Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poor support when we needed it most

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Didn't think it was good but when it was loud it was loud. The potential is there it just didn't catch fire today. I think Huddersfield performance and effort on and off the pitch was first class if I may say so.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
As has happened in almost all the big games at the Amex, nerves got the better of the crowd and transmitted to the team.

Really??... the crowds nerves got to the players?

Quite the other way around I thought..

Several times the north would try and get some volume going and then the players would lose the ball in a dangerous position and the nerves would transfer to the crowd and snuff out the song.

We don't play well against Huddersfield. they stop us playing and we are unable to adapt to it.
That's not the fans fault.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We lost 90% of 50:50's, second balls, they seem to be playing with 13 as always another Hudd player to win a skirmish over the ball. Albion get giving the ball away too.

The crowd in the NS where I sat were frustrated seeing all that unravel in both halves.

Yeah, Warren was getting pretty animated.......loads of misplaced passes and bad decisions

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really??... the crowds nerves got to the players?

Quite the other way around I thought..

Several times the north would try and get some volume going and then the players would lose the ball in a dangerous position and the nerves would transfer to the crowd and snuff out the song.

We don't play well against Huddersfield. they stop us playing and we are unable to adapt to it.
That's not the fans fault.

Great post. It works that way round.

A 12th man only works if a team has relative quality, is very much up for it on the day and has goals in the team.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The PA was turned up to 11 today. East Upper it was deafening. We made some noise but sadly let down on the pitch.
Saw Bruno pitchside second half trying to get the crowd up for it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Didn't think it was good but when it was loud it was loud. The potential is there it just didn't catch fire today. I think Huddersfield performance and effort on and off the pitch was first class if I may say so.

I like the catch fire analogy because that's just as I saw it , get a little bit going then a big puff of poor play snuffed it out, then it would start and then the big puff of poor play snuffed it out again. People on other threads are saying 'Come on Brighton' does not support the players enough, to me that's nonsense. A simple song, everyone knows the words and when it really took hold it was loud, shame about the play though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The players were under par from the off - given the significance of the game this impacted on the crowd's involvement and a general sense of nervousness resulted

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Saw Bruno pitchside second half trying to get the crowd up for it.
From his body language it was obvious Bruno thought it vitally important that the crowd got behind the players at that moment...

What they actually got was a quick "Albion, Albion" and then quietness punctuated by moaning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
When has the main stand ever been the singing section?
Do you ever remember the West Stand at The Goldstone singing?

The west stand at the Amex is not the same as the Goldstone the Goldstone west stand was the expensive seated stand as opposed to the North and East terraces. There were some terrraced parts of the west but tended to be family. If any comparison could be made it would be to the family section of the East but even that is louder than the Goldstone west.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When has the main stand ever been the singing section?
Do you ever remember the West Stand at The Goldstone singing?

Haha, I sat there as a kid for several years and found it very frustrating. Perhaps a song of 'Come on you blues', 'Sully, Sully' or if the ref was a shocker 'Oh oh what a rotten ref' if you were lucky.

I was just getting the first kick in as a pre-emptive strike before the usual suspects moan about not hearing the East. Both the West and East at the Amex are LOADS louder than their counterparts at the much missed Goldstone.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don't believe the crowd has as much impact as others think.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
I've never played professional football so I couldn't give you a definitive answer but the players often comment on how much a noisy crowd lifts them so I think it does have an effect.

Perhaps nerves got the better of all of us today and it could be that the other team did pretty well too.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
That was our worst home performance this season that was littered by mistakes and poor finishing by our players. I can’t remember feeling so frustrated at a home game (seen a few away though !) and that overwhelming frustration detracted from me wanting to join in the singing. The team needs to perform to gee up the crowd and we were well off the pace today.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The west stand at the Amex is not the same as the Goldstone the Goldstone west stand was the expensive seated stand as opposed to the North and East terraces. There were some terrraced parts of the west but tended to be family. If any comparison could be made it would be to the family section of the East but even that is louder than the Goldstone west.

And? ??? You have just told me stuff I already know about The Goldstone, apart from the terraced part being family.
I've read that 4 times and I'm sort of missing your point.

Let me put this another way, I've been to many football grounds in my lifetime, I can't say Ive noticed many main stands that sing that much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here