Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Good luck, something I have considered and realise that I am pretty weak to giving it up. I did dry Jan and really enjoyed it then found myself slipping back into it. My problem is having one, I popped into pub on Friday night and ended up having seven with mates, felt sick Saturday morning and still had a headache in the evening. All my friends drink and everything I do socially is around booze, I know that’s a crap excuse but it does make it difficult to let it go.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Didn't drink for first 3 months this year and only once or twice was I tempted. It wasn't too difficult but I'm not a heavy drinker anyway. Brothers stag do at end of month so having to build up my tolerance again

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just lately I seemed to have read so many articles about the dangers of drinking.

So I have now decided to stop ........ reading.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, it's not a drunken Saturday night thing.
But after 20 years of heavy drinking, enough is enough.
Tomorrow is day1 for me as an alcohol free person,and I''m quite excited about the new life ahead.
I know it might not be fun and games to start with, but......

With respect, have noted time of your initial post. Half eleven on a Saturday night. So practically meaningless then.

Come back in a month, or even a week, and let us know how it's going.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good luck - I haven't drunk alcohol in 16 years or so, and can honestly say I don't regret that choice for a second.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I drank a lot yesterday between lunchtime and midnight, am feeling it now and won’t be drinking today. As long as you have a few days off in a week I find that works well.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just lately I seemed to have read so many articles about the dangers of drinking.

So I have now decided to stop ........ reading.

Genuinely good wishes to the op, but that statement actually me chuckle loudly more than normal.

Superb.....

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Tomorrow is day1 for me as an alcohol free person,and I''m quite excited about the new life ahead.

Are you actually alcoholic or just a heavy drinker ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Good luck. I had exactly the same attitude with cigarettes 16 years ago, it's kept me in good stead. On the other hand I do like a good ale or bottle of wine and my days of getting shitfaced are over, so I tend to enjoy a drink rather than drink to get drunk. All the best.

i packed up smoking 16 years ago i was a 40 a day man, probably wouldnt be here now if i hadnt

Jul 7, 2003
Good for you. I am not alcohol free but I dont drink anywhere near as much as i used to.
When I go out I drink slowly and enjoy the taste and the conversation etc.
I cannot stand the feeling of being pissed and the bed spinning, a bad hangover is bloody painful for me and reminds me that i wasted my money to feel so bad.
I really enjoy drinking in moderation.

I'm similar to you these days. I don't drink alcohol at home and when I do go out, I go for quality over quantity. I've never like bitter/ale and can't stand the 'cooking' lagers you get in pubs. I do enjoy the occasional sour beer these days. I've never been a great wine drinker so not really one for drinking with meals when out.

I used to drink a lot in my younger days but can't cope with the hangovers as I get older. I said to my wife this morning that I could probably give up alcohol completely without really missing it.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Good for you. Have been sober since 2003. Life is better and I know what I got up to the night before. A useful number if you need it 08457697555

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

How's it going ?
I decided to cut down since reading this and since it was posted I've had a drink about once a week and when I have drunk it's been less (went to the pub the other night and had 3 pints, in the past it would have been 5 or 6). The Mrs has done the same and I reckon we've saved about £400.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't had a drink since Feb 17th this year, my blood pressure has dropped from 188/104 on the 18th of Feb to 115/70 this morning, I'd be mad to start again.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
How's it going ?
I decided to cut down since reading this and since it was posted I've had a drink about once a week and when I have drunk it's been less (went to the pub the other night and had 3 pints, in the past it would have been 5 or 6). The Mrs has done the same and I reckon we've saved about £400.

It's going ok, thanks for asking.
The abstinence thing lasted about 4 weeks, and has been a couple of slip ups since, but it's just a matter of getting back on it, (or off it, should I say), as my slip ups are a bit more than a few drinks one night unfortunately.......
I started a new job 4-5 weeks ago, which doesn't really fit well with getting drunk every night, so that's a good thing, and am still aiming for total abstinence.

Well done on you and the missus cutting down, it's scary when you look at how much money you spend isn't it!
Plus I find the sense of well being priceless.

Good luck:clap2::clap2:

Stumpy Tim

It's going ok, thanks for asking.
The abstinence thing lasted about 4 weeks, and has been a couple of slip ups since, but it's just a matter of getting back on it, (or off it, should I say), as my slip ups are a bit more than a few drinks one night unfortunately.......
I started a new job 4-5 weeks ago, which doesn't really fit well with getting drunk every night, so that's a good thing, and am still aiming for total abstinence.

Well done on you and the missus cutting down, it's scary when you look at how much money you spend isn't it!
Plus I find the sense of well being priceless.

Good luck:clap2::clap2:

So I did Sober October and Dry January, but been back drinking since - though certainly less. Until Saturday night where I wrote off my Sunday... so I'm now doing another month off. Coincidentally that's a day trip to Ascot I have.

The truth is, I don't think it's realistic in my life to be completely dry though sometimes I would like to. However it's probably achievable to drink only on special occasions, like Ascot and stag do's. Would love to abstain in the future though

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
So I did Sober October and Dry January, but been back drinking since - though certainly less. Until Saturday night where I wrote off my Sunday... so I'm now doing another month off. Coincidentally that's a day trip to Ascot I have.

The truth is, I don't think it's realistic in my life to be completely dry though sometimes I would like to. However it's probably achievable to drink only on special occasions, like Ascot and stag do's. Would love to abstain in the future though

I'm pretty similar, dry Feb and now 2 weeks into a another month or more off. This is after being pretty regular and drinking a couple of beers and glass or wine or two after work for years. I reckon I might go completely AF some day, but just going with what feels right for the moment. Certainly don't want to go back to the regular few when I get in from work. For anyone that's interested in taking a break short or long I found this lot really helpful and there is a facebook group page. More and more of this stuff around as people wise up to the gloryfying of booze and work out you feel pretty good without it. https://www.oneyearnobeer.com https://www.facebook.com/groups/199505820380513/

Stumpy Tim

I'm pretty similar, dry Feb and now 2 weeks into a another month or more off. This is after being pretty regular and drinking a couple of beers and glass or wine or two after work for years. I reckon I might go completely AF some day, but just going with what feels right for the moment. Certainly don't want to go back to the regular few when I get in from work. For anyone that's interested in taking a break short or long I found this lot really helpful and there is a facebook group page. More and more of this stuff around as people wise up to the gloryfying of booze and work out you feel pretty good without it. https://www.oneyearnobeer.com https://www.facebook.com/groups/199505820380513/

I signed up to OYNB, but I'm not sure it's for me. They keep talking up what a challenge it is, but I don't think that's the message they should be reinforcing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here