Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Elderly drivers.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Generally, regardless of age, sex, driving experience etc there is a proportion who are utterly useless, or simply don’t care. Of course, as we can see from most of the posts on this thread, it’s none of us, we’re all fantastic drivers!

It doesn’t hurt to be a bit more patient and tolerant and to admit you’re in the wrong occasionally - it’s ok to say say sorry if you are in the wrong. If you think it’s bad now it will only get worse: home delivery will increase and the population is getting older, so the proportion of elderly drivers and white vans will increase. In fact the elderly will probably have to work for longer so they’ll be a growing cohort of elderly white van man drivers!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Generally, regardless of age, sex, driving experience etc there is a proportion who are utterly useless, or simply don’t care. Of course, as we can see from most of the posts on this thread, it’s none of us, we’re all fantastic drivers!

It doesn’t hurt to be a bit more patient and tolerant and to admit you’re in the wrong occasionally - it’s ok to say say sorry if you are in the wrong. If you think it’s bad now it will only get worse: home delivery will increase and the population is getting older, so the proportion of elderly drivers and white vans will increase. In fact the elderly will probably have to work for longer so they’ll be a growing cohort of elderly white van man drivers!
I work with one

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm not one for road rage nor can I claim to be the World's best driver. Are some Elderly drivers stupid or just Pig ignorant? The other day I was parking in the car park of a well known supermarket in Uckfield, the expensive one at the bottom of the high street as I don't go to cheap ones, and an elderly driver parked next to me. To my horror the Old Git proceeded to open his door onto the side of my car. I got out of my car to ask him to be more careful. He started to go on about how his car was big and that he needed to open the door as wide as possible as he found it difficult getting in and out. Not a word of apology. This morning I was about to reverse into a parking space in Heathfield, after giving plenty of warning by using my indicator. I checked my rear view mirror as one should. Some stupid Old Git pulled upright behind me. I got out of my car and asked him politely if he was paying attention? He just sat there with a total blank expression on his face. He eventually reversed back so I was able to park.

Don't go anywhere near Morrisons in Seaford, I won't even drive past it, under no circumstances park in the car park.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As you live in Sussex, you may already aware, especially the southcoast dwellings, are a homing beacon to all things of the silver brigade.
They park and drive how they like.
Take Bexhill for example, it's like Scalextric on slow motion.
Double yellows, no parking and junction corners are a speciality of theirs.
Whenever I'm down visiting family, I'll be travelling around, at about 30mph, and I think I'm speeding :laugh:
Inevitably I'll be of that ilk, but whilst I still have my marbles, I'll still moan about it :thumbsup:

Bexhill is indeed a truly mind boggling place to drive around, and I'm afraid to say it's due to the oldies.

I do like the place though, and the acres of free parking on the seafront and near Egerton Park always makes for a nice relaxed day out.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I'm not one for road rage nor can I claim to be the World's best driver. Are some Elderly drivers stupid or just Pig ignorant? The other day I was parking in the car park of a well known supermarket in Uckfield, the expensive one at the bottom of the high street as I don't go to cheap ones, and an elderly driver parked next to me. To my horror the Old Git proceeded to open his door onto the side of my car. I got out of my car to ask him to be more careful. He started to go on about how his car was big and that he needed to open the door as wide as possible as he found it difficult getting in and out. Not a word of apology. This morning I was about to reverse into a parking space in Heathfield, after giving plenty of warning by using my indicator. I checked my rear view mirror as one should. Some stupid Old Git pulled upright behind me. I got out of my car and asked him politely if he was paying attention? He just sat there with a total blank expression on his face. He eventually reversed back so I was able to park.

I am surprised you don't have your shopping delivered as you only shop at upmarket supermarkets. In view of these incidents, have you ever thought you might be the common factor?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Don't go anywhere near Morrisons in Seaford, I won't even drive past it, under no circumstances park in the car park.

But he only shops in expensive supermarkets so doubt if he would touch Morrisons with a barge pole.:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In some supermarkets - or other car parks - there isn't much space. Even more so in some of the older motorway service stations where the car parks were laid out when cars were much smaller than they are now - you can't get out of a car without the door touching the car next to you. Fact of life - live with it, or park somewhere else.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I parked in a car park recently, and when I got back from the shop a lady driver had parked opposite with both bumpers touching. WHY! I was thinking.

