Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
11 pages in and after the usual self-righteous complaints and indignation about the law and the police the "suspect " has been released without charge. The police and the legal system have done pretty much what they were supposed to do after investigating the evidence. But at least it's filled the Daily Mail letters page on a quiet news day.Now, lets get back to Brexit.

Why bother,you have everybody on ignore who posts sense.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Only you could bring muslims and mosques into this.

A death occurred. Questions needed to be asked under caution for the benefit of the coroners court. The burglar's family shouldn't be left with any loophole to take out a private prosecution (and I wouldn't put it past them) and forensics needed to be done.
For all this to be done and dusted within 48 hours is very good.
Hopefully Mr Osborn Brook can now live a peaceful life with his wife, and be left alone.

From a woman who claims the bloke "wasnt really armed" because he only had a screwxriver , ill take a raincheck on lessons from you if its all the same.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
From a woman who claims the bloke "wasnt really armed" because he only had a screwxriver , ill take a raincheck on lessons from you if its all the same.

I didn't post the words wasn't really armed, and no intention of giving you lessons. You already know it all.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Of course he did , but in a world where need to "sensitively" police muslims , ie police search dogs wearing boots to avoid causing offence , then did they need to hold him for so long ?

No need to bring Muslims into this as it isn’t relevant and makes your arguments look purile.

My understanding is that it is standard procedure to caution someone in this position. It is for the accused protection as much as anything else. It means he would have a lawyer present who would ensure that he receive suitable advice whilst being questioned. I suspect that this would have been explained to him so he understood the why and the reasoning behind the caution.

My view is that if you enter someone’s home uninvited then you are asking for trouble. The fact that the deceased had form of targeting the elderly then it is to a certain extent poetic justice.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Poor Mr & Mrs Osborn Brooks are unable to return home and are under police protection. Fearing for theirs lives, will they have to move from their home now?

Meanwhile their home is being adorned by floral tributes to a career criminal.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fake news. All removed

You said is, you obviously meant was.

Splitting hairs in reality. Unfortunately scum have put flowers up that thankfully have been ripped down.And it would appear the killed thief was part of the 'travelling community' .... how long until the authorities actually have to guts to deal with these scum ?

ADDITION - I listened to an interview a couple of days ago from the thief's cousin. Asked by the interviewer if she thought is was reasonable that the house owner had reacted like he had it was along the lines of ( paraphrased ) " Well ..... er .... you know .... he was someone's son ..... had family .... it's wrong that he was killed .... surely the owner should have done somefing else ... it's not fair that he was killed"

As I say, scum.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pensioner-burglar-killed-death-threats-12334786

Homeowner, 78, 'sent death threats' as traveller warns 'the community will want revenge' after burglar stabbed to death inside house

Richard Osborn-Brooks, 78, is under 24-hour police guard with his disabled wife amid claims Vincent’s friends and relatives “won’t rest until they get their revenge”

One member of the travelling community told The Sun: "They won’t get over the death of one of their own and they won’t rest until they get their revenge.

"And when I say revenge, they will go armed with whatever they’ve got — guns, knives. There’s nothing they won’t do to get their own back on this pensioner."

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Poor Mr & Mrs Osborn Brooks are unable to return home and are under police protection. Fearing for theirs lives, will they have to move from their home now?

Meanwhile their home is being adorned by floral tributes to a career criminal.

The police are guarding their house. The 'shrine' is being created around another house in the same road, where a 78 year old man lives, and he feels very intimidated by it.
That's in the link I posted above.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To those saying the police have to investigate - of course - but why do you have to arrest the victim to do so (and yes, I consider him the victim here - he's the one who went to bed doing nothing wrong and now has years of trauma ahead of him)? Take him down the station, ask him questions to help with inquiries, but why arrest him, keep him in overnight and then only release him on bail (meaning he still has the stress of more questioning and a possible charge as well the horrific memory of some **** breaking in to his house and threatening him with a screwdriver). If the investigation finds that he actually lured some poor suspecting innocent - who happened to be carrying a screwdriver in case of any urgent maintenance - in to his house at 2am to knife him to death, then arrest him at that point.
Good point.

I suspect it is merely a formality so that anything he says is evidence and can be used in a court of law.
I don't think so, they can question people and use what they say as evidence without having to arrest them first.
Probably as much to protect his rights.
I doubt that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't think so, they can question people and use what they say as evidence without having to arrest them first.

Does that entitle them to legal advice? Genuine question

Isn't formally arresting him (because, you know, he killed a guy), getting a lawyer in, and allowing him (remember, this is a 78 year old man) the chance to correctly get across his story in a clear manner, alongside legal advice, a much more beneficial route?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Love to have been a fly on the wall when the burglars family were told, sitting in their front room maybe. Going incandescent purple.

Honestly? You think the immediate reaction of a family, having the news broken to them that their son / husband / father has died, would be anger, rather than grief?

However much of a scumbag the deceased would appear to have been, surely that doesn't cancel any empathy we should feel for others grieving? Even his very young children?

Yet you'd 'love' to have been there to witness their grief? To revel in it?

You sound nice.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bet those flowers were nicked

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does that entitle them to legal advice? Genuine question
Well you're always entitled to it, but the police don't have to tell you that. I believe they'll try and get you talking before you get legal advice, as they can use what you say to build a case. They will lie to you and tell you it appears better if you're innocent if you talk now, rather than look like you have something to hide. All nonsense, designed to make you talk. Nothing you say to them is likely to help you.

Isn't formally arresting him (because, you know, he killed a guy), getting a lawyer in, and allowing him (remember, this is a 78 year old man) the chance to correctly get across his story in a clear manner, alongside legal advice, a much more beneficial route?
Beneficial for whom? I'm sure they had their reasons for the arrest. I can't see how it helps the old man though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here