Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duff's Distribution.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Schelotto is too far away from Duffy, the majority of the game. You should generally have no more than 5 -10 yards between your CB and RB.

Schelotto as an attacking threat is frequently 15-20 yds away and rarely tucks in, whereas Bruno is borderline perfect in that respect, but offers a lot less offensively.

Out heaviest defeat in terms of goals conceded have been with Schelotto in the team. Chelsea, Liverpool, Bruno came off vs Liverpool and we still let in another 2.

Yesterday he was really poor.

It depends what you want, a steady defence with more leadership or a flamboyant attacking full-back.

For me it’s an area that needs urgent investment.

Flamboyant, attacking fullbacks have really worked for us ( lowest no. of goals scored away in top ten divisions of English football ) The best crosser, going forward, is Suttner ( doesn't play )
We need fullbacks who can defend properly. Close players down, force them wide and stop them crosses getting into the box. Thats what fullbacks are there for, not to keep rampaging forward, lose the ball and then race back to try and rescue the situation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he should stay in the side so your post is somewhat confusing. I was just refuting your claim that he's only had one accident all season, catastrophic backpasses alone I can think of City, Bournemouth and Huddersfield just off the top of my head.
But then he wasn't used as a non scoring poor passing scapegoat for the end of season woes.
What he was was rightly lauded a defensive rock and excellent (top of the standings) shot stopper.

Your character assassination would have been laughed off this board a month ago.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Clearly not the managers fault.
He looked at the tools he was given and thought 'blimey we'd better defend well'.

Sadly I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Interesting, I have looked at our performane across the last three games and thought all were winnable, we adapted our approach after the West Ham game at home, a season of two halfs for me. We lacked confidence and ambition in the early part of the season but almost had it forced on us from then. We have seen some great football from the squad but also seen some pretty dire performances, mindset and messages from me, would be looking for improvement next season, but survival is the a must.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The few times that I have seen BFG this season I have been impressed.
I genuinely think that he is better than Duffy and has more consistency to his game.
Everytime he is given a game I think he does enough to warrant a place in the first team, but then we never see him again.
The BFG and Goldson pairing has had it's moments and should be given another run out.
Won't happen though.
With the benefit of hindsight I can't help wondering if it would have been better to occasionally rotate our CBs. The Dunk'n'Duffy pairing is clearly running on empty now. If we'd occasionally rested one of them, they might be less shagged out now, and it would also be easier to rest Duffy now, rather than to have to agonise about dropping him.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But then he wasn't used as a non scoring poor passing scapegoat for the end of season woes.
What he was was rightly lauded a defensive rock and excellent (top of the standings) shot stopper.

Your character assassination would have been laughed off this board a month ago.

I pointed out his errors back then too, and I haven't attacked anybody's character. So again, your post is confusing to say the least.

I think he is a great player, but I know he has an error in him, particularly when in possession and is pressed. It's as if you want to be blind to the facts.

You'd be better off responding to someone who actually thinks he should be dropped than wasting your time trying to convince me that what I've personally witnessed isn't true.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I genuinely think that he is better than Duffy and has more consistency to his game.
Everytime he is given a game I think he does enough to warrant a place in the first team, but then we never see him again.
The BFG and Goldson pairing has had it's moments and should be given another run out.
Won't happen though.

Was that against Barnet, or against West Brom's U23s?

Nothing against Uwe - love the bloke - but you need to look at his performances this season in context. Being comfortable in a low key League Cup match, is not the same as being comfortable with Aguero, Salah or Erikssen running at you.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
With the benefit of hindsight I can't help wondering if it would have been better to occasionally rotate our CBs. The Dunk'n'Duffy pairing is clearly running on empty now. If we'd occasionally rested one of them, they might be less shagged out now, and it would also be easier to rest Duffy now, rather than to have to agonise about dropping him.

Good point, well made. I think we all know that Goldson has been unlucky not to get more games. Uwe has never let us down either.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I just don't see this? The Dunk Duffy pairing are so effective, Palace basically set up to avoid them completely. I thought they continue to give everything and don't see any real dip in their performances? They will always make the odd mistake, but cannot see that as being down to fatigue. They had probably played 10 or so more games this time last season.

This isn't to say Goldson or BFG aren't an option, but it wouldn't be because D&D are running on empty for me.

Saturday's defensive shambles was mainly to do with the midfield and full backs as opposed to the centre halves. If anything the only centre half to make a proper mistake was Dunk for the second when he makes no challenge on Tompkins for the initial header, or pick him up again when he was his man.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Nothing against Uwe - love the bloke - but you need to look at his performances this season in context. Being comfortable in a low key League Cup match, is not the same as being comfortable with Aguero, Salah or Erikssen running at you.

Shame we won't find out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Won't happen though.

