Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New TV - advice needed

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
LG OLED 55" over here, and blimey it's beautiful. Bit pricey but when they first came out about a year ago they were around the £3k mark - ours was half that.

For those that don't know what OLED is - each pixel is individually powered so when they're off they're off, creating the darkest black possible (and "infinite contrast"), none of that back light bleed around the edges you get with normal LED TV's.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Agree with all the advice regarding Richer Sounds in Brighton buy all my stuff from them, always give good advice. When I bought my last TV they guided me to an LG after realising that as a family we watch the TV from different angles and some TVs were better than others in losing colour saturation when not viewed straight on.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not a fan of LG stuff

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
IMG_1265.JPG Customers House a cool imax room £1.2m

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
As NSC is a fountain of knowledge, no harm in asking this question...

Sharp TV won't come out of standby mode, turns itself off and on but won't get past the Sharp screen.

Read a few things online, power board at the back or downloading some firmware update keep popping up, but not sure where I should be looking for new parts of updates for it. Sharp LC-49CFG6001K is the model number of it.

Any helpful and non helpful suggestions welcome.

(and yes, I have tried turning it off and on again, mate)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As NSC is a fountain of knowledge, no harm in asking this question...

Sharp TV won't come out of standby mode, turns itself off and on but won't get past the Sharp screen.

Read a few things online, power board at the back or downloading some firmware update keep popping up, but not sure where I should be looking for new parts of updates for it. Sharp LC-49CFG6001K is the model number of it.

Any helpful and non helpful suggestions welcome.

(and yes, I have tried turning it off and on again, mate)
Have you tried throwing it out of the window?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I hate threads like this as it makes we want a new telly. Nothing wrong with mine at all, its a perfectly good Samsung smart tv with 3D, never used the 3D bit, but the rest of it is good. Its just new ones are shiny with 4k and better smart interfaces and the LG sounds brilliant with the wand thingy.

I was hoping I could get my 5 year old to break it so I could pretend to be upset and justify getting the latest gadget but he is too sensible, perhaps the Christmas tree can fall on it...........

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I hate threads like this as it makes we want a new telly. Nothing wrong with mine at all, its a perfectly good Samsung smart tv with 3D, never used the 3D bit, but the rest of it is good. Its just new ones are shiny with 4k and better smart interfaces and the LG sounds brilliant with the wand thingy.

I was hoping I could get my 5 year old to break it so I could pretend to be upset and justify getting the latest gadget but he is too sensible, perhaps the Christmas tree can fall on it...........
4k is pointless unless you have a massive TV. Like the curved screen fad, don't be duped....

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
So much choice out there, HD, Ultra HD, 4k, OED, Q-LED, smart TV's, curved, straight screen?? ?????????

What are the differences and what are peoples recommendations for what to purchase, over to the sages of NSC for advice and explanations!

Ty in advance

Ben's Grandad says he's heard those new colour ones are much better than black and white.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I have never been disappointed with the Sony Bravia TV`s i have purchased over the years and the best time to buy is when a new larger/improved model is being launched

There is a report indicating what size screen you purchase depending on the distance from the set you view from, a 40" screen is recommended if you view from 4` to 6` 3",46" screen from 4`-6" to 7` 3" and
50"screen 5` TO 7`9"

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've just upgraded to a 49" Sony effort from a 48" Samsung one. It's that good even the wife notices the improvement in picture quality.

KD-49XF9005 is the model number of the one I've got, I decided against OLED due to them not coming in anything smaller than a 55" screesize and the potential for screen burn.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Original post was April this year, so hopefully the OP has made his mind up.. ???

For those still wanting guidance, AV is my living at the moment - and LG are the way to go. OLED if you can.

If you want premium looks, try Loewe.

Personally, I always look out for 1 year old models secondhand - where the owner is a "must have the latest of the latest" mindset and takes it in the nuts whenever he (frequently) "upgrades".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here