Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently there is a new law which came into affect in January which states that you can only take your hands off of the steering wheel to change gear, no other reason whatsoever.

My sons firm phoned him and he rejected the call as he was driving but he was observed by a roadside patrol who said they saw him reject the call but it is still illegal to take a hand away from the wheel. So he got a ticket.

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect soon, but he was not certain when, stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

I agree that they should not be used but I think the officer was pushing the limit especially as her saw him reject the call and also all firms should be compelled to have hands free fitted with steering wheel control if they are going to call their workers.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
His attention would have still been distracted as he would have had to look down/across at his phone to reject the call, therefore not being fully focused on his driving. Bang to rights for me.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
Apparently there is a new law which came into affect in January which states that you can only take your hands off of the steering wheel to change gear, no other reason whatsoever.

My sons firm phoned him and he rejected the call as he was driving but he was observed by a roadside patrol who said they saw him reject the call but it is still illegal to take a hand away from the wheel. So he got a ticket.

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect so but he was not certain when stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

I agree that they should not be used but I think the officer was pushing the limit especially as her saw him reject the call and also all firms should be compelled to have hands free fitted with steering wheel control if they are going to call their workers.

Did he physically pick up the phone to reject the call ?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

He phoned his mate who is in rapid response for the Met and just been promoted to sergeant who told him the officer was correct and also a new law comes into affect soon, but he was not certain when, stating that the phone must not be on show but in a glove box.

Just ignore it and let it ring out

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Tell him to plead not guilty then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So I cannot touch my stereo if it doesn’t have steering wheel controls? Also in slow moving traffic I drive one handed with the other hand on the gear stick to change up or down depending on how fast the traffic is moving. Struggle to see how I am going to get fined for that because otherwise I will be taking my hand on and off the steering wheel every few seconds or driving in the wrong gear most of the time.

Can I have a link to this “new” law because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me and I don’t believe it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why would the firm need to be compelled ? They wouldn’t know he was driving at that exact time. Simply don’t pick it up or answer it. Police can’t distinguish between some taking or rejecting a call, sending a text or playing candy crush if someone has a phone in their hands.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
so whilst driving turning on your radio, scratching your nose, putting down your sun visor, opening a window etc - all illegal now if you apply that logic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So I cannot touch my stereo if it doesn’t have steering wheel controls? Also in slow moving traffic I drive one handed with the other hand on the gear stick to change up or down depending on how fast the traffic is moving.

Can I have a link to this “new” law because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me and I don’t believe it.

I dont know only what his Police Sergeant ex school friend./best man told him.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
so whilst driving turning on your radio, scratching your nose, putting down your sun visor, opening a window etc - all illegal now if you apply that logic.

Indeed. Even swatting away an irritating fly!

Having your phone not on show is mad. Mine doubles up as a Sat Nav.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Bang to rights I'm afraid. Don't touch your phone while driving.
Everything else I expect is delusional interpretation from BG and possibly his son.

Oh and heads up to everyone on two counts:
1. Your insurance premium will rise a similar amount to returning from a drink driving conviction.
2. Ben's grandad will start a thread about that when it comes to pass.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I'm with the law on this one BG.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would the firm need to be compelled ? They wouldn’t know he was driving at that exact time. Simply don’t pick it up or answer it. Police can’t distinguish between some taking or rejecting a call, sending a text or playing candy crush if someone has a phone in their hands.

They have trackers in their vans so know exactly where it is and what speed it is travelling at . Failing that they should send a text please ring when not driving to the company issued phone. He fully accepts that within the terms of the law as explained to him he is bang to rights and should have just let it ring but that doesnt absolve the company from making the calls and placing his licence in jeopardy.

This is not bitching just a warning to others who may be caught in a similar situation. Just let the phone ring.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here