Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL not to use VAR next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't say I'm sorry we're not getting it yet. Not been thought out properly yet, IMHO.

Seems to be taking top level football further and further from grass roots football - it's all supposed to be the same great game, ffs!

Jimmy Grimble

Personally VAR for offside makes sense to me. VAR for penalties and the like isn't going to work as they're often subjective.

Agreed.

There must have been a way it could have been rolled out just focusing on offside calls to begin with.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As is stated FIFA have 50% of the votes so to move towards 75% by lobbying would be reasonably simple as has be shown by the venue of forthcoming World Cups. If they wanted it they would get the required votes no problem. The make up of the IFAB consists solely with Football Associations and does not include any leagues who are all bound by their various FA so if required by the Associations and FIFA the Premiere League would have no say in the matter and as such could be ordered to to bring it in.

When I said you're making this up as you go along, it really wasn't an invitation to keep it going.

You said FIFA can do what it wants with the laws of the game. I've shown you to be wrong. Again. And you're still fabricating your own reality to suit your meaningless argument.

IFAB make the rules, not FIFA on their own. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Additionally 'a move towards 75% by lobbying would be reasonably simple as has shown by the venue the forthcoming World Cup' is completely irrelevant in the instance. IFAB don't decide the venue of the World Cups; they're not involved in the process, and FIFA aren't involved in the legalities of VAR. You're confusing two entirely separate concepts. Again.

It must be noted that it is already being used in Germany and no doubt other countries will be persuaded to bring it in.the clubs.

No doubt? None whatsoever? What do you base this crystal clear, unshakeable world view certainty upon? Put it this way, UEFA don't want it in their tournaments.

My view is that the clubs are delaying the inevitable and would be better served looking into solving any problems that exist.

Jesus wept. :facepalm:

That's exactly what they are doing. You started grizzling about them doing just that, then lecture them to do it. You've actually argued against your own point.

If that was so I would but as it isnt there is no need.

That's because you have no concept of reality. Especially when it comes to football and its laws.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When I said you're making this up as you go along, it really wasn't an invitation to keep it going.

You said FIFA can do what it wants with the laws of the game. I've shown you to be wrong. Again. And you're still fabricating your own reality to suit your meaningless argument.

IFAB make the rules, not FIFA on their own. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Additionally 'a move towards 75% by lobbying would be reasonably simple as has shown by the venue the forthcoming World Cup' is completely irrelevant in the instance. IFAB don't decide the venue of the World Cups; they're not involved in the process. You're confusing two entirely separate concepts. Again.

No doubt? None whatsoever? What do you base this crystal clear, unshakeable world view certainty upon? Put it this way, UEFA don't want it in their tournaments.

Jesus wept. :facepalm:

That's exactly what they are doing. You started grizzling about them doing just that, then lecture them to do it. You've actually argued against your own point.

That's because you have no concept of reality. Especially when it comes to football and its laws.

No need for character assassination for someone who disagrees with you on the subject of VAR.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't care whether he disagrees on the subject of VAR or not - some like it, some don't.

That's not what's being debated here.

When you claim someone has no concept of reality you have lost the argument. There is no need to personalise it to such an extent.

I disagree with poster on a number of issues, but one thing he is definitely not guilty of is bullying.

Unfortunately he is often the subject of it on here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you claim someone has no concept of reality you have lost the argument. There is no need to personalise it to such an extent.

I disagree with poster on a number of issues, but one thing he is definitely not guilty of is bullying.

Unfortunately he is often the subject of it on here.

That's because the algorythm feeds off of it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It must be remembered that it is new to our league and refs so had teething problems but that is not so in Germany and Italy although many players apparently would like it to be scrapped.

In Italy its been very unpopular

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think an issue that wasn't, as far as I saw, brought up before that the trials of VAR that the trials have exposed is an underlying culture that will be a big barrier to VAR being a full success: everyone wants to be the referee.

No, no-one really wants to be the referee, that involves too much hard work, responsibility and abuse, but everyone wants to judge every incident as if they are the referee (and I'm as guilty as the next person). We pass judgement on his decisions, tell him why he's wrong

The problem is that most of us don't have any of the training so often make decisions based on what we think the rules are, what we think the rules should be, what the rules used to be when we played 20 years ago etc, and ultimately it is irrelevant - most of the laws are 'in the opinion of the referee' - not a panel of former players, not 99/100 neutral fans, the only person whose opinion matters is the ref's.

