Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Not had any alcoholic drinks since 1982 (ish) never missed it had a belly full of people thinking I am anti-social because I don't join it and it can be a bit of a bugger putting up with the shenanigans when you're the only sober one around.

Good luck.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As the Dire Straits song goes, 'I'm saving it up for Friday night'.
Only drink out on Friday nights now, though do sink a few and another couple to see me through the wee hours on match day and that's it.
Used to pop in for the 'sundowner' on the way form work on week nights but stopped that now.
Hope it works out for you.
Saved me quite a bit of coin as well.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I have to do 3 month stretches alcohol free with work as my job is zero tolerance. I do enjoy a beer when I get home, but don't enjoy getting drunk, the hangover & especially do not enjoy the pressure of keeping up with people that I'm in a round with. I'm 57 now, & there is just no enjoyment in struggling to hurl a pint down my neck as it's time for another round.
It's been 13 years in this job now, so obviously half the year with zero tolerance, meaning no alcohol at all allowed in the blood, has affected my drinking habits. No doubt has also been beneficial for my health.

So, next time home, I plan to enjoy a pint at my own speed & pace.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Wish you all the best, it won't be easy so don't beat yourself up if you slip up now and again. I have breaks from drinking and always feel I have more energy and enthusiasm for life. Good Luck

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
let me forget about today until tomorrow, sure bob dylan said something like that

And he never touched a drop of anything!

Good luck with the wagon. I’ve given up for long stretches several times, though I currently drink a little but never to hangover stages anymore.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I havent had a drop for years..
Every Saturday I miss a nice cold beer.
The temptation never goes away
Trouble is that nice cold beer would turn into 14 and I’d end up putting myself in danger.
Not so clever now I’m a dad.
So no booze for me.
Good luck op, the choice you have made is easy. Seeing it through long term? More difficult.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I love ale, worship at the altars of Brewdog, Darkstar and many others, but have stopped drinking because, as absurd as it might sound, I get a headache after drinking about half a pint and sometimes even after a couple of mouthfuls. Having Googled it I found out it's more common than you'd think, and can be linked to hoppy beers.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Go for it and good luck. Post back on this thread in a month and then two months later and you may well have cracked it. A month's not so long. :albion2:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
No, it's not a drunken Saturday night thing.
But after 20 years of heavy drinking, enough is enough.
Tomorrow is day1 for me as an alcohol free person,and I''m quite excited about the new life ahead.
I know it might not be fun and games to start with, but......

As an ex pub landlord and someone who pretty much cannot remember my teens and twenties, I now drink once or twice a year at most and considering going completely tea total... good luck and enjoy a much better life. But I do have to warn you that all drunk people are tw@ts so lots of the friends you have now won't be friends in the future because they will still be tw@ts, you'll just be sober enough to see it!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Drink is the only thing that numbs the pain of football

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
No alcohol since January. Drinking for over 50 years. Major blood test last month. Damaged liver. I asked the doctor " is the damage alcohol related" .Doctors reply " no, cholesterol" Now on statins for life.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I keep thinking I should. I work a 5 week shift pattern and when I am on the week of nights I don't touch a drop and don't miss it. The rest of the time I drink pretty much every day. My problem is that I cannot just have one; I can have none and be ok or 4/5 and be ok but if I have one and stop, I feel I am missing out.
Good luck with it OP

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good luck fella

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports