Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My father and the Goldstone

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry to hear of your loss but thank goodness he took you to the Goldstone all those years ago.

It will always hurt that he’s not there, but the memories will stay strong.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry to hear of your loss and thanks for sharing the story.

I started not long before you when my Dad took me along to the Goldstone and this put something of a lump in my throat as I have just got back from visiting my Dad in hospital where he is thankfully recovering from a mild heart attack.

Here's to a speedy recovery to the old fella...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry for your loss Al, great tale and one that will last with you for ever
My late dad took me to my 1st game 1964, 8 years old. League cup against Millwall on the chicken run, beer crate to stand on too.

RIP all dads who took their sons to the Albion for their first game.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Another one here, my old man first took me to watch the Albion in about 76, it was as magical to me as you describe. I was only 7 and fell in love for life that first day and I had a special feeling every time I passed the ground whenever we went to Brighton from our home in Portslade. He never made it to the Amex unfortunately, but I think of him everytime I'm there. I think that's all you can do.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry to hear that, may I send my condolencies,

My memories of my father taking start a decade earlier, sitting in the day seats in the east of the south stand:

the toilets were just a wall to pee against

the bloke that used to walk around with that board over his shoulder early in the second half

that half time results conundrum A,B,C etc

the guy selling ice creams from that container he caried around infront of him

the guy with the deep voice who always used shout 'ameteur wa..er' at the away goalkeeper

people moaning about Kit Napier in the same way that somedid about Ashley Barnes

Chelsea coming down and trying to kick us of the pitch, according to Dad

Tommy Steele playing in a testamonial

cigarette smoke

parking by the industrial estate in Newtown Road

My dads still around and I treated him to a 1901 seat,but now he finds it too much, but memories of childhood and youth are mixed with the Albion and football.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry to hear about your loss TLO, lovely tribute to your father.

I was also lucky enough to be taken to The Goldstone by my late father.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry to hear that, may I send my condolencies,

My memories of my father taking start a decade earlier, sitting in the day seats in the east of the south stand:

the toilets were just a wall to pee against

the bloke that used to walk around with that board over his shoulder early in the second half

that half time results conundrum A,B,C etc

the guy selling ice creams from that container he caried around infront of him

the guy with the deep voice who always used shout 'ameteur wa..er' at the away goalkeeper

people moaning about Kit Napier in the same way that somedid about Ashley Barnes

Chelsea coming down and trying to kick us of the pitch, according to Dad

Tommy Steele playing in a testamonial

cigarette smoke

parking by the industrial estate in Newtown Road

My dads still around and I treated him to a 1901 seat,but now he finds it too much, but memories of childhood and youth are mixed with the Albion and football.

Goldstone catering - stands selling the boiled (tinned) burgers and hotdogs.

The PC Beard chant.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In the words of another Bobby Goldsboro song "Love Ain't Never Hurt Nobody"- and this is his legacy of proof to you. It's clear from this, and other things you have said elsewhere before he passed on, how his love and influence has shaped your life. Al, I know how much these events hurt, but in time you will see through your own ways, your values, your standards, that he is never far from you. Take care.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks for writing that lovely tribute to your dad and about your football journey since. I am sure so many of us of that era have so many similar memories and experiences from those times at the Albion. For those of us who do, the club is also like family and is interwoven irredeemably into the fabric of our lives, and so often it was our dads that sparked the love. My dad is still here but is now too unwell to go to any more games, but it was his love of football and the Albion that inspired mine, way back in 1973 as a 6 year old. I can't imagine your pain and hurt, but wish strength for you and your family in these hard days.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry to hear of your loss and thanks for sharing the story.

I started not long before you when my Dad took me along to the Goldstone and this put something of a lump in my throat as I have just got back from visiting my Dad in hospital where he is thankfully recovering from a mild heart attack.

Sorry to hear that, J, but pleased that he is recovering. All the best.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sorry for your loss Al. Like you, I was taken to the Goldstone by my dad for the first time in 1985, now 33 years later I stand in the WSU and he in the WSL and give him a big wave every game. He has been watching the albion for well over 60 years, this one goes out to all the Dads that introduced their sons to the Albion.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Special memories that will last forever.
My Dad didn't take me to my very first game, some friends did. I was so enthused about it, that he was ' persuaded ' to go with me to the next home game. From then on, he was hooked as well. He saw us win on his debut ( as had I ) and when he was clearly dying of cancer and living a long way from Brighton, I knew we had to get in one more game. I wanted a warm, sunny day so he wouldn't get too cold but above all, I wanted him to go out with a win, the same way he had started. The weather and the lads obliged for him.
The Goldstone has a place in all our hearts. We try and forget the late shabbiness and delapidation. We try and remember those sizzling nights under the lights, the mist, the excitement and the atmosphere. Sully's shimmy, Wardy's pace and Lawro's languid brilliance. Nobby and Casey driving us on and also the largely forgotten ones, who briefly became folk heroes for different reasons. Hans Kraay, Ian Goodwin and Paul Clark. Happy days.
Sorry for your loss and well done for a lovely piece of writing.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So sorry for your loss Al

You will never forget that day at the Goldstone.

And the memories of your Dad, will always remain sharp. Being a Brighton supporter from Sussex, like my Dad, has given me an identity through the years.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A lovely tribute - sorry for your loss.
My Dad took me to my first game too and I'll never forget getting hooked on the game - he died 17 years ago and I still miss him. Mind you I look in the mirror and I think I've turned into him !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry to hear about your loss Alan. That’s a lovely story and a fine tribute. It’s a very similar tale to mine....and the same era as well. Remember the good times. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here