One of the big things is that we're seeing the right decision often isn't the popular one. I think that is going to be a big problem with it gaining full acceptance - referees coming to the right decision when people a non-VAR game would probably have seen it slip by. The idea that people will accept the referee's decision if he has used VAR has already been disproven (from the very first game when Palace still challenged the ref after our goal). That's just going to continue to be a problem as fans/players do their own refereeing and think they know better than the trained referee in charge of the match just because their fellow fans/players agree with them.

The complaints around the current version of VAR are feeding this culture - "We need to see what the ref sees", "we need to know why it is being review". We don't need to see what he sees. It's irrelevant how he comes to his decision (barring any sort of corruption) - it's not the referee's job to educate us on the laws of the game What we need to know is what his decision is, that's all we've ever needed. And we get that by the same hand gestures we have for decades, and/or common sense by what happens next.

For me, the only issues with VAR is the time taken (something that would be unavoidable for any 'in the opinion of the referee' calls for which the ref should view the video - the VAR can call any factual "was it this side of the line?" sort of queries), and the potential for refs to become over-reliant on it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
hAVING SPENT 5 YEARS ON sURREY

Additionally 'a move towards 75% by lobbying would be reasonably simple as has shown by the venue the forthcoming World Cup' is completely irrelevant

Having spent 5 years on Surrey FA the vast majority of which was spent on The Rules Revision Committee doing exactly that looking at and recommending rule changes. I am fully aware of the process and also the lobbying that is needed to get rules passed. Nobody is suggesting the passing of a rule or venue of the World Cup is similar only you saying it isnt but what it does show is FIFA ability to lobby and get what they want. If anybody doesnt understand the procedure and talking as a layman with very little knowledge it is you..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Having spent 5 years on Surrey FA the vast majority of which was spent on The Rules Revision Committee doing exactly that looking at and recommending rule changes. I am fully aware of the process and also the lobbying that is needed to get rules passed. Nobody is suggesting the passing of a rule or venue of the World Cup is similar only you saying it isnt but what it does show is FIFA ability to lobby and get what they want. If anybody doesnt understand the procedure and talking as a layman with very little knowledge it is you..

I think you've contradicted yourself in just about every facet of that post.

You said FIFA can do exactly what it wants. Now you're saying all it has to do is lobby. It doesn't even do that successfully. The Bundesliga wants to continue VAR next season. Who has to approve that? IFAB, not FIFA alone.

Being on Surrey FA isn't really in the same ballpark as being a member of IFAB or FIFA. You're no expert - you've proved that; you're every bit the layman as the next person. If you were really aware of the process, you wouldn't have posted that FIFA can change the laws of the game when it feels like it. But you did...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to know what the question is that doesn't result in BG answering:-

'Well I spent 5 years on Surrey FA...'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

You said FIFA can do exactly what it wants. Now you're saying all it has to do is lobby. It doesn't even do that successfully. The Bundesliga wants to continue VAR next season. Who has to approve that? IFAB, not FIFA alone.

Being on Surrey FA isn't really in the same ballpark as being a member of IFAB or FIFA. You're no expert - you've proved that; you're every bit the layman as the next person. If you were really aware of the process, you wouldn't have posted that FIFA can change the laws of the game when it feels like it. But you did...

I would suggest I have a lot more experience of how this works than a know it all on a tin pot local radio station with no football experience at all.other than to be able to name driop.

What I said was true FIFA can with a little effort do what they want and you being a green supporter should realise the value of lobbying to achieve what you want.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I would suggest I have a lot more experience of how this works than a know it all on a tin pot local radio station with no football experience at all.other than to be able to name driop.

What I said was true FIFA can with a little effort do what they want and you being a green supporter should realise the value of lobbying to achieve what you want.

That’s you told!!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jealousy is so unbecoming.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just leave VAR down to off sides and obvious errors. Ref still best person to make judgement on fouls,handball diving etc. Proppers sending off was down to refs opinion and thats what he is there for. Same as our penalty on Monday. Both could have been referred to a studio but then you are just down to opinions not errors

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here