Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] signings likely , or needed, in summer ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, though those stats are misleading. He's scored two goals, unless anyone wants to pretend that he doesn't deserve to be credited with the one he scored on Saturday. And producing the one moment of quality in a game to win a penalty (eg Saints away) is apparently not an assist...

How does Saturday's goal work.
As it was an OG does that mean Solly gets the assist?

If he does it then robs PG of yet another assist, which is a shame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How does Saturday's goal work.
As it was an OG does that mean Solly gets the assist?

If he does it then robs PG of yet another assist, which is a shame.

A good illustration of the futility of placing too much emphasis on assist stats. They are hugely flawed.

If we go along with the nonsense that Saturday's goal was an OG, then you'd assume March gets the assist (though the 1 + 1 tally suggested for March above, gives him neither the goal, nor the assist). If you rightly give it to March, then Gross gets credited with an 'assist' for a five yard sideways pass, whilst March's clever turn to win a penalty doesn't 'count'.

Makes no sense.

Take the penalty that should have won us the Leicester game - Izquierdo was ultimately brought down, but opening up the defence and creating the chance was all March - which would be ignored in the stats altogether.

the stats are interesting, but only illuminating to a point.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Shaqiri would be great but he'll be demanding a king's ransom. I can't see us getting too involved with that.
Zouma may be available to buy from Chelsea, which could be great business.

Rondon could also be an interesting shout from WBA.

If Fulham don't manage to get up via the playoffs, then Tom Cairney may be within the realms of possibility. Before anyone mentions Sessegnon, he's on higher radars.
Also think we'd go back in for Mitrovic if this was the case.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Fulham will be going up automatically in my opinion, can see Cardiff falling away with Villa, Derby, Norwich and Hull amongst their remaining fixtures. Not to mention there will be a huge amount of interest from most of the PL for Cairney and Sessegnon.

Wolves are being bankrolled and we wouldn't be able to take any of their players even if we wanted to with underhanded super-agent Mendes basically in charge of all club dealings, and they cheer his name :facepalm:. I wonder if a few fans of theirs I spoke to last season are still 'against modern football'.

The only player I'd look at in the Championship is Maddison fron Norwich, but they will want a hefty fee and seems Leicester have already earmarked him.

We do need to boost our HG players somehow, esp if we fear Dunk may move on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fulham will be going up automatically in my opinion, can see Cardiff falling away with Villa, Derby, Norwich and Hull amongst their remaining fixtures. Not to mention there will be a huge amount of interest from most of the PL for Cairney and Sessegnon.

Wolves are being bankrolled and we wouldn't be able to take any of their players even if we wanted to with underhanded super-agent Mendes basically in charge of all club dealings, and they cheer his name :facepalm:. I wonder if a few fans of theirs I spoke to last season are still 'against modern football'.

The only player I'd look at in the Championship is Maddison fron Norwich, but they will want a hefty fee and seems Leicester have already earmarked him.

We do need to boost our HG players somehow, esp if we fear Dunk may move on.

Not really miss out on HGP if Dunk moves as his place will be taken by Goldson whose place will be taken by White so as we were.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A good illustration of the futility of placing too much emphasis on assist stats. They are hugely flawed.

If we go along with the nonsense that Saturday's goal was an OG, then you'd assume March gets the assist (though the 1 + 1 tally suggested for March above, gives him neither the goal, nor the assist). If you rightly give it to March, then Gross gets credited with an 'assist' for a five yard sideways pass, whilst March's clever turn to win a penalty doesn't 'count'.

Makes no sense.

Take the penalty that should have won us the Leicester game - Izquierdo was ultimately brought down, but opening up the defence and creating the chance was all March - which would be ignored in the stats altogether.

the stats are interesting, but only illuminating to a point.

I really can't see how it was an own goal as Solly's shot was on target. If a shot hits the woodwork without a deflection then goes in off the keeper, okay, it's an own goal because it wouldn't have gone in without the intervention of the keeper (eg Stockdale at Narch last season). But if the keeper had simply failed to reach Solly's effort, it would have gone in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really can't see how it was an own goal as Solly's shot was on target. If a shot hits the woodwork without a deflection then goes in off the keeper, okay, it's an own goal because it wouldn't have gone in without the intervention of the keeper (eg Stockdale at Narch last season). But if the keeper had simply failed to reach Solly's effort, it would have gone in.

Well quite. That is my argument, too. March effectively SCORED the goal. Lossl simply failed to PREVENT the goal. By any reasonable measure, it's March's goal.

But because of all the betting surrounding football these days, there's no room for reason, is there? Once Lossl's touched it onto the post, and its then rolling along(?) the line, there's a second deflection off his head that send it over the line, and that's technically awarded the goal. The only winning bet on 'First Goal Scorer' was if you backed Mounie. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The keeper touched the ball on the the post, then the ball came out, hitting the keeper before then crossing the line.
Seems like a pretty clear cut OG to me.

I guess the goalie should actually get the assist as well!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The keeper touched the ball on the the post, then the ball came out, hitting the keeper before then crossing the line.
Seems like a pretty clear cut OG to me.

I guess the goalie should actually get the assist as well!!!

Like NAN says, the shot's on target. With no intervention from the keeper, it goes in. The keeper failed to prevent the goal rather than causing it.

Take a look at our almost identical goal in this same fixture last season. Knockaert shot from an identical position, in an identical manner - soft / low / near post. The Hudds keeper (Ward) made a similar hash of it, letting it squirm through him, then grabbed at the ball in a panic and pushed it over the line. Everyone laughed at him, but there was never any suggestion of it being considered an OG :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not very often agree with Stat Brother but do on this ocassion as although the short was on target. as indeed many are, but it was because the keeper dropped the ball onto the post that it went over the line so definitely an own goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So it was Solly's goal then :lol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Like NAN says, the shot's on target. With no intervention from the keeper, it goes in. The keeper failed to prevent the goal rather than causing it.

Take a look at our almost identical goal in this same fixture last season. Knockaert shot from an identical position, in an identical manner - soft / low / near post. The Hudds keeper (Ward) made a similar hash of it, letting it squirm through him, then grabbed at the ball in a panic and pushed it over the line. Everyone laughed at him, but there was never any suggestion of it being considered an OG :shrug:

On Saturday, the 'keeper DID make an intervention and pushed the ball onto the post. He DID save Solly's shot. The ball rebounded from the post and started to roll along the goal line, at which point it hit Lossl's head and trickled into the goal.

The only reasonable decision (on the evidence available) is to credit it as an own goal as the 'keeper saved the original shot by pushing it onto the post (in this sense, it is very similar to Stockdale's own goals against Norwich last season; ball hits post, comes out, hits goalkeeper, enters net).

Of course, it is possible that the ball may have spun back into the goal off the post anyway without touching Lossl (and if it had, it would certainly have been Solly's goal). But there is no way of knowing for sure, and it is besides the point.

With last season's goal, it was Knockaert's original shot that ultimately entered the net (even if it did have some assistance from Ward!). The ball never hit the post and it was never 'not going in'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not really miss out on HGP if Dunk moves as his place will be taken by Goldson whose place will be taken by White so as we were.
Goldson's 25 man squad place will not be taken by White as he was born after 1st January 1997.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Goldson's 25 man squad place will not be taken by White as he was born after 1st January 1997.

You've got to wonder how one person can be so consistently wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here