Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This is not a kid scrumping apples. It's a burglar. If I went into someone's house and nicked their possessions and they caught me and punched me I wouldn't feel unfairly treated.

You would if you were a pikey.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This is not a kid scrumping apples. It's a burglar. If I went into someone's house and nicked their possessions and they caught me and punched me I wouldn't feel unfairly treated.

It's not, and in fairness I probably agree that being punched is the least one could expect. The point I'm trying to make is in light of the hysteria over the Hither Green incident, it's still correct that the police got through the process of investigating an incident like this regardless of the emotive public response.

The point about scrumping is that there is a spectrum of crimes that people may commit and there is a spectrum of responses, the 'he was on their property so got what was coming' brigade seem to have a much more binary opinion on this.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's not, and in fairness I probably agree that being punched is the least one could expect. The point I'm trying to make is in light of the hysteria over the Hither Green incident, it's still correct that the police got through the process of investigating an incident like this regardless of the emotive public response.

The point about scrumping is that there is a spectrum of crimes that people may commit and there is a spectrum of responses, the 'he was on their property so got what was coming' brigade seem to have a much more binary opinion on this.

The Police did conduct a thorough investigation and found no offence.

I suppose it might have been a very complicated murder where a couple of travellers are invited over to this old blokes house in the middle of the night where the old guy is lying in wait , in his underpants, to tackle one for his screwdriver and then stab him in the heart.

If so, it’s the perfect crime

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Which, on balance, seems fair.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh for a bit of common sense! Just get on and investigate something more important, like somebody parked on a double yellow line. Exactly who benefits from a possible prosecution in this case? - No-one.

Common sense says the police have to investigate each incident in its own merit. Does anyone benefit from prosecutions?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If we set aside the fact that he was a criminal killed in executing another crime ,the death of a man should not be celebrated and the family are entitled to mourn. However, what's annoying everyone is the deliberately provocative nature of the mourning and the pathetic attempt to portray him as some kind of hero.

Yes they would be entitled to mourn just as the residents should be able to play extra loudly a mash up of ding dong the witch is dead and Hallelujah combined!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/live-hither-green-funeral-burglar-12472692

Updates: 'Threatening' mob of mourners charge towards journalists outside funeral of Hither Green burglar in "terrifying scenes"

Not a massive surprise.

I get why the press have turned up, but whatever everybody thinks of the bloke, it is nonetheless a funeral, and I imagine many people would find it intrusive to have dozens of journalists looking on and snapping away.

(Not nearly as intrusive as breaking into somebody's house of course. But still. It was always going to inflame the situation).

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not a massive surprise.

I get why the press have turned up, but whatever everybody thinks of the bloke, it is nonetheless a funeral, and I imagine many people would find it intrusive to have dozens of journalists looking on and snapping away.

(Not nearly as intrusive as breaking into somebody's house of course. But still. It was always going to inflame the situation).
The family have got the attention they were after, the press have got the story they were after. Everybody happy.

I'm not thrilled at the cost of having the helicopter flying around all day, nor that the police seem to be encouraging journalists not to report on something. That is a dangerous path.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Floral Vodka and Lemonade bottles.

Class.

FLYNET-The-Funeral-Procession-For-Henry-Vincent.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Funeral indirectly paid for by 90 year old residents of Kent/SE London?

I went to Portsmouth on the train this morning, so picked up a Metro. Vincent's father was working on a farm in Kent ( well more of an estate) owned by an elderly man. There seems to be a lot of doubt about the situation as the rich old farmer has recently changed his will.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I went to Portsmouth on the train this morning, so picked up a Metro. Vincent's father was working on a farm in Kent ( well more of an estate) owned by an elderly man. There seems to be a lot of doubt about the situation as the rich old farmer has recently changed his will.

Kent police have investigated and all well. Owner decided to sell estate to them for 1/5 of value in good faith

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here