Chris doesn't think that obviously, and for the 2 1/2 years he has been here he has seen enough of his 4 centre halves to know who his best pairing is.

The players who don't play always improve exponentially with time since their last appearance...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Common sense prevails.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Duffy started the season really well then his form took a real dip before Christmas and to me he hasn't looked at the same level since.

Maybe he was playing above himself at the start of the season or maybe there was another reason for his form tailing off.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Duffy started the season really well then his form took a real dip before Christmas and to me he hasn't looked at the same level since.

Maybe he was playing above himself at the start of the season or maybe there was another reason for his form tailing off.

My point exactly. However I feel he's doing the job defensively, just not good in possession.

It's all about opinions, but that doesn't make him a scapegoat. Many of us prefer certain players in certain positions. Bruno/Schelotto Bong/Suttner. It's nothing personal, I don't think anybody could question Duffy for effort.

Sure it’s all opinions. But mine is I doubt if this one crosses Hughton’s mind, it’s a classic case of fans’ imaginations running away with themselves. That’s completely different to both the full back slots where there is a close case for all 4 players in Hughton’s mind (I’d prefer the old Knocky-Bruno partnership down the right)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Schelotto is too far away from Duffy, the majority of the game. You should generally have no more than 5 -10 yards between your CB and RB.

Schelotto as an attacking threat is frequently 15-20 yds away and rarely tucks in, whereas Bruno is borderline perfect in that respect, but offers a lot less offensively.

Out heaviest defeat in terms of goals conceded have been with Schelotto in the team. Chelsea, Liverpool, Bruno came off vs Liverpool and we still let in another 2.

Yesterday he was really poor.

It depends what you want, a steady defence with more leadership or a flamboyant attacking full-back.

For me it’s an area that needs urgent investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's an area for investment insofar as Bruno isn't getting any younger and has clearly regressed this year. And whilst Bruno may be 5 yards closer to Duffy, he's vastly inferior in the air, offers much less offensively (now), has less pace and he's actually only likely that much closer to Duffy to try and cover his own weaknesses.

I agree Schelotto could be a tad closer to Duffy, but Schelotto himself has been isolated on a number of occasions this season, often being left with the whole of the right flank to himself as a mix of Locadia and Knockaert go walkabouts.

Furthermore, I think it's a tad disingenuous to complain about our biggest losses coming with him in the side - from what I remember of both games (which is a fair bit), none of the goals came down his side (Chelsea's first couple were definitely down Bong's side) and we were outplayed across the whole park.

Lastly, we shouldn't be criticising our full backs for trying to attack. We should be questioning why Duffy struggles so much to play out of the back. Losing the ball in areas that he does often puts the team under a lot of pressure and requires players who've moved out of position to make space to then retreat very quickly back into position, which is difficult at this level. It is no wonder Murray has struggled quite so much the last few games when the distribution out of our defence has been significantly weakened by Duffy's poor passing.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
An interesting stat - the much maligned Chris Smalling completes 11% more of his passes per game than Duffy.

Not that that means much at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just don't see this? The Dunk Duffy pairing are so effective.
More 'was' than 'are' - a while back both we and most pundits were marvelling at our rock solid D and D partnership at the back, and scoring goals against us was a hard task - only Chelsea (playing brilliantly on the day) and Liverpool (you know, that team that tore Man. City a new one not long ago) scored more than two, as far as I can remember. Not any more - now, nobody's raving about D and D and we can't keep a clean sheet for toffee. Running on empty, shagged out, knackered, run out of steam, call it what you will, but they are (and so unfortunately is most of the rest of the team).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
More 'was' than 'are' - a while back both we and most pundits were marvelling at our rock solid D and D partnership at the back, and scoring goals against us was a hard task - only Chelsea (playing brilliantly on the day) and Liverpool (you know, that team that tore Man. City a new one not long ago) scored more than two, as far as I can remember. Not any more - now, nobody's raving about D and D and we can't keep a clean sheet for toffee. Running on empty, shagged out, knackered, run out of steam, call it what you will, but they are (and so unfortunately is most of the rest of the team).

I call it playing in the top flight where every mistake, poor start, call it what you will is punished. We're still 13th because it is a bloody hard league where you have to be at your very best to get anything. I don't think we've been at our best recently, but I don't think we are running on empty either. But such are the narrow margins, a missed penalty here, 1 on 1 missed there, mistake at the back, punished mercilessly.

When you have to play at 100% across the team to win in this league, then any dip or absence can transform your fortunes. Stephen's injury, Knocky's suspension and now Propper's too couldn't have come at a worse time. Last 3 fixtures we've lacked the closing down and organised bite in midfield as well as that confidence in front of goal. I don't think we are running on empty at all, but confidence is a fragile thing when every game has so much riding on it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here