonalds and ring them up saying he had just bought a MaccyD meal but the person serving him had put the drink in the bag which had spilled and ruined it, so could he get a replacement? Normally he'd be put on to the manager who, keen on maintaining good customer service, would sort it. So my mate would just walk up to the counter, tell them his name, and a free meal would be waiting for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here