Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Have you?

( nice edit )

Not that I'm aware but that's not my point.

Your post wasn't that well phrased. Firstly, you can't deny the rights of somebody entering a property they don't own since that would allow somebody to shoot somebody renting.

:lolol:

But your probable point is really really odd and a bit snowflake to be honest.

Do you really believe you live in a country where the authorities favour the rights of a burglar over a home owner ?

The reason this is in the press it's because it happens very very rarely and the Police have to treat a death such as this as crime scene, just as they do a road accident.

You are getting a bit wound up about a world that doesn't actually exist.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really? Sounds imminently sensible to me. You step outside the law and everyone should be able to defend themselves. You should not be protected by law when you are breaking the law per see.

The law already allows you to defend yourself. CA seems to suggest that once they are on your property uninvited you can do what you like to them, ie beyond reasonable!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Holding a screwdriver isn't much of a weapon, so not really armed. If the pensioner kept a knife specifically to use against intruders, it can be construed as premeditated.
There are very few details in this case, so it's hard to discuss the rights and wrongs of it.
If you hold up a bank with a screwdriver it will be armed robbery. A weapon is a weapon.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
25 years ago a brother in law of an ex of mine, caught a burglar in his Shoreham flat, held him and called the Police. Whilst waiting, he connected with a further few punches on the intruder. The burglar never made a fuss. These days human rights legislation might give a different outcome.
Human rights law has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. Lazy lazy comment. There's a world of difference between giving someone a few digs and someone ending up dead!

As most have speculated, whenever anyone dies, due process has to be followed and an investigation into the burglars cause of death has to be done. The arrest is simply to assist the investigation, securing evidence etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you hold up a bank with a screwdriver it will be armed robbery. A weapon is a weapon.

It isn't much of a weapon, was the phrase I used. If you had to choose a weapon, between a screwdriver & a knife, which would you choose?
Yes, a screwdriver will cause wounds, & damage, but a knife is far more likely to cause death.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this point has been raised a number of times, but it's simple.

If this guy hadn't decided to burgle the home, he would still be alive today, and the home owner won't have been arrested.

I thought Cameron relaxed the laws on defending your own home before his exit.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Kind of. Folk who use force to deal with burglars rarely get in ultimate trouble. But I'm not sure that a blank canvass should be offered to the homeowner.

I do , Infact I think you should be able to chase them down the street and bludgeon them to death.

There’s already too many people in the world , scum like this won’t be missed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
78 and he's still in custody ffs.

This does seem bizarre. They should have questioned him at home after a cup of tea and left him at home he doesn't appear to be a risk to the wider community. Unless the police think he's at some risk from the thief reappearing? As an aside I like his picture holding two pints of Guinness, gone even further up in my admiration!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Poor old bloke - they hardly need to keep him in custody, do they - he's not a threat to anybody else. I wonder if they've put as much resources into catching the other scumbag burglar?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This.

The legal process must be followed and at this stage it catches the headlines.

No jury will ever convict this old man of murder.

Exactly. We can't have a system where the OB trot in and make a judgement call there and then that the guy has acted in reasonable self-defence. It has to be right that he is further questioned, and if there is some doubt due to perhaps the ferocity of his wielding of the knife, then maybe they leave it for a jury to decide.

Personally, I think you break into someones property wielding a weapon AT YOUR OWN RISK and would never be of a mind to convict anyone for what they do in return.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
What with this and the non disclosure of evidence by the police and CPS, the whole thing stinks of incompetence and jobsworths sticking to rules, when it suits. Common sense and natural justice seems to be casualties here. Hopefully the Home Secretary will intervene as it making the justice system that's already discredited in the eyes of the public sink even lower.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Which is almost certainly why he was arrested; he would, before any interview, be entitled to consult a solicitor who would ensure he would not incriminate himself.

A man has died and the police have to conduct a full, proper and unbiased investigation, no matter what their first thought may be.

Given the facts so far, I'll not shed a tear for the burglar and I'm willing to bet the old lad isn't charged.

This.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are getting a bit wound up about a world that doesn't actually exist.

Which is one of the reasons why the eejit is on my blocked list. No idea what he's burbling on about, but it wont make much sense, that's for sure. :lolol:

Someone else on this thread I can read is advocating a law change that would allow any intruder to be kept as a slave and tortured to death over a matter of years. He may or may not argue that isn't what hea meant, n which case he is advocating the status quo where the laws are taken into consideration when an intruder comes a cropper.

I think the sensible among us can recognise that there would need to be some real evidence of premeditation and excess force for this case to make it to court, but we are concerned that the 'computer says no' mentaility may grab and run with a prosecution to the detriment and needless distress of the old chap.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
The judicial system needs to get a move on and recognise that, when someone makes the choice to enter a property which is not theirs, they lose all common and criminal law rights assigned to them had they not made that choice and that any subsequent action undertaken against them is outside of common or criminal law. Simples!

Surely you can see there might be shades of grey here?

A burglar enters a house, is caught by the homeowner who screams, faints, and the burglar trips up as he's running away and falls on his own knife and dies.

A burglar enters a house, is caught by the homeowner who ties him to a chair, leaves him for 8 hours, then slides a knife into the burglar's heart and kills him, the homeowner unties him and throws the body to the floor.

Both look around about the same when the police arrive, but fair enough for the police to take a day or two to figure out what went on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here