Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Being too lazy to deal with the whole urination at matches issue, combined with piss anxiety in public and a below average sized penis, (and one not for public consumption), I drink nothing for at least two hours before a game then rehydrate afterwards. While utterly neurotic, it does make for a more relaxing matchday experience.

I don't think anyone will look at your dick while you're having a pee mate.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
As a reformed alcoholic I can sympathise with how some find this a real trouble, giving up I mean.

I was a total soaker, bottle of Vodka a day at least plus 5 or 6 pints after work, I really could not understand how people could leave half a pint in a glass and walk off, I didn't get how anyone could live without something to "help them relax" my problem was I would rarely feel drunk, I would just keep going when all else were falling.

I finally decided to pack it in when my new lady presented me with our second baby. I just was sick of knowing that if I had to take the bay to hospital or somewhere I would be drink driving, I couldn't stand the night feeds while reeking of booze...it was all just too shit,

I stopped. Dead. It was really tough, I was badly missing it for ages but, as time went on it got easier until I didn't miss it.

Now. I'm a classic addict, I have been hooked on drink, opiates and cigarettes in my life, and I've fought hard to conquer all 3. I'm not perfect and I really needed to get to a low point to inspire change but, seriously, if I can do it...literally ANYONE can.

Just tell yourself its just for today, and keep doing that every day.

Good luck. Anyone who wants can PM for advice if needed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Best of luck, sydney mate.

If the GP starts getting all high and mighty, start asking him/her if they drink. You don't need a lecture, you deserve care and compassion. Cutting down is a step in the right direction. Hope everything works out for you fella. :thumbsup:

cheers pal.....i have got a grip .....not that i can really see why i would be bothered but i have and it's ll good buddy...!!x

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Best of luck, sydney mate.

If the GP starts getting all high and mighty, start asking him/her if they drink. You don't need a lecture, you deserve care and compassion. Cutting down is a step in the right direction. Hope everything works out for you fella. :thumbsup:
it aint that bad luv.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't think anyone will look at your dick while you're having a pee mate.

Not an entirely serious post. Due to banging alcohol enduced headaches after as little as half a pint, I've managed about two beers in the last few months. Hoppy beers are apparently one possible cause, which is annoying as they are my preferred tipple.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
I've knocked the drinking on the head too and coincidentally today I am 100 days AF.

The key for me was to 'understand' the science behind alcohol. So I decided to sign up for a free 30 day online experiment - check it out here: https://www.alcoholexperiment.com

Now I finally understand alcohol (I won't spoil the surprises!) I am totally switched off to the idea of drinking. Who knows if I use alcohol again but right now I just don't want to, I've literally no desire whatsoever which, for a moderate binge drinker since my teens and in my late 30s, is quite a turnaround!

If you can spare 10-20 mins a day for 30 days to watch a course of daily videos, read a supporting article and keep an online journal then I'd thoroughly recommend the Alcohol Experiment. If you're just a looking to cut down (which was my initial goal) or go fully alcohol free - well, for me it's been brilliant. Quite possibly a life-changer!

PM me if you want more info (without coming across all 'preachy'!)

https://www.alcoholexperiment.com

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've been on and off drink for a few years, giving up for a few months at a time and then starting again. Although never a heavy drinker per se I find it difficult to stop at 3 or 4 if I start on a session. The last few years even a 2 or 3 pints has given me palpitations and banging headaches at night. I've had two spells of Hodgkins Lymphoma in the past and this and the treatment has affected my heart and liver (as well as other organs) and I now also have a fatty liver, so decided a month or so ago to try and knock it on the head for good.

So far, so good. I 100% agree that the best approach is just one day at a time. Setting yourself bigger goals than that can make it feel too daunting, which can give you the excuse to lapse.

Best of luck to anyone battling any form of addiction, at any level it's tough but it is achievable.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Although never a heavy drinker per se I find it difficult to stop at 3 or 4 if I start on a session. The last few years even a 2 or 3 pints has given me palpitations and banging headaches at night.

Same here, just in last couple of years too. Waking up at 3am, heart racing, anxious, knowing had to be up in a few hours - just horrible, genuinely something I never want to go back to. But now I know WHY I used to wake at 3am (it's an actual thing!)

All the best HJ, good luck

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Same here, just in last couple of years too. Waking up at 3am, heart racing, anxious, knowing had to be up in a few hours - just horrible, genuinely something I never want to go back to. But now I know WHY I used to wake at 3am (it's an actual thing!)

