Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal v Southampton

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Great result! Will absolutely love it if they do go down and we stay up. Horrible club, horrible fans. I can safely say that would be the greatest season in my 30 plus years of watching football by a long, long way.

I did predict this for Southampton at the end of last season though so can’t say I’m surprised.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We've really got to collapse now?

Yeah, we played well against Leicester, and deserved more, we were pony against Udders, and got a draw. Both Southampton and Stoke played better than us and yet, we finish the weekend one point better off than both of them. So, collapse may be the wrong word, but, they will both find it very hard if not impossible to catch us. Remember last season when a considerable amount of our support were convinced Udders would catch us, but, as history shows, they folded when the chips were down. I’m not even sure we will need anymore points to be safe.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whats different about his fitness than Baldocks but his goal scoring at this level is better. and he is 1 year younger than Sam.

Baldock is probably going anyway isn’t he but I would certainly hope we’re looking at better players than that tosser/crock. His fitness record actually makes Baldock look the peak of physicality! Plus Austin is a big lad and will struggle more and more as he gets older carrying that bulk around.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There’s a fair chance we’ll lose all our remaining games, as borne out by bookies odds where we’re big underdogs in each (e.g. CP are odds on to win, and us 3/1). Albion don’t travel and always lose against top 5 teams.

A decent argument proposed there, but the chances are that we won't lose all of them.

Local derbies often seem to end up in close games and consequently draws with too much parochial bragging rights at stake for all concerned.

Palace certainly can't afford to lose it, Hughton would probably take a point there. And often more interest with going-ons off the pitch than on it.

Think we'll be good for a draw at Palace and eke out a point against Spurs at home, who were run very close by Stoke yesterday, and/or United.

37-38 points finish and 3-4 clear of the line.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A decent argument proposed there, but the chances are that we won't lose all of them.

Local derbies often seem to end up in close games and consequently draws with too much parochial bragging rights at stake for all concerned.

Palace certainly can't afford to lose it, Hughton would probably take a point there. And often more interest with going-ons off the pitch than on it.

Think we'll be good for a draw at Palace and eke out a point against Spurs at home, who were run very close by Stoke yesterday, and/or United.

37-38 points finish and 3-4 clear of the line.

IF we lost at Palace, do you see us getting a point elsewhere?

The PL / form tables don’t lie and all those teams are far better than us at present.

(Not said gloomily. Despite finishing with LLDLLLLLL we could well stay up!),

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, we played well against Leicester, and deserved more, we were pony against Udders, and got a draw. Both Southampton and Stoke played better than us and yet, we finish the weekend one point better off than both of them. So, collapse may be the wrong word, but, they will both find it very hard if not impossible to catch us. Remember last season when a considerable amount of our support were convinced Udders would catch us, but, as history shows, they folded when the chips were down. I’m not even sure we will need anymore points to be safe.

Spot on. Really struggling to see where Saints are going to pick up min 7 points and Stoke 9, without worrying about Hudds and poss West Ham too. Think Palace and probably Swansea will be safe with their remaining games. Current bottom 3 for me, with Hudds closest to replacing one of them if Saints or Stoke somehow get 2 or 3 wins.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
IF we lost at Palace, do you see us getting a point elsewhere?

The PL / form tables don’t lie and all those teams are far better than us at present.

(Not said gloomily. Despite finishing with LLDLLLLLL we could well stay up!),

I honestly do. Stoke almost got a point yesterday at home to Spurs, Southampton lost by the odd goal today...even West Brom picked up a point!

Maybe the glass is more than half full, but, sloppy backpasses aside, we're hard to beat and so pick up the odd point here and there.

We've created good chances to win both of the last 2 games and a return of just a point was below the 3-4 expected from the NSC poll.

I think we'll do a job on one of the top 5 that will get us at least a point with a good team display along with getting the rub of the green on the day.

On another point, it's interesting to see how few people wanted Southampton to win today...a win that would have put Palace in the bottom 3.

Even local rivalries play second fiddle to survival!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I honestly do. Stoke almost got a point yesterday at home to Spurs, Southampton lost by the odd goal today...even West Brom picked up a point!

Maybe the glass is more than half full, but, sloppy backpasses aside, we're hard to beat and so pick up the odd point here and there.

We've created good chances to win both of the last 2 games and a return of just a point was below the 3-4 expected from the NSC poll.

I think we'll do a job on one of the top 5 that will get us at least a point with a good team display along with getting the rub of the green on the day.

On another point, it's interesting to see how few people wanted Southampton to win today...a win that would have put Palace in the bottom 3.

On that last point, it’s simply wanting everyone below us to not close the gap, especially with our nightmare final fixtures.

If we were on 40 plus points, everyone would want results to conspire against Palace.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
This fight for survival business is turning us all into unabashed, amoral monsters. Any other day I’d feel real sympathy for Southampton after making Arsenal look crap (which, of course, they arguably are) and still getting nothing from it. But right now I’m mightily relieved. Shame on me. Now, c’mon Chelsea!!!

To be honest I rather Arsenal over Saints any day, relegation rivals or not. However don’t think I’m a closet Gooner, I really really dislike them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Almost is not good enough in their positions. it is results that they need, which I dont think that they will get.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We won't lose 6 on the spin. It isn't going to happen. We will pick up at least one more draw. 36pts should be enough as long as our GD is ruined. Teams down the bottom will need 37pts then.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
West Ham have a tough run in as well, Stoke, Man City, Man Utd, and Everton at home, Leicester and Arsenal away. They aren’t that great at home, and are two points, as it stands behind us at the moment, but, the fretters on here aren’t even suggesting they are in a with a of being relegated.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think the 6 losses are very possible based on our poor travelling, opponents and iffy form; but we should still stay up.

Sorry it just isn't going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here