Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] McCarthy gone from Ipswich

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ungracious and too harsh. The man has played and managed in World Cups and managed at the highest level. He’s had next to nothing to spend at Ipswich but done a very decent job there, getting them to the play offs at least once, off the top of my head. But perhaps more than that, ask anyone who knows about the game, no-one has a bad word to say about him. Mick McCarthy is genuinely one of football’s best, he’s one of the good guys. I wish him well.

Sorry to have whooshed you.

That was a parody of the Roy Keane rant in the Irish dressing room after the world cup debacle some years back....

*cough*

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Entitled Ipswich fans get their wish. Unable to rationalise the effect of their paltry transfers/wages budget on playing prospects.

Ipswich still won't anywhere near the PL for many seasons to come, under any manager.

No sympathy from me, after the ill informed reasons for the banner against the Albion in our first Amex season.

This for me. Those deluded clowns will be celebrating his departure, but he did a great job considering the hand the club dealt him. Always like his bluntness and honesty.

.....and that banner didn’t even make any sense.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think he's what most would call an "old school" proper football person. I tend to judge as to whether I think I would like to work under them as a player, and I suspect I would under MM, I think he'd tell you exactly where you stand and improve you as a player.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Been dealt a pretty rough hand as the Ipswich manager as he's spent little, not had the opportunity to spend more and had to rely for the most part on loans - I, for one, hope he doesn't get the West Brom job as I think he deserves better than that nest of vipers. A good, honest, old school "manager" and, as people have said a good mate of our Chris's. Sure he wouldn't take anything less than a manager's job but he could improve our coaching set up.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Top bloke Mick. Know plenty of people, family included, who've met him and only have good things to say about him. Proper Barnsley.

I met him twice during his time at Wolves. He always has time to speak to fans and despite his dour persona in interviews, he is absolutely charming. A real gent.

I can't think of many managers with his pedigree for getting teams promoted from the Championship (except our Chris). It is no coincidence that Wolves went into free-fall after they sacked him. He has done a phenomenal job on a shoe-string budget at Ipswich. Ipswich fans didn't seem to like his style of play - however he is the kind of Manager that adapts the style according to the players - Wolves played beautiful football in the championship before moving to a more pragmatic style of play once they got promoted. The reason that Ipswich play 'hoof ball', as their fans have been putting it, is because their budget doesn't extend to players that are going to play sexy football.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
If Coleman goes would be more than happy to have him back at Sunderland but imagine he will be much higher up the league system. I think he would be perfect for us in league one telling the wannabes we have in the team what is really going on and that they are now a long way from the premier league. His honesty in post match interviews used to grate on me but looking back it's much better than most.

He is one of those managers that takes you to the premier league but then you sack/pay off. His expertise is undoubtedly taking you up but he is not a pl manager

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Must be nailed on for the West Brom job or certainly should be. Looks like a good fit for club and man to me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He is one of those managers that takes you to the premier league but then you sack/pay off. His expertise is undoubtedly taking you up but he is not a pl manager

If he’s not a PL manager then nor is Hughton. he’s managed there successfully (and then less successfully) for multiple seasons. More than CH.
He also kept Wolves up for 2 seasons in a row. Quite a feat these days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really like MM, hope he gets a decent job - I'm not sure that WBA is the right place.

Definitely one of the good guys - tells it as it is, not one for making excuses. He's a good mate of CH too, that's good enough for me.

Certainly fancy a flutter on Ipswich to go down next year

Good post. It could their ‘Charlton sacking Curbishley’ moment ... allegedly unattractive football p*ssing an ungrateful fanbase off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This for me. Those deluded clowns will be celebrating his departure, but he did a great job considering the hand the club dealt him. Always like his bluntness and honesty.

.....and that banner didn’t even make any sense.

It didn’t. But I took it that they were jealous of the amazing Amex, and being thick as shite, thought we a JCL MK Dons artificial type of club. Whereas they deemed themselves as football royalty due to their golden years under Ramsey and Robson.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ha! Yes, I still can't work out if that banner was praising us or having a pop.

To be honest, I'm not sure if THEY can either :wrong::dunce:

I like Mick – honest bloke who says it how it is, with a good pedigree of getting teams out of the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a thought, he is a good mate of CH how about him joining us in some capacity perhaps as No 2 and making Paul Trollope head coach.or do we already have one I am not sure of the titles of our. back room staff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here