Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
No, it's not a drunken Saturday night thing.
But after 20 years of heavy drinking, enough is enough.
Tomorrow is day1 for me as an alcohol free person,and I''m quite excited about the new life ahead.
I know it might not be fun and games to start with, but......

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Good Luck, and well done to you! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Good for you. I am not alcohol free but I dont drink anywhere near as much as i used to.
When I go out I drink slowly and enjoy the taste and the conversation etc.
I cannot stand the feeling of being pissed and the bed spinning, a bad hangover is bloody painful for me and reminds me that i wasted my money to feel so bad.
I really enjoy drinking in moderation.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Tomorrow is day1 for me as an alcohol free person,and I''m quite excited about the new life ahead.

I did almost exactly the same thing (20ish years, heavy drinking) round about this time last year and it was the best thing I ever did. After a brief period of adjustment, I probably do more socially now than when I was a drinker.

More than happy to discuss further in PM if you want. Best of luck

Last edited:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
I became teetotal on January 1st 2008 and have never regretted it. Good luck to the OP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good luck, will this be permanent or just a clean break for a while ? At times in my life I have drunk heavily and at other times almost given up for quite a time but now have a good balance where \I can take or leave it. The trouble is a nice beer is a good thing and can be enjoyed from time to time with no real bad effects.

So, apart from last night in Brooksteed when I got ratted, I normally have a couple of beers fri/sat but don't touch a drop til Wednesday and go to a pub quiz. I enjoy beer but make sure I'm in control rather than the beer.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Good luck. I had exactly the same attitude with cigarettes 16 years ago, it's kept me in good stead. On the other hand I do like a good ale or bottle of wine and my days of getting shitfaced are over, so I tend to enjoy a drink rather than drink to get drunk. All the best.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Good luck, will this be permanent or just a clean break for a while ? At times in my life I have drunk heavily and at other times almost given up for quite a time but now have a good balance where \I can take or leave it. The trouble is a nice beer is a good thing and can be enjoyed from time to time with no real bad effects.

So, apart from last night in Brooksteed when I got ratted, I normally have a couple of beers fri/sat but don't touch a drop til Wednesday and go to a pub quiz. I enjoy beer but make sure I'm in control rather than the beer.

permanent I reckon veg, must know you from the brookstead i reckon, just down the road from me?
Thanks to everyone fo r their nice words, and bozza for the offer a coffee, and one other bloke especially

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Gave up just over 5 years ago & never looked back. Just be prepared to be questioned about it every single time you go out! Why have you stopped drinking? Surely you can just have one? When are you going to start again? Did you have a problem before? Every single time you go out!!

Find yourself a non alcoholic drink you enjoy & that’ll be half the battle won (the non alcoholic beers are rank in this country!)

Best of luck with it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
permanent I reckon veg, must know you from the brookstead i reckon, just down the road from me?
Thanks to everyone fo r their nice words, and bozza for the offer a coffee, and one other bloke especially

I'll be honest and say we probably don't know each other as I don't usually drink IN Brooksteed, I come down with a plastic bottle and have a couple of pints to take away mostly. that's one of my ways of keeping in control, a couple of pints of good beer to take away home. There is lots of support out in the world and on here and I wish you well. Personally I don't think I could give up totally forever as I like a beer too much. I know those who have given up completely and have found it's like a new life, it can be done and with help you can do it. :thumbsup:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I'll be honest and say we probably don't know each other as I don't usually drink IN Brooksteed, I come down with a plastic bottle and have a couple of pints to take away mostly. that's one of my ways of keeping in control, a couple of pints of good beer to take away home. There is lots of support out in the world and on here and I wish you well. Personally I don't think I could give up totally forever as I like a beer too much. I know those who have given up completely and have found it's like a new life, it can be done and with help you can do it. :thumbsup:

cheers mate, i've been told many a time before it's not the taste i enjoy, but the medicating effect of alcohol I disagree massively, I have always considered , myself a fine taster of fine shiraz, and not too bad with a craft beer, but hey ho, I guess everyone has their time

Nibor

Jan 6, 2010
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Good luck OP, in my experience everyone who has come out the side never regrets it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Good luck OP, in my experience everyone who has come out the side never regrets it.

Welcome Long Time Lurker. That's a long time since you joined! Nice first post, will we have to wait until 2026 for the next one?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here