Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] signings likely , or needed, in summer ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually, I wouldn't mind if we kept Baldock (easy to do - he's under contract until 2020) - he hasn't really had a shot at the PL yet; neither had Stephens, Dunk, Duffy (I think), March and Bruno, and they all stepped up when given a chance. And Baldock as a fourth striker would be a different option to Locadia and Murray (and he's an HGP!). I still think we need to spend big to get the centre forward to get us close to 20 goals a season (unless BG is right about Locadia).
So, as I think we're probably going to have to spend big on a CF, and a huge amount for a goal-scoring game-controlling CM who's better than Stephens or Propper - and for that reason I think all these expectations about getting a new LB, new RB, new winger, new no.10, taller GK and lord knows what else are all pretty much pi$$ing in the wind.

I've always liked Baldock, even at the very beginning, when some were quick to write him off. Searing pace and direct on goal.

But his relentless injuries, and lack of team time available in a 4-5-1 when the 1 has to be a target man able able to hold the ball up and battle centre halves .... seem to limit his use to CH's plans.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suppose it gave a lift at the time and was an insurance policy of a kind in case GM got injured.

It could also be argued that his signing and that of Locadia spurred GM on to produce more. so a worthwhile loan. It must be pointed out that the 3 of them are all different in their style of play and we have continued to play to GM and his strengths and not adapted to change when he has been replaced but still continued to hit high balls that he would have gone for., rather than use Locadia's pace or Ulloa's skill on the ground.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Any improvement on what we have would be a massive coup, a fluke, a work of genius from the recruitment team or a ****ing lot of money that paid off.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
if that is true - not doubting you btw - Solly ought to be careful what he wishes for - he's not done anything to make a PL club come running for him

That's pretty much word for word what I said in response to being told.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I should like to see two more central midfielders , one of whom is physically big and strong who can take the ball forward. The other would be a defensive midfielder who can take people out.

We certainly need another centre forward as not confined by Locadia nor Ulloa on what I have seen and we cannot expect Murray to play much.

We need to review both the fullback positions, there are good cases for the 4 we have but each has a weakness which makes them average.

I think we need to look carefully at our under 23s and bring some(3 or 4) of those into the 25 man squad , this will give encouragement to potential new U23 signings who can see how they could progress. Walton would be the obvious one. i don't think this will weaken the squad as at least 5 players in current squad are probably weaker than them or injured.

Nondescript Nick

May 19, 2017
I've always liked Baldock, even at the very beginning, when some were quick to write him off. Searing pace and direct on goal.

But his relentless injuries, and lack of team time available in a 4-5-1 when the 1 has to be a target man able able to hold the ball up and battle centre halves .... seem to limit his use to CH's plans.

As well as his injuries, his biggest obstacle to being a successful PL striker is that he's a Championship one

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tbh, I've yet to see any evidence that Locadia was worth signing at all, let alone for a club record fee. He's supposed to be fast, but against Leicester he was played in down the right a couple of times and the defenders caught him up every time. His ball control is nothing special. He admits himself that he can't head the ball very well. He doesn't do enough defensively. He's suggested that he doesn't like playing as a lone striker but prefers to come in from the left or play as a number ten - both roles that are already filled. So what is he here for, apart from the kick up the arse he undoubtedly gave Glenn Murray, the effects of which seem to be wearing off?

I'm desperately hoping to be proved wrong, but I don't see how he's going to help the cause very much over the last five games. .

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Tbh, I've yet to see any evidence that Locadia was worth signing at all, let alone for a club record fee. He's supposed to be fast, but against Leicester he was played in down the right a couple of times and the defenders caught him up every time. His ball control is nothing special. He admits himself that he can't head the ball very well. He doesn't do enough defensively. He's suggested that he doesn't like playing as a lone striker but prefers to come in from the left or play as a number ten - both roles that are already filled. So what is he here for, apart from the kick up the arse he undoubtedly gave Glenn Murray, the effects of which seem to be wearing off?

I'm desperately hoping to be proved wrong, but I don't see how he's going to help the cause very much over the last five games. .

You could be right but I think we all had doubts about Izzy. He took a while to settle in but I think he now puts in a good shift and has scored a few cracking goals. It may play out the same way with Locadia. ......let's hope so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Sorry I must disagree as I think that he is faster than all of our strikers available. His ball control is good and his positional sense is also very good. He is two footed so strikes the ball well with either foot. I predict big things from him next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I should like to see two more central midfielders , one of whom is physically big and strong who can take the ball forward. The other would be a defensive midfielder who can take people out.

We certainly need another centre forward as not confined by Locadia nor Ulloa on what I have seen and we cannot expect Murray to play much.

We need to review both the fullback positions, there are good cases for the 4 we have but each has a weakness which makes them average.

I think we need to look carefully at our under 23s and bring some(3 or 4) of those into the 25 man squad , this will give encouragement to potential new U23 signings who can see how they could progress. Walton would be the obvious one. i don't think this will weaken the squad as at least 5 players in current squad are probably weaker than them or injured.

Great post, nailed the issues and solutions.

1. Quality centre forward required (not Ulloa).
2. Powerful attacking CM with pace.
3. Powerful defensive CM.
4. Full back improvements.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry I must disagree as I think that he is faster than all of our strikers available. His ball control is good and his positional sense is also very good. He is two footed so strikes the ball well with either foot. I predict big things from him next season.

I think he'll come good too.

But where will he fit in? In the PL CH plays a 4-5-1, with the 1 a target man with height and the skill of winning the ball with his back to goal (against pairs of towering PL centre halves. That's Murray's forte, but he's approaching the end of his PL days and to date we've got lucky on his lack of injuries. Can Locadia play that vital role?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that we need another Centre Forward as I believe that Locadia will fill the bill with GM as back up. What we need is a 2nd striker like how Ings Defoe or Sterling play

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I take it as that too. But going by NSC posters who go both home and away, so see every minute, Schelotto's been exposed as a poor defender.

The club will have well over another £100m to deal with several positions, SHOULD we stay up.

Scheletto is indeed a poor defender, no doubt. Watch back his attempt to stop Jamie vardy scoring in the Leicester game.
He certainly has qualities though. Chelsea home, he was outstanding

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have seen enough in Locadia which suggests to me that played as the main striker, as he probably will be next season, he will be a resounding success Murray will be on the bench along with ANOTHER possibly Ulloa. So that leaves a cover / competition at CM for Propper and Stephens with Kayal dropping to 4th choice if only 1 CM is signed.

I think we need 2 more CM.We have been very lucky to have 2 from 3 available all season.It could easily have been worse.
If we do sign a RB then maybe Schelotto could be wide midfielder cover.
Baldock hasn't really had a chance to show if he can step up. So we should either let him go or give him that chance. Big Call!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Perhaps playing wide right in front of a new quality RB who can defend? Just an idea.

Maybe. At the end of the day he’s a £2m player. Peanuts in the prem. he’s of limited ability. I would hope we would upgrade rather than building around players of that calibre. Nothing against scheletto , he’s done really well in patches. It’s just natural progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here