Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duff's Distribution.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think given all the headers he has had in the opposition penalty area. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to score score possibly 2 or 3 goals this season. Which very likely would mean 2 or 3 extra points.
But that doesn't account for all the extra points we've gained from his resolute defending in his primary role.

#NotThe Scapegoat.

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
But that doesn't account for all the extra points we've gained from his resolute defending in his primary role.

#NotThe Scapgoat.

He is a very good defender in my opinion, but i wasn't talking about that!!

I would also expect Propper and Stevens to score between 4- 8 goals between them !! Yes i know they play a little deeper !!

Going back to Duffy. How many headers has he had on target, not many i bet. The ball always seems to go sailing over the bar.
But as i said he is a decent defender. Which is his main job!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I would also expect Propper and Stevens to score between 4- 8 goals between them !! Yes i know they play a little deeper !!

A little!!

With the exception of 1 prolific year (7) Stephens has only scored 2 goals a season in a considerably worse division.
If you wanted Propper to take up the slack then you need to tell CH that, as it's obvious he insists on Davy spending much of the game 50 yards from goal.

This squad played half the season with only 2 strikers.
It's played the other half of the season with just 1 striker, and more substitutes.

It's a minor miracle, based on resolute defending, that has stopped this team being relegated already.
But yes you're quite right everybody should stop defending and make sure they score what is statistically the hardest goals in football.

It's just a shame this squad are clearly as delusional as those fans signing 'we are staying up' on 04.03.

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
A little!!

With the exception of 1 prolific year (7) Stephens has only scored 2 goals a season in a considerably worse division.
If you wanted Propper to take up the slack then you need to tell CH that, as it's obvious he insists on Davy spending much of the game 50 yards from goal.

It's played the other half of the season with just 1 striker, and more substitutes.

It's a minor miracle, based on resolute defending, that has stopped this team being relegated already.
But yes you're quite right everybody should stop defending and make sure they score what is statistically the hardest goals in football.

It's just a shame this squad are clearly as delusional as those fans signing 'we are staying up' on 04.03.

yes, we shall defend with resolution and lose 1-0 most games. So you are saying its the manager's fault, i agree he is a little defensive!. :thumbsup: 41,340 and counting.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Cannot fault Duffy’s effort and commitment but feel Goldson would be a much better player at this level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
yes, we shall defend with resolution and lose 1-0 most games. So you are saying its the manager's fault, i agree he is a little defensive!. :thumbsup: 41,340 and counting.
Clearly not the managers fault.
He looked at the tools he was given and thought 'blimey we'd better defend well'.

Sadly I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Watching the game on my mobile via dodgy stream, I couldn't help but notice how poor Duffy was passing forwards. Place were happy for him to have the ball.

Time to consider Goldson.

Only just spotted that now? This has been going on by all teams, all season. Except Arsenal who were too stupid to bother with anything so gauche as actually researching your opposition.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think Duffy thinks he's a better passer than he is. Dunk is undoubtedly very good on the ball and produces excellent passes (there was one to AK yesterday which was sublime) but he'd be better either giving an easy one to Dunk / Propper / Stephens or putting his foot through it for Murray to try and win.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think that we should bring in Goldson as a 3rd CB to play on Duffys right and play Schelotto as a more attacking wing back. The drawback to that is that Schelottos's crossing of the ball isnt so hot.

That worked really well against Chelsea :facepalm:

So the solution to Duffy's poor distribution is to put him in a position where he is likely to have to play the ball even more :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That worked really well against Chelsea :facepalm:

So the solution to Duffy's poor distribution is to put him in a position where he is likely to have to play the ball even more :nono:

No he would be the stopper and having won the ball give it to Goldson or Dunk to play it out. We started off very slowly against Chelsea giving away 2 early goals and could never get back into the game sufficiently to make the difference.and by trying to conceded more goals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A little!!

This.

Stephens is essentially a deep sitting /defensive CM, shielding the back 4, passing to ball players and providing bite/power/height in the CM battle. He's extremely good at all that, hence the interest from Dyche.

He's never been a regular scorer or someone providing assists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This.

Stephens is essentially a deep sitting /defensive CM, shielding the back 4, passing to ball players and providing bite/power/height in the CM battle. He's extremely good at all that, hence the interest from Dyche.

Just like the bounced thread along the lines of 'who will score our goals'.

Solly was expected (hoped) to score 5 - 10 goals, pretty much doubling his career total.
AK was expected to score more still.
According to today Duffy has let the side down by not scoring at all.
As well as now Stephens and Propper.

But that's ok we're not deluded and have a hunch we'll beat Spurs, causing yet another piss-storm and more scapegoating when the inevitable happens.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This.

He’s excelled himself in the last two matches with two shots on target

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Really hope he starts Goldson. Love Duffy's commitment but as has been commented on his passing is really poor and cannot control his headers. Goldson can do both of these things. He's not as strong in the air but does he need to be given the types of forwards and styles we're playing (bar Burnley where I'd play Duffy). Also, Duffy seems to retreat onto our goal line every game. Did it last season too. He goes so deep he's behind Ryan!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That is not to say I don't rate the guy or think he should be ousted

Yep definitely the only conclusion that can be reached from reading the rest of your post.

I think he should stay in the side so your post is somewhat confusing. I was just refuting your claim that he's only had one accident all season, catastrophic backpasses alone I can think of City, Bournemouth and Huddersfield just off the top of my head.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
While I'm never usually one for singling anybody out, that is simply just not true.

There have been many other clumsy moments throughout the season which thankfully haven't been punished.

I can even take you back to the first game of the season, a game we lost apparently because of a Stephens error, well I remember quite vividly at 0-0 Duffy laying it off to Aguero for a sitter who uncharacteristically missed the target.

He has issues with concentration, I don't think anybody here can deny that. The worrying thing is it doesn't appear to be getting any better. I haven't even delved into the "head it as far as I can rather than worry about any direction" attitude towards heading the ball, which is all fine when defending set pieces, less so when meeting an opposition GK and handing them possession. Then there is the matter of attacking set pieces, where we all thought the signing of Duffy was going to reap the most rewards. He's not even testing the keeper with free headers, some of them have been criminal.

Out of all our players who I could identify as not having a great first (hopefully) season in the PL, Duffy would be one. That is not to say I don't rate the guy or think he should be ousted.

You have a funny way of showing your belief in him... hate to see your opinion of someone you don't rate!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I would also expect Propper and Stevens to score between 4- 8 goals between them
!! Yes i know they play a little deeper !!

Going back to Duffy. How many headers has he had on target, not many i bet. The ball always seems to go sailing over the bar.
But as i said he is a decent defender. Which is his main job!

Why? Why would you expect that?

Why do you think those players alone should contribute so many goals, in a team newly to the Premier League when survival has always been the primary goal (excuse pun!)?

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Only just spotted that now? This has been going on by all teams, all season. Except Arsenal who were too stupid to bother with anything so gauche as actually researching your opposition.

No, I knew he was the weaker in terms of ball control and passing, but thought he'd improved earlier on in the season. Sadly he's dropped a level.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The few times that I have seen BFG this season I have been impressed.
I genuinely think that he is better than Duffy and has more consistency to his game.
Everytime he is given a game I think he does enough to warrant a place in the first team, but then we never see him again.
The BFG and Goldson pairing has had it's moments and should be given another run out.
Won't happen though.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Why? Why would you expect that?

Why do you think those players alone should contribute so many goals, in a team newly to the Premier League when survival has always been the primary goal (excuse pun!)?

Because i am allowed my own opinion! Its a team game but perhaps make that 2-4 goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here