Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Syria/Russia/UN/Trump/Chemical Attack (think that’s it all covered)....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'd never advocate for the use of chemical weapons against any person or group. The wider point here is that destabilising yet another regime in the middle East with no viable alternative is madness. The idea that we are going after the 'bad guy' is near parody, the Saudi regime is committing similar crimes in Yemen, will May demand a strike there as well?

Nope, we invite them round for tea.

And sell them weapons which is the thing keeping our manufacturing output up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
@realDonaldTrump

"Our relationship with Russia is worse now than it has ever been, and that includes the Cold War. There is no reason for this. Russia needs us to help with their economy, something that would be very easy to do, and we need all nations to work together. Stop the arms race?"

[tweet]984032798821568513[/tweet]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Interesting and unpleasant reading.

Syria war: What we know about Douma 'chemical attack'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43697084

Speaking of supposed false flags operations /conspiracies .. I wonder if it's possible the Ruskies wanted to draw the west further into the Syrian quicksand as a punishment/distraction from the fallout following the Salisbury poisoning. :shrug:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
@realDonaldTrump

"Our relationship with Russia is worse now than it has ever been, and that includes the Cold War. There is no reason for this. Russia needs us to help with their economy, something that would be very easy to do, and we need all nations to work together. Stop the arms race?"

If Russia really did want Trump in the White House I'm guessing they might be having second thoughts .. :shootself

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

Speaking of supposed false flags operations /conspiracies .. I wonder if it's possible the Ruskies wanted to draw the west further into the Syrian quicksand as a punishment/distraction from the fallout following the Salisbury poisoning. :shrug:

I think the false flag argument involves the rebels, who are getting beaten, using chemical weapons against a group of civilians with the hope that Syria is automatically held responsible and the outraged nations pile in on Assad, thus buying them time.

This is especially pertinent given that the US was looking to pull more troops away and become less involved. A chemical attack of this sort was pretty much the only thing which would have brought significant heat upon Assad and he would know this. So the only party involved in this who would gain anything are the rebels, hence the reasoning it may have been a false flag.

As for Trump, it'll be interesting to see how this affects him back at home. He ran on the ticket of no more interventions in the ME and this was popular with his base who saw Hilary as the danger in getting involved with Syria (a common criticism of her). Thus far Trump has needed to keep his core support on side, so what he'll do next will be interesting in more ways than one.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Yep, Russia could have carried this out unilaterally, without Assad. They seem to be poking the nest quite a lot at the moment.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
@realDonaldTrump

Somebody take his phone from him. FFS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think the creators of Twitter ever intended it to be used by the most powerful person on the planet to make international threats and conduct foreign policy.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This shit is getting real.

The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
First thing Russia does is locate troops or personnel at key Syrian points. When the US bombed the runway this time last year they had to clear it with the Russians first to ensure none were present. Syria then redeployed its forces to another airstrip.

Both sides have been argued to have used chemical weapons, both sides have committed atrocities and war crimes. The 'rebels' haven't really been discussed much, perhaps the idea that anyone opposing Assad must be ok is what is being aimed at. In Ghouta, where the chemical attack occurred you have:

Jaysh al-Islam (wants to replace Syria with a sharia law state, possibly funded by Saudi Arabia)
Faylaq al-Rahmna (moderate by the standards we are dealing with)
Hay'at Tahir al-Sham (Syrian version of Al Qaeda)
Harakat Nour al-Din al-Zenki movmement (catchy name but given they beheaded a 15 year old which was distributed online probably not the best bunch)
Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyya (guess what, they also want an ultra religious sharia state also, rivals with Hay'at so that'll work then)

I'd never advocate for the use of chemical weapons against any person or group. The wider point here is that destabilising yet another regime in the middle East with no viable alternative is madness. The idea that we are going after the 'bad guy' is near parody, the Saudi regime is committing similar crimes in Yemen, will May demand a strike there as well?

Nope, we invite them round for tea.

So, if we are going in there at least have the decency to be honest. We'd be doing it for reasons separate to the apparent trigger which involves Russia and pipeline access.

Yep agree, and also let's not forget that the reason why Syria is a mess today is all because of a failed coup d'etat of which our government was instrumental in and backed the rebel groups directly and indirectly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This whole chemcial weapons story is the biggest pile of media manipulation I've ever seen. WHy on earth would Assad use them in a war he was about to win knowing it would give an excuse to bring in the Western war machine;. The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Why would lightly armed rebel fighters gas themselves ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why would lightly armed rebel fighters gas themselves ?
And why haven't they ever used all these gas weapons ( that they supposedly gassed themselves with ) on their actual enemy at any point ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And why haven't they ever used all these gas weapons ( that they supposedly gassed themselves with ) on their actual enemy at any point ?

Nope, far better to gas themselves for the sympathy vote.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm off fishing in the morning, haven't been yet this year but rather worried that by about 6.15 when my alarm goes off we could be in a war.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think one thing is for sure; Trump is never going to leave office without starting a war somewhere. Looks like it'll be Syria.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think one thing is for sure; Trump is never going to leave office without starting a war somewhere. Looks like it'll be Syria.

I think it's a tradition of most US Presidents to start a war .....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Interesting stuff from Peter Ford - Former ambassador to Syria on the current situation.

The BBC hack really didn't get it. No surprise there to be honest.

One thing's for sure, you won't see this interview on the 6 o'clock news :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here