Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scarey stat ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No need to be an arse about it. It's a perfectly valid point to make. There have been plenty of discussions about how we haven't been adventurous enough on the road. Huddersfield have 11 and Newcastle 17. We are bottom of the table when it comes to goals scored away from home. The only other team in single figures is West Brom. This forum is here to, you know, discuss things.

Easy 10 hasn't got a problem with it.
There's still lots of discussion in this thread.
The post was a bit tongue in cheek, so not being an arse, but take it whichever way you want.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
.... and also we're due a bag full soon so Palace and Burnley will be fine!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
This is all well and good but before the January transfer windows this board was in meltdown about signing a zillion goalscorers. It just is not that easy scoring away from home and WIN, if it was we would have. It's hard enough to win at home as yesterday proved. We have a lot of improving to do, even with our new signings in the transfer windows plus the summer clear out and new recruitment to come if we survive this season, next season will be even harder.

I just wish everyone could see its not the Houghton defensive factor that is holding us back away from home, it is the quality of our squad that is dictating the amount of goals we score.....look at Man U this season....They park the bus for a lot of the games but they have quality players who can produce with minimum chances (2-3 v City). Negative tactics but still produce results. You can say Hughton has an negative plan but he has not got the quality to win games. Being gun Ho would not change our final position IMHO....We just have not got " enough quality fire power " up front.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
We have scored a grand total of 7 goals on the road all season - and 3 of those came in one night, at a hapless West Ham. Even WBA have managed 8. We are the only 2 teams not to reach double figures in goals scored away from home. So, 4 goals in 14. Pitiful.

I *think* we're going to be alright, being as we're currently being bailed out by the rancid incompetent flotsum beneath us. But 7 goals in 15 roadtrips, with 3 of those 7 goals being scored in 1 game at a comical West Ham...whoa. That is an absolutely DISMAL return. On the flipside, in the A column we've only shipped 19 on the road, which is only 3 more than Burnley and Chelsea. But crikey...we are so heavily reliant on a shutout to get something from half of our games.

I reckon we'll probably just about have enough this season, which will be a fantastic achievement. But holy hell...I'm not sure single figures in the GS column on the road will always be enough, unless our home form is ridiculous.

We are a very small fish in a big pond. What do you expect.? Perhaps better for all fans if we go back down and be Bobby big balls in a small division. Come back with the same argument after 5 years in the Prem and you might have a point. Otherwise it's a bit of a silly argument.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Zaha against Schelotto and Duffy. Mmmmm.

Zaha plays on the right wing, so he will be up against Bong and Dunk.

Bongs defensive style is perfectly suited to nullifying Zaha. He doesnt dive in and he doesn't often get beaten by take ons.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is all well and good but before the January transfer windows this board was in meltdown about signing a zillion goalscorers. It just is not that easy scoring away from home and WIN, if it was we would have. It's hard enough to win at home as yesterday proved. We have a lot of improving to do, even with our new signings in the transfer windows plus the summer clear out and new recruitment to come if we survive this season, next season will be even harder.

I just wish everyone could see its not the Houghton defensive factor that is holding us back away from home, it is the quality of our squad that is dictating the amount of goals we score.....look at Man U this season....They park the bus for a lot of the games but they have quality players who can produce with minimum chances (2-3 v City). Negative tactics but still produce results. You can say Hughton has an negative plan but he has not got the quality to win games. Being gun Ho would not change our final position IMHO....We just have not got " enough quality fire power " up front.

Agree totally with your point that our squad quality has dictated the cautious tactics. Benitez has done the same as Hughton.

Hudd tried their over-rated expansive game against the better teams and other than the narrow home win against ManUre, they were spanked on many occasions. Causing Wagner to change tact completely.

For us, I think next season should be easier, if we’re able to buy in quality strikers and CM’ers this summer with pace.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Zaha plays on the right wing, so he will be up against Bong and Dunk.

Bongs defensive style is perfectly suited to nullifying Zaha. He doesnt dive in and he doesn't often get beaten by take ons.

Did you watch Palace v Liverpool? I did. Hodgson targeted TAA at right back with Zaha and to good effect destroyed him.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We are too cautious away from home. We seem to play 10-20 yards deeper than at home and are so obsessed with defending that when we do get the ball, we invariably give it away. Playing for 0-0’s doesn’t work at this level because teams have too much quality.

The tactics have to change if we want any chance of picking up points at Zaha F.C. or Burnley.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
People seem to defend this stat while almost suggesting that our defensive approach, while boring and leading to few goals scored, has somehow been effective. It hasn’t. Not only are we second bottom in the goals scored table, we’re third bottom in the overall away table with 10 points. Only Stoke (8 points) and West Brom (7 points) have done worse. You could also argue that we were fortunate with the timing of our wins as we played West Ham and Swansea at the times they were each the most shambolic, out of control teams in the entire country. It’s been poor in quality, excitement and results away from home. There is no way of dressing it up.

I'm with you on this. Our away form is awful. Football, as I understand it, is about scoring goals, and ideally more than your opponent. If we score 0 away from home in virtually every game then we're not going to get far. Let's please have a change of tactics for the remaining away games of the season and try, just try to score a goal or two.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I keep asking those who have been complaining about this, recently, and still am yet to receive a reply:-

'What were you actually expecting?'

Personally something like this.

Ryan

Dunk
Duffy

Knockaert
Izquierdo
Gross

Baldock
Hemed
Ulloa
Murray
Locadia

But then again on today’s psychopath test on NSC I’m a loonatic.
Maybe Chris does know best although I think I do personally

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
People seem to defend this stat while almost suggesting that our defensive approach, while boring and leading to few goals scored, has somehow been effective. It hasn’t. Not only are we second bottom in the goals scored table, we’re third bottom in the overall away table with 10 points. Only Stoke (8 points) and West Brom (7 points) have done worse. You could also argue that we were fortunate with the timing of our wins as we played West Ham and Swansea at the times they were each the most shambolic, out of control teams in the entire country. It’s been poor in quality, excitement and results away from home. There is no way of dressing it up.

I think most of us would agree Mr Badger but the conundrum is we have not got the fire power or depth in squad to " have a go ". If we had the most attack minded manager ever I doubt we could have scored many more goals away from home......We just are not good enough. What Hughton brings to this squad is stability and unity and an ability to score more goals against teams we are capable of beating. I doubt if several drubbings whilst " having a go" could achieve that. It would be great if we had a team who sometimes had the ability to throw caution to the wind but I doubt with this squad that we would achieve any better results than we have this season. We came close playing this way against several big teams and might, had we had better players, luck etc nicked a few more points but trying to match far superior teams without caution could result in some calamitous results.
I was happy with the additions in the January window and it will be a magnificent achievement if we stay up. The days of having a go and throwing caution to the wind are for the future when we have a squad that is capable of competing at this very high level....We are not there yet but we are doing well.......slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
First season
Championship players
Lack of experience.
One step at a time
Learning as we go.
Summer transfer window to strengthen

Have I covered it?

No you havn't, losing to WBA was about as low as it could get. Incorrect team setup, ultra defensive strategy with no plan B if we concede is why, it starts at the top and is manifested through the players and the performance. I'm not sure if this will change next season.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We are too cautious away from home. We seem to play 10-20 yards deeper than at home and are so obsessed with defending that when we do get the ball, we invariably give it away. Playing for 0-0’s doesn’t work at this level because teams have too much quality.

The tactics have to change if we want any chance of picking up points at Zaha F.C. or Burnley.

I agree, play like Swansea did at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here