Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Corners

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There was some research done recently that suggested that over 30 percent of goals are scored from set plays but less than 10 percent of time in training sessions is spent practising them. I'd be amazed if we spend that much ...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Duffy is alright thumping big heavy headers up field that don't require a lot of technique but he has no skill or finesse attacking the ball in the opposition penalty area. Today, late on, he had a clear chance but mistimed his jump completely.
He has no feel or subtlety of touch so improvement will not happen. He would be far better staying away from the ball and making decoy runs to let others get on the end of stuff.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Neither are classy Premier league standard and both have been responsible for leaking goals.. I would prefer to stick with Duffy

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

I agree need to stick with Duffy, just that CG is more of a threat from corners I reckon.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's been a couple of seasons since I haven't wondered when we've been awarded a corner: "why are people cheering this? They almost never come to anything for us"

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Data sample too small
He could have had 4, probably should have had 2 has had none.
Not an issue .... how many centre backs have regularly scored more than 4 goals a season in the top flight?
Doesn't happen

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
The big issue for me at corners is that we don't start deep enough. Start towards the edge of the box and really attack the ball and we can be a foot above the defenders by the time the ball arrives... Too often they are stretching which means no power or control.

That said, Duffy has not hit the target even on the occasions when he has got there at the right time...

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
This is just another sign that - whatever else happens in the summer - our coaching set up needs a massive overhaul

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
What a difference! Every time we get a corner you feel like we have a chance of scoring.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What are coaches for? It’s baffling that there seems to be no improvement to his technique when there’s the potential to get cheap goals and cheap points.
If Duffy was even average at heading , we’d be at least 5 points better off.
As it is, we have to battle to get more difficult goals.
I’m shaking my head

Indeed, what are those coaches doing? Baffling!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Indeed, what are those coaches doing? Baffling!

It's interesting in that CH has said that they're not spending more time on it this season. Murray indicated that midway through last season they did change approach when defending corners, with Duffy the spare/free man, and the rest man-marking (or space-marking a bit further out).
I entirely agree with [MENTION=2437]Dale Jasper[/MENTION] in that the directionality of Duffy's heading last season was poor, and I really can't remember him getting (m)any on target (Dunk did, and had a number saved or cleared off the line). It's Duffy at attacking corners/set pieces that's been the real transformation. His accuracy is now something else, whether heading/shooting directly at goal, or in to a crowded area.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
why don't we put someone in front of the first man? That way we will always get a flick on from Solly's corners.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's interesting in that CH has said that they're not spending more time on it this season. Murray indicated that midway through last season they did change approach when defending corners, with Duffy the spare/free man, and the rest man-marking (or space-marking a bit further out).
I entirely agree with [MENTION=2437]Dale Jasper[/MENTION] in that the directionality of Duffy's heading last season was poor, and I really can't remember him getting (m)any on target (Dunk did, and had a number saved or cleared off the line). It's Duffy at attacking corners/set pieces that's been the real transformation. His accuracy is now something else, whether heading/shooting directly at goal, or in to a crowded area.

Absolutely - it was a running joke last year about how many chances Duffy would miss a game. He's turned that element of his game around this year and upped his defensive quality too. If he can learn to pass accurately over a distance of more than 5 yards, then he really could step up another level which would be great to see.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Pretty lucky we’ve improved from them as not many goals via open play away.....

59f547f26a2f031e9e7b004a5f3e6376.jpg

Or at home!

b48698bf061ee6f0971c52a79e73d98a.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here