Thank you mate, best of luck to you too.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There's only one issue with your health giving efforts. Guiness has no iron in it..nor does stout.

Sorry.

Edit: 0.3mg iron per pint. This fraction of 1% would offer you no benefit whatsoever. Unless you wanted to drink 20 pints of it a day. Which, I reckon, would kill you faster than any amount of iron deficiency.

Just take an iron supplement. & switch to neat vodka. At least there's no calorific value to that.

I'm prescribed ferrous sulfate - a very strong iron-deficiency medication although the dreams I have on them are not pleasant. At least I can get erections again (important if I'm sexually active) so they're doing the trick and I have a bit more confidence.

After you've told me about the Guinness I don't think I'll bother. Alcohol has never done much for me. Anyway, enough about my health problems. I wish you all the best, Bevendean Hillbilly. It sounds like you've had a rocky path.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I must be lucky. I can never be addicted to drink. I can take it or leave it.

If there is one thing i hate in life, it has to be living with an alcoholic.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I'm prescribed ferrous sulfate - a very strong iron-deficiency medication although the dreams I have on them are not pleasant. At least I can get erections again (important if I'm sexually active) so they're doing the trick and I have a bit more confidence.

After you've told me about the Guinness I don't think I'll bother. Alcohol has never done much for me. Anyway, enough about my health problems. I wish you all the best, Bevendean Hillbilly. It sounds like you've had a rocky path.

Not half mate. At least I can freewheel on the path back down. Chin chin.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

It sure is. It's known by Casualty staff as "the fear" palpitations at 3am...quick, call an ambulance...

The amount of people I've treated on nights when they have alcohol withdrawal symptoms in the wee hours...Jesus, that stuff is poison.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I must be lucky. I can never be addicted to drink. I can take it or leave it.

If there is one thing i hate in life, it has to be living with an alcoholic.

There's many like you. Only about 15% of the population are truly in the group with a causal link, at genetic level, between dopamine and alcohol dependence. Unfortunately those people, of which I'm one, will have the same predisposition to opiates etc too.

My solution? Just stay off it. If I start I'm a pringle...once I pop I can't stop.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
As a reformed alcoholic I can sympathise with how some find this a real trouble, giving up I mean.

I was a total soaker, bottle of Vodka a day at least plus 5 or 6 pints after work, I really could not understand how people could leave half a pint in a glass and walk off, I didn't get how anyone could live without something to "help them relax" my problem was I would rarely feel drunk, I would just keep going when all else were falling.

I finally decided to pack it in when my new lady presented me with our second baby. I just was sick of knowing that if I had to take the bay to hospital or somewhere I would be drink driving, I couldn't stand the night feeds while reeking of booze...it was all just too shit,

I stopped. Dead. It was really tough, I was badly missing it for ages but, as time went on it got easier until I didn't miss it.

Now. I'm a classic addict, I have been hooked on drink, opiates and cigarettes in my life, and I've fought hard to conquer all 3. I'm not perfect and I really needed to get to a low point to inspire change but, seriously, if I can do it...literally ANYONE can.

Just tell yourself its just for today, and keep doing that every day.

Good luck. Anyone who wants can PM for advice if needed.

Mega, mega respect.

But may I ask: do you not feel miserable most of the time? If so, how do you deal with that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I don't think I could give up totally forever as I like a beer too much. I know those who have given up completely and have found it's like a new life
Not trying to label for the sake of it, just trying to get a better understanding - are these people you know of (who have given up completely) alcoholics, or just people who drink a bit more than they should? Although you don't want to give up, because you like the taste, do you think you should?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not trying to label for the sake of it, just trying to get a better understanding - are these people you know of (who have given up completely) alcoholics, or just people who drink a bit more than they should? Although you don't want to give up, because you like the taste, do you think you should?

I know of a couple of people who just don't like the taste of alcohol in any form..... I went through a bit of a list with them along the lines of " Surely a lager and lime on a hot day ?... how about a nice refreshing glass of cider ?..... what about a relaxing Gin and Tonic ? " both of them said they don't like anything with Alcohol in and that they have tried but didn't like anything. As for me, on paper I should give up as there are loads of surveys saying that alcohol is linked to so many cancers.

I'm certainly not an alcoholic although I could drink every day of the week quite happily. This week I have gone virtually the whole week without a drop as I have worked a 6 day week and did not want to feel shat in the mornings. Off for a few tonight but I won't get badly drunk to make up as it were, for 6 days abstention

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here