Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
We're both nearly there guys. In fact, I think we've probably got enough all ready to be safe. Imagine that, all three promoted sides surviving our first season :).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We're both nearly there guys. In fact, I think we've probably got enough all ready to be safe. Imagine that, all three promoted sides surviving our first season :).

It would be great. Really pleased it looks like you're staying up, you certainly deserve to, for your home form and home atmosphere. Second season may be more of a challenge though.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
It would be great. Really pleased it looks like you're staying up, you certainly deserve to, for your home form and home atmosphere. Second season may be more of a challenge though.

Aye, I mean we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm more confident though about next season, if we do survive. We've built a really solid side here, what we're lacking is quality and pace going forwards - there was such a delta between where our squad was last season and what we needed, so we focussed on the defence and strikers. (Yesterday aside) players like Ince have just not done enough this season, so I'd expect us to go ham on attacking support players this summer.

Really pleased for you guys too. Always had a soft spot for you lot, since our days in League One (specifically that mental season that you got promoted and we just missed out at Wembley).

The really interesting thing to me is that all the promoted sides didn't go down the usual route of buying 'proven premier league' players (aka carthorse mercenaries). That's got to have helped us this season.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
How often do bookies get it badly wrong?

Stop panicking peeps.

Even allowing for the upcoming fixtures, I'd much rather be in our position than any of the bottom three, and I'm pretty sure the fans of those three will feel the same.

I would also suggest that Huddersfield have used up a massive amount of luck lately. If Duffy hadn't gifted them that goal they would never have scored in that game if they had played for another 90 minutes. According to reports on Saturday they managed only one shot in 95 minutes, AT HOME, against a piss poor Watford side ... and it happened to go in.
Nobody stays lucky for ever.
Huddersfield are most definitely still in the mire.
They have the worst squad in the league by a long way, and I feel that Swansea's squad is also much much weaker than ours.

If CH can drill the team to cut out defensive errors then we WILL pick up additional point(s) this season, but even if we finish on our current points tally I still think the 5 teams I've mentioned will struggle to overtake us.

Nondescript Nick

May 19, 2017
I think we will make it, but the two biggest concerns are obviously our tough fixtures, and the fact that Stoke and Southampton's respective squads have massively underperformed this season.

Teams such as Huddersfield, and dare I say it us, find ourselves in the position we are despite having pretty much wrung as much out of the squad as we could. The concern is that, if Stoke and Southampton somehow manage to get their acts together, they might well be capable of those 3 or 4 wins that could drag them out of trouble.

Such runs of form, both good and bad, are commonplace in the PL. The safest bet of course is to get your own points, rather than rely on the results of others, but this is tempered by our tough run in. Although our points have largely come as a result of being successful flat track bullies, the Arsenal game gives us hope for picking up points against tougher opposition.

Terrier17

Jun 30, 2009

Stop panicking peeps.

Even allowing for the upcoming fixtures, I'd much rather be in our position than any of the bottom three, and I'm pretty sure the fans of those three will feel the same.

I would also suggest that Huddersfield have used up a massive amount of luck lately. If Duffy hadn't gifted them that goal they would never have scored in that game if they had played for another 90 minutes. According to reports on Saturday they managed only one shot in 95 minutes, AT HOME, against a piss poor Watford side ... and it happened to go in.
They have the worst squad in the league by a long way, and I feel that Swansea's squad is also much much weaker than ours.

If CH can drill the team to cut out defensive errors then we WILL pick up additional point(s) this season, but even if we finish on our current points tally I still think the 5 teams I've mentioned will struggle to overtake us.

And yet we still took 4 points off you? Yes we've had luck but had some against us too! I agree we have the worst squad player for player but that doesn't make us the worst team. Just look at Burnley for example. For what it's worth if stoke lose tonight and Southampton on Thursday, we'll both stay up without needing a point.
I'm still pretty confident we'll nick a point or two against Everton and Arsenal at home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And yet we still took 4 points off you? Yes we've had luck but had some against us too! I agree we have the worst squad player for player but that doesn't make us the worst team. Just look at Burnley for example. For what it's worth if stoke lose tonight and Southampton on Thursday, we'll both stay up without needing a point.
I'm still pretty confident we'll nick a point or two against Everton and Arsenal at home.