She was still in her car when I decided to inspect if there was any damage. The lady did not alter her position, oblivious to any problems. Okay there didn't seem any damage, but I guess she thought that was quite acceptable and probably does it all the time. Quite bizarre.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Is this a bad time to mention that my mate’s 82 year old neighbour drove into his wall at the weekend because he mixed up the accelerator and brake?!
There has to come a time/age when driving competency is tested again? (I’m not sure anyone would argue that driving ability remains constant, no matter how old one becomes?)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When I first me him, my father in law was a confident and competent driver. 20+ years later he was terrible but he wouldn't admit that he was struggling to cope. One evening he drove into a fallen tree, his excuse being "It shouldn't have bloody well been there."

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I always tend to park my car the furthest away from the shop entrance as possible, as old or lazy people who have no consideration would not park that far away and will try to squeeze in to any space so they can save a few yards of walking. (old people, this is understandable) but while I am fit and I like my car without trolley and car door dents I will do this. Though if i do that and there are hundreds of free spaces around me, it does irrationally piss me off if someone then proceeds to park right next to me.

I recently had a problem with my legs, so getting in and out of my little Merc SLK was difficult, so I would park away from everyone else so I could open the door fully, in order to get out comfortably. The number of times I would get back to my car to find someone had parked right next to my door, making i t impossible for me to get in, when there were hundreds of other spots to choose from !

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Over the parking bay white lines making it difficult for you to get back in your car, thats when I get the hump.

I agree but so many cars these days barely fit into the white lines since everyone seems to think that they just HAS to have a damn great Range Rover-y type thing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I recently had a problem with my legs, so getting in and out of my little Merc SLK was difficult, so I would park away from everyone else so I could open the door fully, in order to get out comfortably. The number of times I would get back to my car to find someone had parked right next to my door, making i t impossible for me to get in, when there were hundreds of other spots to choose from !

One of life's mysteries.
I'm sure some people can't actually park unless they are lining their car up next to another one in a car park.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
One of life's mysteries.
I'm sure some people can't actually park unless they are lining their car up next to another one in a car park.

Maybe cars are magnetic, and uncontrollably attracted to each other. I blame one of Newtons laws of motion.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
There do tend to be particular demographics who are prone to poor & inconsiderate driving (middle lane motorway hoggers, pulling out without looking & inability to park.

You can only mention the old these days (& gingers) without being accused of being an 'ist & offending many who like to be offended

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I first me him, my father in law was a confident and competent driver. 20+ years later he was terrible but he wouldn't admit that he was struggling to cope. One evening he drove into a fallen tree, his excuse being "It shouldn't have bloody well been there."

He did have a point

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe cars are magnetic, and uncontrollably attracted to each other. I blame one of Newtons laws of motion.

It’s only fairly recently that there’s been a satisfactory explanation of how Newton’s third law of motion does apply to magnetism (particularly electro-), maybe only the last 4 or 5 years.

I can understand how the lack of a credible explanation could have caused you problems with car door dings until, say, 2013, but you should have been ok since then. :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I do like the place though, and the acres of free parking on the seafront

Well that's it now, you've gone and let the secret out :laugh:

TBF Bexhill has somewhat over taken Hastings a tad, in the way of a centre for entertainment, where the De La Warr Pavilion is getting some decent artists, whereas the White Rock still has god knows what on offer!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am surprised you don't have your shopping delivered as you only shop at upmarket supermarkets. In view of these incidents, have you ever thought you might be the common factor?

I love going to Aldi and lidle and wandering around the middle sections with all the bargains. Bought some brilliant stuff in there that actually was pretty good quality. I bought a electric sander for my model wooden ship building and it cost £15 and is one of the best electric tools sets I have ever bought.

Wouldn't do my weekly shopping there, but they are fascinating places

The worst parking I saw in the car park I worked in was this lady in a Nissan or Datsun managing to park her car across 3 bays right in front of me. I explained to her that she couldn't leave her car like that but she insisted it was ok and she wouldn't move it. I told her it was a council car park regularly patrolled by traffic wardens and she was bound to get a ticket if they see her car like that. Very reluctantly she straightened up her car.
For me though the worst 1s are the people who see someone returning to their car and then just block everyone behind them. Long queues form and yet the floor above is completely free of traffic and plenty of spaces.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here