Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City v Liverpool

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just out of interest why is the Klu Klux Klan assembled behind the goal Juve are attacking ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Soft pen but wow Ronaldo put it away well and Juve keeper red carded

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably just as well. Liverpool V Juventus final ?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That penalty looked clear to me. Not sure why there's a debate. Any where else on the field, that's a foul. He shoves the Real Madrid player as he's about to score.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Like to see Bayern win it, Munich is a nice city

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That penalty looked clear to me. Not sure why there's a debate. Any where else on the field, that's a foul. He shoves the Real Madrid player as he's about to score.
I didn't think he did that at all. In fact, I thought the pen was given for kicking the forward in the chest! Really it was a senseless challenge by the defender when you consider how the ball arrived at the forward - he was hardly going to chest it in from 8 yards, and by the time the ball fell to a strikeable height, there would have been time for the defender to get goal side and get a block in.

I'm not impressed with Buffon's post match whining, but will say that it really is high time top level officials were asked to explain their decisions post match. I suspect players and fans would have a lot more respect for referees if they simply held a post match press conference and answered questions on why decisions were made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not impressed with Buffon's post match whining, but will say that it really is high time top level officials were asked to explain their decisions post match. I suspect players and fans would have a lot more respect for referees if they simply held a post match press conference and answered questions on why decisions were made.

I've heard this idea mentioned a lot, and I've always disagreed with it. It'd just turn into a witch-hunt, a grilling. One side is ALWAYS going to feel cheated, or furious at a decision, so having a ref grilled live on air after the match would just add fuel to the fire when he attempts to justify whatever decision(s) someone feels aggrieved at. Rightly or wrongly, he'll have made an honest decision in the heat of the game, having had 1 look at it (unless we've got that VARS farce involved). Sometimes he'll make mistakes, but thats part of the game. You don't see Wellbeck hauled before the cameras to explain himself when he's blasted the ball over the bar from 3 yards.

Referees have assessors, they have post-match debriefs, they pour over the key decisions with those assessors, they're marked down for cock-ups, so there ARE consequences if they are consistently poor. Its just done behind the scenes.

Its hard enough getting enough top-level officials these days. Showing them an incident and making them mumble an explanation whilst shuffling awkwardly in front of the world won't change anything, and won't do anyone any favours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone but liverpool is great in my book (premier league benefits for us or not)

I think it might be my age but of all the big clubs in the Prem I’ve always liked Liverpool. I remember the late 70s when they bossed Europe, their fans have generally always been nice to me from when I was a little boy right up to recent visits to the city, the locals seem a decent bunch as well and the most friendly of all the big northern cities. I appreciate Heysel was a dark episode but all things considered I like them and the citys

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've heard this idea mentioned a lot, and I've always disagreed with it. It'd just turn into a witch-hunt, a grilling. One side is ALWAYS going to feel cheated, or furious at a decision, so having a ref grilled live on air after the match would just add fuel to the fire when he attempts to justify whatever decision(s) someone feels aggrieved at. Rightly or wrongly, he'll have made an honest decision in the heat of the game, having had 1 look at it (unless we've got that VARS farce involved). Sometimes he'll make mistakes, but thats part of the game. You don't see Wellbeck hauled before the cameras to explain himself when he's blasted the ball over the bar from 3 yards.

Referees have assessors, they have post-match debriefs, they pour over the key decisions with those assessors, they're marked down for cock-ups, so there ARE consequences if they are consistently poor. Its just done behind the scenes.

Its hard enough getting enough top-level officials these days. Showing them an incident and making them mumble an explanation whilst shuffling awkwardly in front of the world won't change anything, and won't do anyone any favours.

I won't disagree with some of your analysis and could be proven right, but I don't see why making refs accountable shouldn't be trialled. You do generally seem to be dead against new ideas without giving them a chance - you're exactly the same with VAR, in my opinion.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I didn't think he did that at all. In fact, I thought the pen was given for kicking the forward in the chest! Really it was a senseless challenge by the defender when you consider how the ball arrived at the forward - he was hardly going to chest it in from 8 yards, and by the time the ball fell to a strikeable height, there would have been time for the defender to get goal side and get a block in.

The shove begins with two hands on the back (that's when the player starts to go down), and it continues with his body and ends with a leg movement around the body and contact with the body in a desperate attempt to get the ball (kick to the chest sounds harsh). Looking at Oliver's position, he wouldn't have been able to see the 'kick', as he was behind the players, so unless someone else gave it (didn't look like it), it looks like was for the shove with the hands and rest of the body that the penalty was given for, as the player tried to get the ball from behind (even if he got the ball would still have been a pen).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I won't disagree with some of your analysis and could be proven right, but I don't see why making refs accountable shouldn't be trialled. You do generally seem to be dead against new ideas without giving them a chance - you're exactly the same with VAR, in my opinion.

Refs are already accountable - just not to the baying mob, who want to see him squirm over a perceived duff decision thats cost them.

I do find myself naturally resistant to change, I admit that, because I honestly don't think there's a lot wrong with the game, so why tinker ? Goalline technology is brilliant, I've never had an issue with that because its instant, its straightforward, and it works perfectly. VARS goes beyond tinkering though IMO, its fundamentally going to alter how we are able to watch the game. As is often the case, it all sounds fine in theory, but the full ramifications of using VAR have not been totally thought through. As it stands, its just not ready. And you're going to have teams of officials at the World Cup who are using it for the very first time, which I find mindblowing.

It will right some wrongs, for sure. But at what cost ? As we've already seen, it'll also bring with it a whole host of issues, controversies, holdups and confusion. There'll be borderline incidents referred when they shouldn't be, and not referred when they should be, that'll bring about all their own controversies. Those incidents will be picked to pieces by fans and pundits alike just as much as the odd dodgy decision is without VARS.

The difference being, with the "benefit" of VARS involved, people will be fully EXPECTING the review decision to be spot-on. And when it doesn't go their way, despite the ref seeing the replays....oh dear.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Buffon, to the Italian media:

"It was a tenth of a penalty.

"I know the referee saw what he saw, but it was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear-cut. And a dubious incident at the 93rd minute when we had a clear penalty denied in the first leg, you cannot award that at this point.

"The team gave its all, but a human being cannot destroy dreams like that at the end of an extraordinary comeback on a dubious situation.

"Clearly you cannot have a heart in your chest, but a bag of rubbish. On top of that, if you don't have the character to walk on a pitch like this in a stadium like this, you can sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, having your drink and eating crisps.

"You cannot ruin the dreams of a team. I could've told the referee anything at that moment, but he had to understand the degree of the disaster he was creating.

"If you can't handle the pressure and have the courage to make a decision, then you should just sit in the stands and eat your crisps."

Pathetic remarks. His reaction on the pitch was an utter disgrace, and he's just spouted an absolute load of old bollocks here. I had a lot of time and respect for Buffon, but he's gone well down in my estimation after that. Which I know will devastate him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here