Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] McCarthy gone from Ipswich

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd quite like to see Ipswich in league one. They are like Palace - never really had it tough.

I think your wish may be granted this season? Aren't they the team who have spent the longest in the Championship? If they do go down, who takes over that mantle? DL? Forest? Massive?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think your wish may be granted this season? Aren't they the team who have spent the longest in the Championship? If they do go down, who takes over that mantle? DL? Forest? Massive?

Derby and Forest are next currently on 11 seasons I think.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I'd quite like to see Ipswich in league one. They are like Palace - never really had it tough.
Ipswich haven't had anything like as much fun as Palace in the last 35 years... I should think their fans will quite welcome a foray into the lower divisions as relief from the tedium they have endured...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Paul Hurst sacked with Ipswich bottom of the league. Wonder if the McCarthy haters are pleased with their progress since he left?

Some people will always find something to complain about. If their message boards are anything to go by then they're not happy with the bookies favourite for the role either.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
deserve to end up in League One to me - had a sound manager but decided they were "too good for him"

seems he may have been too good for them …

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I quite like Mick McCarthy. But also I see Ipswich fans point of view. I'd rather have one bad season and reset a division lower than continually watch rubbish football year in year out. (i'm not in any way comparing that to our situation before anyone comments, I quite like the way we play)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ipswich haven't had anything like as much fun as Palace in the last 35 years... I should think their fans will quite welcome a foray into the lower divisions as relief from the tedium they have endured...

Well, unlike Palace they had two European jaunts, once qualifying through league position and once via the fair play place. Of course, various visitors to this site regularly assure us that Palace are aiming at a European place so I’m sure that will happen very, very soon.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hursty is a good manager but the way he'd clearly decided to join 'swich before the Shrews play-off final was poor. Great club and fans and all that but it always seems a bit odd how keen lower league managers are to jump ship for them. I remember Ronnie Moore waving farewell after a game at Rov cos the club had received a telephone enquiry for his services from someone purporting to be Sheepshanks. Turned out to be a hoax

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Better lucky next time Ipswich

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Doesn't help that both Ipswich fans I've gotten to know moderately over the years (one through Uni and one through work) have both been utter tools!

I always think of them as extremely bland and old fashioned as a team. I know they bring through some average young players but I always think of them as a boring team if they even register.

P.S. am 35 for reference so remember them in the Prem but not doing much there either.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Doesn't help that both Ipswich fans I've gotten to know moderately over the years (one through Uni and one through work) have both been utter tools!

I always think of them as extremely bland and old fashioned as a team. I know they bring through some average young players but I always think of them as a boring team if they even register.

P.S. am 35 for reference so remember them in the Prem but not doing much there either.

Sometimes when I'm proper bored I try to list all the grounds I've been to. For a long while I'd always forget Ipswich but now there's a kind of reverse memory thing going on where I always think of them first cos they're so forgettable and out of the way. Although they're nowhere near as inherently dull as all these clubs with rentakit stadia in vanilla cities. But I know what you mean

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Indeed, as long as their team are winning, I don't think too many of their fans will bother what division they are in. Within reason of course.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Before your time I know, but that Bobby Robson side of the 1970's and early 80's was anything but boring, spawning such talent as Terry Butcher and Kevin Beattie, (perhaps the Dunk and Duffy of their day?), Mick Mills, John Wark, Paul Mariner et al, coming so close to winning the old First Division, and capturing the FA a nd UEFA Cups.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Before your time I know, but that Bobby Robson side of the 1970's and early 80's was anything but boring, spawning such talent as Terry Butcher and Kevin Beattie, (perhaps the Dunk and Duffy of their day?), Mick Mills, John Wark, Paul Mariner et al, coming so close to winning the old First Division, and capturing the FA a nd UEFA Cups.

Great team.
The two Dutchman in midfield Thijssen and Murhren were excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great team.
The two Dutchman in midfield Thijssen and Murhren were excellent.

And at a time when foreign players were almost unknown in English football - it provided a bit of an exotic touch to the team,

Don't forget that Ipswich did win the First Division nearly 60 years ago

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Derby and Forest are next currently on 11 seasons I think.

I believe you are correct, we are contenders for that somewhat dubious 'honour'. Whatever you might think of Ipswich, they had some fantastic times over the last 20/30/40/50 years - While you may say they have to high an expectation, that's what comes with relative success, it's not like if Brighton got relegated in a couple of years you'd all be like 'ahh well, we had a good run!' :)

That said, I've actually got several Town supporting friends in Brighton and Shoreham, they're all a bit like most of us, they think their team are mostly a bit sh1t with the occasional high points.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here