Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
I signed up to OYNB, but I'm not sure it's for me. They keep talking up what a challenge it is, but I don't think that's the message they should be reinforcing.

Yep I know what you mean and I take some of it with a pinch, but for me it was whatever gives you a kick start and somewhere to tap into when you are finding it a bit tough, I find it useful for that and the fact that they are really into promoting exercise, nutrition etc that all adds to the feel good factor. I posted a vid when I started my break this time and some of the responses were really motivational.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had a alkoholfrei Einbecker yesterday and it was very good. I'm sure there were a lot of calories but extremely tasty for some reason.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Getting into the buying of rounds is an absolute mugs game. Everyone is shamed into drinking as fast as the alcoholic.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It's going ok, thanks for asking.
The abstinence thing lasted about 4 weeks, and has been a couple of slip ups since, but it's just a matter of getting back on it, (or off it, should I say), as my slip ups are a bit more than a few drinks one night unfortunately.......
I started a new job 4-5 weeks ago, which doesn't really fit well with getting drunk every night, so that's a good thing, and am still aiming for total abstinence.

Well done on you and the missus cutting down, it's scary when you look at how much money you spend isn't it!
Plus I find the sense of well being priceless.

Good luck:clap2::clap2:

That's interesting, I need to give it a try

Well done btw :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
This may sound nerdy, but it works for me... I use a spreadsheet.

Back when i was working and stressed, i regularly drank about 50 units per week, which wasn't sustainable long term. When i first retired, i needed to break the habit, but didn't want to give up altogether.

So, i record the units every day, and my spreadsheet tells me the average for the week, month, six months and year. It soon became my challenge to bring them below 20 units per week, and I'm now happily tootling along at 19.9, and not feeling guilty.

Not sure that we've saved much money, as we now drink better quality wine!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i recently had some blood tests done and my gp was not happy with me at all .....i have to go and see him again on saturday and expecting a right telling off......i try to have 2 or 3 days a week without a drink ....no i don't , who the **** am i kidding ..........gonna have july off and see how i go ,i know it's no good for me but i just love booze.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
i recently had some blood tests done and my gp was not happy with me at all .....i have to go and see him again on saturday and expecting a right telling off......i try to have 2 or 3 days a week without a drink ....no i don't , who the **** am i kidding ..........gonna have july off and see how i go ,i know it's no good for me but i just love booze.

Yeah, I drink wine after work because I like it. I don't drink to get p*ssed (anymore). I drink beer when I go to matches because I like it.

And I don't like fizzy soft drinks or tea

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This thread has definitely made me think about my alcohol consumption. I've never taken much notice of units, but imagined a bottle of wine to be about 7. Putting the recycling out the other morning I noticed one bottle was 9.8 units, bit shocked by that tbh.

I'm going to start by cutting down from tonight

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Only have a bottled Guinness once a week to boost my iron levels. They've got quite a selection in Sainsbury's. The old stout that was around in the sixties and seventies is the best IMO.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

Best of luck, sydney mate.

If the GP starts getting all high and mighty, start asking him/her if they drink. You don't need a lecture, you deserve care and compassion. Cutting down is a step in the right direction. Hope everything works out for you fella. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I drink beer when I go to matches because I like it

Being too lazy to deal with the whole urination at matches issue, combined with piss anxiety in public and a below average sized penis, (and one not for public consumption), I drink nothing for at least two hours before a game then rehydrate afterwards. While utterly neurotic, it does make for a more relaxing matchday experience.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Only have a bottled Guinness once a week to boost my iron levels. They've got quite a selection in Sainsbury's. The old stout that was around in the sixties and seventies is the best IMO.

There's only one issue with your health giving efforts. Guiness has no iron in it..nor does stout.

Sorry.

Edit: 0.3mg iron per pint. This fraction of 1% would offer you no benefit whatsoever. Unless you wanted to drink 20 pints of it a day. Which, I reckon, would kill you faster than any amount of iron deficiency.

Just take an iron supplement. & switch to neat vodka. At least there's no calorific value to that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here