Burgess
Wright
Brown
Wiese
Robinson
Beer
Ishant
Whittingham

I fear they will pick Salt although given Phil's form and technique, Beer is likely to score more runs and has bowled ok in preseason.

Cool and drizzly tomorrow early AM forecast followed by heavy cloud cover.
Think we will be bowling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like Haines, like finch , like whittingham, like Barton, Garton , Rawlins, etc he has a lot to prove.
With the massive exception of archer , this golden generation of youngsters has not delivered. They are to a man, lucky to be pro sportsmen.
Finch will never be good enough for county cricket.
The hype around garton is bizarre. What’s he achieved? Next to nothing.

Hopefully Gillespie will put the pressure on so we can see who is up to it. Some of them must be weeded out.

Blimey, that's a bit harsh. Haines, Rawlins and Barton have played, what, half a dozen FC games between them? They're all still teenagers I believe.

Garton and Whittingham show plenty of promise. More than enough in GG's case - how many England bowlers can bowl at 90 mph+ ?

I'd agree with you about Finch though, there's someone who's had plenty of chances.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Blimey, that's a bit harsh. Haines, Rawlins and Barton have played, what, half a dozen FC games between them? They're all still teenagers I believe.

Garton and Whittingham show plenty of promise. More than enough in GG's case - how many England bowlers can bowl at 90 mph+ ?

I'd agree with you about Finch though, there's someone who's had plenty of chances.

What is your view on Phil Salt Gwillo?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What is your view on Phil Salt Gwillo?

I think he's another Finch TBH although he's had fewer chances. I was there when he made his debut, made a few confident looking shots and then an overly ambitious one - that's Finch's career in a nutshell, as it was Machan's.

But I think Salt's worth looking at - some players take time to find their feet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just looked up Haines, Rawlins and Barton. AB's older than I thought and has less than impressive figures but Rawlins has played six FC games and has scored two 50s already - not bad for someone who's not long turned 20.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If there was ever an opportunity to try and develop (cheap) home grown talent then this is it - no real risk, and plenty of room for them to blossom before the IPL players return. We all know that the only cricket that makes money is the 20/20, so we've got little to lose (other than games of cricket).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just looked up Haines, Rawlins and Barton. AB's older than I thought and has less than impressive figures but Rawlins has played six FC games and has scored two 50s already - not bad for someone who's not long turned 20.

Jofra is a one off and sensational . I’m not expecting all young players to achieve what he has but the others’ progress has been modest. They have had opportUnities, more than they’d get at other counties, I would bet.
Rawlins looked way out of his depth when I saw him last season. Barton too. Garton and whittingham haven’t taken many wickets. Finch....Chichester CC beckons.
Your optimism gives me hope though, gwylan.
Gillespie will enjoy trying to get the best out of them.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Since being at Sussex , Beer seems to have been hugely under used in all formats of the game , even though he still looks about 16 he's now 30 so if he is ever going to be used more surely it's now , i almost forgot we still have the enigmatic Laurie Evans on board i can honestly say iv'e never seen anybody hit a ball as hard as him , trouble is this was pretty rare last season and needs to up his game big time , he has the talent for sure .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jofra is a one off and sensational . I’m not expecting all young players to achieve what he has but the others’ progress has been modest. They have had opportUnities, more than they’d get at other counties, I would bet.
Rawlins looked way out of his depth when I saw him last season. Barton too. Garton and whittingham haven’t taken many wickets. Finch....Chichester CC beckons.
Your optimism gives me hope though, gwylan.
Gillespie will enjoy trying to get the best out of them.

Rawlins and Haines are both highly rated - they're still very young,

Garton has raw pace - that's something you can't coach easily. Dizzy's going to love working with him

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Strong bowling attack, but brittle batting.

I can't see many games going into the 4th day.

But on a positive you need 20 wickets to win games, and we probably have the bowling attack to achieve that, but will we score enough runs to give our bowlers a rest and to apply scoreboard pressure

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Garton and Whittingham show plenty of promise. More than enough in GG's case - how many England bowlers can bowl at 90 mph+ ?.

Garton has raw pace - that's something you can't coach easily. Dizzy's going to love working with him

Not many bowlers about with the natural ability to bowl genuinely quick, and far fewer of those are left armers...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Criticism over Finch a tad harsh tbh. He’s 23, has plenty of time to improve his average of 30 (over 40 for one-day). He has the best technique of our younger batsmen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Criticism over Finch a tad harsh tbh. He’s 23 ...

Exactly - he's not a kid any more. Although, you do have a point about the one-dayers, I was thinking more about as a FC batsman, which is proper cricket, after all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here