I would genuinely be surprised if you DON'T beat Everton.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Stop panicking peeps.

Huddersfield are always a good bet to win at home. I'd be amazed if they don't get at least 2 points out of their last couple of home games, maybe all six.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think we will make it, but the two biggest concerns are obviously our tough fixtures, and the fact that Stoke and Southampton's respective squads have massively underperformed this season.

Teams such as Huddersfield, and dare I say it us, find ourselves in the position we are despite having pretty much wrung as much out of the squad as we could. The concern is that, if Stoke and Southampton somehow manage to get their acts together, they might well be capable of those 3 or 4 wins that could drag them out of trouble.

Such runs of form, both good and bad, are commonplace in the PL. The safest bet of course is to get your own points, rather than rely on the results of others, but this is tempered by our tough run in. Although our points have largely come as a result of being successful flat track bullies, the Arsenal game gives us hope for picking up points against tougher opposition.

I have watched a lot of Stoke games and they haven't under performed. They really are that bad

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I dont thin k that is correct but I havent looked at the remaining fixtures but if both lose this week they can still get 12 points which would take then above both of us. Even if they have to play each other that still means 9 points available for 1 team which would take them above us and you.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I can see Southampton getting 7 points, beat Bournemouth for sure and getting up to 4 points from their games against Leicester,Everton and Swansea.

If that`s the case we need 1 point as their goal difference will be better than ours.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can see Southampton getting 7 points, beat Bournemouth for sure and getting up to 4 points from their games against Leicester,Everton and Swansea.

If that`s the case we need 1 point as their goal difference will be better than ours.
Well let's hope Smug Eddie is exceedingly Smug after their game, or that Swansea have already lost their very loseable preceding 3 games.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Well let's hope Smug Eddie is exceedingly Smug after their game, or that Swansea have already lost their very loseable preceding 3 games.

You are right about Swansea, fingers crossed.
Thing is you always get strange results at the end of the season like when Sunderland won at the Etihad and somewhere else unexpected that saved them a few seasons ago.

larus

I dont thin k that is correct but I havent looked at the remaining fixtures but if both lose this week they can still get 12 points which would take then above both of us. Even if they have to play each other that still means 9 points available for 1 team which would take them above us and you.

If it helps you, I put the remaining fixtures in the very first post on this thread !!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
38 points needed minimum

PS: If Watford do not get their point at home to Palace they will get it at home to Newcastle.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If it helps you, I put the remaining fixtures in the very first post on this thread !!!!

Sorry I didnt think to look at that but having done so now the only match against a fellow struggler is Stoke v Swansea. The statement that both will be safe is wrong as 12 points are available to either side which could overhaul us.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sorry I didnt think to look at that but having done so now the only match against a fellow struggler is Stoke v Swansea. The statement that both will be safe is wrong as 12 points are available to either side which could overhaul us.

Congratulations on another five hundred semi literate posts :moo:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Bg, do you really think that Southampton, who only have three wins in their last 26 league games, 2 of which were against WBA, could possibly rattle off 4 (or even 3) wins on the trot. Or Stoke, 5 wins in 28, with their only win against teams in the top half being Watford, could win 4 out of their last 5.

If we were in excactly the same position as either of these two, I'd be looking up train fares to Leeds, Brum, Nottingham,etc for next season

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Stoke : 8 points behind

West Ham A
Burnley H
Liverpool A
Palace H
Swansea A

Southampton : 7 points behind

Leicester A
Bournemouth H
Everton A
Swansea A
Man City H

Swansea : 2 points behind

Man City A
Chelsea H
Bournemouth A
Southampton H
Stoke H

Huddersfield : Behind on GD
Everton H
Man City A
Chelsea A
Arsenal H

Won’t bother with listing ours and Palace are safe.

If we assume that the big 6 win the games against us, then we should assume the same applies to the other teams at the bottom.

Therefore, Stoke need to win 3 of the other 4 games (they need 9 points due to GD).
Southampton need 7 points (I’ll assume they make up the 5 on GD), from 3 away games and 1 home.
Huddersfield could get 0 points from their remaining fixtures - same as us.

I just can’t see Stoke/Southampton closing the gap on us when I look at the fixtures.

Shouldn't we be concerned about West Ham?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here