Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Who's looking forward to signing up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got it round the wrong way,Navy before Army..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I beg to differ :)

army-and-navy_1_1.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Assuming its the letter I've seen online, he comes across as a right prat-and-a-half.

I spend a fair bit of time at RAF bases and can honestly say he isn’t alone. There appears to be a disproportionate number of cock wombles serving in the RAF. The junior ranks seem fine, but as soon as they make senior NCO they turn into complete and utter twats. I am generalising but when the officers seem more normal than the SNCO’s you know all is not well.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I spend a fair bit of time at RAF bases and can honestly say he isn’t alone. There appears to be a disproportionate number of cock wombles serving in the RAF. The junior ranks seem fine, but as soon as they make senior NCO they turn into complete and utter twats. I am generalising but when the officers seem more normal than the SNCO’s you know all is not well.
My Dad was in the RAF for most of my childhood, so I can agree entirely with your assessment from personal experience. :wink:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Blackbird was too fast for weapons. I'd still love to fly one though, I'm happy taking photos at 2000mph.
Only because they cancelled it (well, a version of it).

(From Wikipedia) During flight tests the YF-12As set a speed record of 2,070.101 mph (3,331.505 km/h) and altitude record of 80,257.86 ft (24,462.6 m), both on 1 May 1965,[9] and demonstrated promising results with its unique weapon system. Six successful firings of the AIM-47 missiles were completed. The last one was launched from the YF-12 at Mach 3.2 at an altitude of 74,000 ft (22,677 m) to a JQB-47E target drone 500 ft (152 m) off the ground.[13] One of the Air Force test pilots, Jim Irwin, would go on to become a NASA astronaut and walk on the Moon.

The program was abandoned following the cancellation of the production F-12B, but the YF-12s continued flying for many years with the USAF and with NASA as research aircraft.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
My Dad was in the RAF for most of my childhood, so I can agree entirely with your assessment from personal experience. :wink:

Apparently my Grand father was a snowdrop (RAF copper) according to my dad he was an absolute arse.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Home Guard. Give me a rifle and five rounds of ammunition and I'll give those Ruskies hell.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
RAF for me. Dis 5 years with them in the 1950s. Despite advanced years, would go back again IF they gave me either B1B Lancer or a JAS39 Gripen to play with, or maybe a SR71 Blackbird

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think I'd fail the Battle Fitness Assessment nowadays,but fit a bipod for my SLR on a disability scooter and I'd be back in like a shot!

Just found my ideal OAP AFV!

OAP AFV.png

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
RAF for me. Dis 5 years with them in the 1950s. Despite advanced years, would go back again IF they gave me either B1B Lancer or a JAS39 Gripen to play with, or maybe a SR71 Blackbird
I'd forgotten about the Gripen - I'll take one of those too, please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here