Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For about the last 4-5 games people have been saying “Saints will pick up points there, “ near enough every game. They’ve lost 4, drawn 1, it’s relegation form and you can’t turn that around very easily, especially with Mark Hughes in charge, they didn’t even get a new manager bounce!

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
For about the last 4-5 games people have been saying “Saints will pick up points there, “ near enough every game. They’ve lost 4, drawn 1, it’s relegation form and you can’t turn that around very easily, especially with Mark Hughes in charge, they didn’t even get a new manager bounce!

Mark Hughes is on the verge of overseeing the relegation of two teams in one season. HOW does he keep finding work??

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really don’t think Saints will beat Bournemouth, local derby, no love lost between the fan, and, real bragging rights for Smug Eddies boys if they can send Southampton down.

And , Bournemouth are the better side.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Southampton have also only won 5 games all season

West Ham (H), West Brom (H), Palace (A), Everton (H) - All these prior to November 5 2017

West Brom (A)

They also have to play an FA cup game - If they win three games and we cock up and they also jump the 4 teams between us and them, they deserve to stay up.

I get the maths but like any football fan I want to see it confirmed not in theory.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We lose our remaining games - 36 pts
Southampton beat Bournemouth, Swansea, draw to Everton and lose to City - 36 pts with superior GD
Swansea beat Stoke and draw to Bournemouth - 37 pts
Huddersfield beat Everton lose the rest - 38 pts OR draw Everton and draw Arsenal - 37 pts

It really isn't that unthinkable, in fact the most unlikely part of that is us picking up 0 from 4.

Said for a while we need 37+. If we don't manage to get at least another point, then unfortunately Smug Eddie has a huge part to play in making this less anxious for us, and he isn't renowned for doing us any favours.

This isn't me 'bedwetting', unexpected shit always happens and it wasn't long ago Saints were 2 up against Chelsea and cruising.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's add West Ham into the mixer.

West Ham : 1 Behind plus worse GD by 3

Arsenal A
Man City H

Leicester A
Man Utd H
Everton H

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
"They’ve lost 4, drawn 1, it’s relegation form and you can’t turn that around very easily "..................................thought for a minute you were talking about us !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got one eye on next season and really hope Huddersfield and Swansea stay up as I fancy we'll finish above both of them in 18/19.

I wonder if any West Brom fan wrote much the same about Watford and Burnley, 12 months ago?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Some interesting reading there. They don't rate several of the names that were mentioned in the cherry-picking thread, notably Redmond and Tadic (who really don't seem popular) but a lot of criticism of Long, Romeu and Davis too.

Their main hate object is a bloke called Carrillo who I hadn't noticed at all. Apparently, he cost £19m and isn't even in the squad ... there's some serious money that's been squandered at that club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some interesting reading there. They don't rate several of the names that were mentioned in the cherry-picking thread, notably Redmond and Tadic (who really don't seem popular) but a lot of criticism of Long, Romeu and Davis too.

Their main hate object is a bloke called Carrillo who I hadn't noticed at all. Apparently, he cost £19m and isn't even in the squad ... there's some serious money that's been squandered at that club.

Guido Carrillo, signed from Monaco in January, is their Jurgen Locadia - record striker signing who can't get a game. Slight difference mind, in that Locadia is being kept out by 14 goal Murray, and Carrillo by ONE-goal-in-a-year Shane Long. He played (came on as sub to much excitement) in our match at St.Mary's. Looked okay actually - quite a handful, but clearly has done nothing.

If it doesn't work out for him though, he could earn a few pounds as a Jake Humphrey impersonator.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Saints finished 8th last year, West Brom 10th & Stoke 13th. The moral of the story here is that you have to strengthen every year because everyone else will & you can’t rely on the newly promoted clubs going straight back down.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Guido Carrillo, signed from Monaco in January, is their Jurgen Locadia - record striker signing who can't get a game. Slight difference mind, in that Locadia is being kept out by 14 goal Murray, and Carrillo by ONE-goal-in-a-year Shane Long. He played (came on as sub to much excitement) in our match at St.Mary's. Looked okay actually - quite a handful, but clearly has done nothing.

If it doesn't work out for him though, he could earn a few pounds as a Jake Humphrey impersonator.

Locadia, at least, makes it into the squad.

Long has scored two goals, BTW, he's twice the player you thought he was :lolol:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We lose our remaining games - 36 pts
Southampton beat Bournemouth, Swansea, draw to Everton and lose to City - 36 pts with superior GD
Swansea beat Stoke and draw to Bournemouth - 37 pts
Huddersfield beat Everton lose the rest - 38 pts OR draw Everton and draw Arsenal - 37 pts

It really isn't that unthinkable, in fact the most unlikely part of that is us picking up 0 from 4.

Said for a while we need 37+. If we don't manage to get at least another point, then unfortunately Smug Eddie has a huge part to play in making this less anxious for us, and he isn't renowned for doing us any favours.

This isn't me 'bedwetting', unexpected shit always happens and it wasn't long ago Saints were 2 up against Chelsea and cruising.

All of that is ‘possible’ ... but pretty unlikely really.

I know everyone is trying not to get carried away and I admit when Southampton were 2-0 up against Chelsea I was fearing the worst. However they then managed to lose that game from a winning position and fail to beat a half reserve Leicester with nothing to play for. The chances of them going on a run which sees them get 7 points from the next 9 just seems very unlikely.

For what it’s worth I think they will fail to beat Bmuff or Swansea

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
All of that is ‘possible’ ... but pretty unlikely really.

I know everyone is trying not to get carried away and I admit when Southampton were 2-0 up against Chelsea I was fearing the worst. However they then managed to lose that game from a winning position and fail to beat a half reserve Leicester with nothing to play for. The chances of them going on a run which sees them get 7 points from the next 9 just seems very unlikely.

For what it’s worth I think they will fail to beat Bmuff or Swansea

From the BBC game review - The Saints have recorded just one league victory in their last 21 games - against bottom club West Brom

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I seem to recall a similar stat to that when we went up to WBA and came back with nothing all the same.

Yes we blew it that day, WBA were poor and we were worse. No next year its where CH needs to get changes. Hudderfield, Bournmouth, Palace and Everton away big chances to turn loses into points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Going out on a limb here I reckon Locadia will be immense for us once CH has drilled him in how to be a first choice Albion player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if any West Brom fan wrote much the same about Watford and Burnley, 12 months ago?

I'm not writing either of them off, I'm saying that I fancy we as a club will finish above both of them. The chances are if Southampton do survive they'll spend big over the summer with the Van Dijk cash to ensure they don't flirt with relegation in 2018/19, and that could be one side currently below us that might finish above us in 2018/19. Similarly, if Stoke survive they could cash in on Shaqiri and rebuild over the summer.

The biggest threat for any club that avoids relegation is complacency. It is likely that West Brom, Stoke and Southampton will be relegated while the 3 that came up will all survive. Players on fat, comfortable contracts and managers that know the next payday is just around the corner are a lethal combination.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here