• Duffy

Votes: 152 70.7%
  • Goldson

Votes: 63 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Duffy is fine with the aerial ball coming towards him and he can thump big, heavy headers high back up field. When he is attacking corners and free kicks offensively, nothing changes. Big, heavy headers thumped over the bar. No subtlety, no real touch. .

Too many times he just heads the ball rather than try to control it and get it down to his feet. Yes get it away when you have too but control it when you have the time to. I don't think CH will change though and Duffy will play , he might feel he needs to put in a stormer to make amends, let's hope so.

IF we are to do better in this league ( 6th - 10th finish ) we will need to get players playing football and that for me means Goldson. Hopefully a win at Palace will see him come into the team and show what he can do.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Too many times he just heads the ball rather than try to control it and get it down to his feet. Yes get it away when you have too but control it when you have the time to. I don't think CH will change though and Duffy will play , he might feel he needs to put in a stormer to make amends, let's hope so.

IF we are to do better in this league ( 6th - 10th finish ) we will need to get players playing football and that for me means Goldson. Hopefully a win at Palace will see him come into the team and show what he can do.

Just my point.
The big thumped header 20-30 yards straight to the opposition serves no purpose other than to delay the opposition for about ten seconds. Where are the cushioned headers, the subtlety, the finesse? There is none. Its just basic hoofing except with the head.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It will be Duffy next week, i expect, but Goldson is the better footballer. Duffy is your blood and guts stopper but no real flair on show.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I like goldson but for all his qualities he got muscled out of it a few times in the chsmpionship and I wonder if that did for him.
I don’t think hughton believes he’s physically imposing enough for the premier league.
I doubt he will ever be a regular starter for Albion even if dunk leaves .

Jimmy Grimble

Benteke dominated Duffy in the air at The Amex and I expect will do the same again at Selhurst. Propper ended up shielding him for most of the game and we won't have that option next week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree that Duffy had probably his poorest game for us yesterday, with his dad watching apparently, but I would stick with him against Palace but do wonder about playing 3 CB in a 5 man back row by bringing in Goldson as both Dunk and Duffy are very slow on the ground and we will be against Zaha and Townsend both very quick so Goldson's added pace may be vital.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Benteke dominated Duffy in the air at The Amex and I expect will do the same again at Selhurst. Propper ended up shielding him for most of the game and we won't have that option next week.

Benteke was out injured yesterday. Is he going to be back next week?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Duffy, why wouldn't we? They've been the rock of the team all season.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Duffy doesn't deserve to be dropped based on one very poor performance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pointless thread as Hughton has no history of dropping a regular starting player after a bad performance. It will be Duffy and Dunk against Palace and so it should be!

Was it a bad performance?

Was Duffy's error comparable to Propper and Izquierdo missing gilt edged chances to score a goal / win the game, or Dunk's free header 4 yards out?

I thought Duffy made a single terrible error in the game, but otherwise had a solid commanding performance at the back with Lewis. He made a mistake, we move on. I didn't see it as a bad performance for the other 90mins of the match.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Was Duffy's error comparable to Propper and Izquierdo missing gilt edged chances to score a goal / win the game, or Dunk's free header 4 yards out?

I thought Duffy made a single terrible error in the game, but otherwise had a solid commanding performance at the back with Lewis. He made a mistake, we move on. I didn't see it as a bad performance for the other 90mins of the match.

Dunk passed the ball directly to Pritchard just outside the 18 yard line, and got away with it. Defenders make mistakes. Sometimes it's punished and sometimes not.
Duffy has the most headed clearances in the Premier League. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/head_clearance

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Who would you have partnering Dunk at Selhurst? I'd give Connor a go. We've got enough strength in depth that we can replace players that are low on confidence or under performing.

What? On the back of one poor back pass you are advocating dropping big Shane? Harsh in the extreme. To my mind we need our eleven best players to start every game between now and the end of the season, and Shane Duffy is most certainly one of them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What? On the back of one poor back pass you are advocating dropping big Shane? Harsh in the extreme. To my mind we need our eleven best players to start every game between now and the end of the season, and Shane Duffy is most certainly one of them.

It's not on the basis of one bad back pass. He's been bang average for weeks. Hence the "lost confidence" comment in the OP. But I'd also rather have Goldson's pace against a quick Palace attack and his footballing abillity to hit what I regard as their weak defence quickly on the counter.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Well it was a bad performance but I see no reason to drop him!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why not play both and use Schelotto as more of wing back.

Why do we need to create uncertainty and change the team at all? Duffy made one, ONE, serious mistake against Huddersfield which led to their goal yesterday. Apart from that they offered very little.

To my mind it's entirely wrong for him to be made a scapegoat. The fact that we didn't pick up all three points, was more down to our strikers and missed opportunities of our own. Even with ten men we could, and perhaps should, have won the game in the final fifteen minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here