Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What has happened to Rohan Ince?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He won 2013/14 Young Player of the Year Award and was linked to Liverpool amongst other clubs. Stop trying to re-write history.

So why didn't Liverpool buy him..........

Also. The young player of the year for 2013/14 was a truly wonderful competition. The heavyweight contenders of Chicksen, Maksimenko, Forster-Caskey and Lewis Dunk (11 appearances) were brushed away as Rohan displayed his full arsenal of skills.

I'm sure he is a lovely bloke and he tries hard, but I thought he was poor then and it appears his career has demonstrated this. And no, that's not being wise after the event. This forum will demonstrate that I have always believed that.

I stand by my belief that his height and strength got him as far as it did. He was the worst footballer in our team, as in he looked so uncomfortable on the ball. With Bridcutt you wouldn't think twice that he would pick up the ball off the centre back and play it to someone's feet. A good defensive ball-playing midfielder makes it look so simple that you would think anyone could do.

And then along came Rohan. Catch a nice volley and make a good tackle once and suddenly you can forgive the fact he can't control a bag of potatoes and his second touch was always a tackle.

I used to kick a balloon in the air and watch my golden retriever run after it. He was having a lovely old time but was all over the place. Very similar.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He won 2013/14 Young Player of the Year Award and was linked to Liverpool amongst other clubs. Stop trying to re-write history.

I'm not re-writing anything. My opinions on him have been consistent from the time to today.

I've already admitted I was wrong about JFC, I thought he was going to be a real player for us and would progress like Will Hughes of Derby had done, but he was never able to step up to that sort of level. Ince I never thought would be a top player, I do think he could find himself in the Championship at some stage if he gets his head down. There are plenty of players who fight back after being released and go on to have good careers, hopefully Ince is one of them - I'm not having a go at him. I just don't rate him particularly highly, and never did.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think quite simply, that the gulf between being feted as a potential Young Player of the Year for their club, and then making it as a senior mature professional is vast. There are many that don't make it, and Rohan is far from being the only one who hasn't realised their early potential.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've already admitted I was wrong about JFC, I thought he was going to be a real player for us and would progress like Will Hughes of Derby had done,
Agreed. Also willing to say I was wrong about JFC. As a young talent he looked natural and comfortable on the ball. He just never really added to that.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In defence of Rohan (if this was the 2015 dinner), I did come across all BG and told him that this goal was a fluke.
https://youtu.be/Zq3NHUcIIqQ
He was not impressed and he may have got his strop on?

I'm not surprised. Why on earth would you say that? It was a brilliant strike.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed. Also willing to say I was wrong about JFC. As a young talent he looked natural and comfortable on the ball. He just never really added to that.

It's a sad fact of life that a lot of young players don't 'train on' to use horse racing parlance. Ince and JFC both come into that category. JFC is probably a bigger disappointment; ok he may not have made it in the PL, but I thought he'd be a good Championship player; a mainstay for a side like Wolves or Cardiff for example.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes, he was Young Player of the Year, I'm not disputing that. Being 'linked' to other clubs is just paper talk. There's a reason why Chelsea released him. Rewriting history? I saw the dreadful passes at Derby and Norwich with my own eyes, the same as I saw the wonder goal at Swindon. O'Grady and Colunga were just as good in the build up, and where are they now?
Consistency and hard work have to be combined with skills.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A dominant figure as part of a 5 man midfield but he lacked any creative ability and wasn't quick enough to play as 1 of just 2 central midfielders.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was but it was also a one off. That could be described as a fluke.

Never seen a ball struck so sweetly. It wasn't a fluke -.unless you think it appropriate to describe it in the same way you'd describe Newcastle's equaliser at the Amex last season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many on here saw him as the next Yaya Toure and said so but in reality the number of good or reasonable games that he had you could count on 1 hand and I would think that he is destined for The National League at the best. Possibly a lowly Div 2 side like Barnet might be interested in taking a chance on him.,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never seen a ball struck so sweetly. It wasn't a fluke -.unless you think it appropriate to describe it in the same way you'd describe Newcastle's equaliser at the Amex last season.

Yes, and the goal Spurs scored at Wembley against us. Sometimes players do get a perfect strike, but it doesn't make them outstanding unless they can do it a couple of times a season or more.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It just seems like yesterday that Arsenal’s Sanchez was smacking the ground in frustration at being caught and robbed yet again by Ince.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here