Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gender pay gap

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I completely agree with you and the emotional side to a woman can be a great thing in business and some roles in particular. However GENERALLY speaking the higher up a business you go the calmer and more logical your decision making needs to be. Some woman can do this, without question and I have first hand experience of some brilliant examples of this. However generally men are better from this point of view ad I really don't see that changing any time soon.

I've found a copy of you in action.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A little paraphrased. It's not that extreme.

If you took 100 men in business v 100 women in business if 60 men are good 40 women will be. it's not black and white, but the odds are naturally stacked in the male favour in business, probably 60:40 which I suspect explains the gender pay gap.

Hmmm .... have a guess what these lists are from :

Apprentice.JPG

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Well if the gender pay gap survey has achieved anything, it has generated a debate and flushed out a few misogynists, thereby proving the point. Job done.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The reality is I am a good boss who treats all staff fairly, whether male or female, but I have observed a lot of behaviour at the higher end of business and my views are based on this. No one I have ever worked with would say I am sexist. I am a realist, who appreciates the good qualities of men and women but isn't blind to their failings either. I maintain men and women are different with different skills, hard work can mitigate the natural failings, and highlight the qualities, but nonetheless men and women start out as different people and sometimes this natural difference can let down both sexes. It is just my opinion that women generally let themselves down more in this way than women and that is why there are more men at the top of business than women.

Out of interest why do you think there are less women in top positions than men? I don't believe that sexism exists in the way you think it does. Hard nosed business people will recruit the best people to make their business the most profit. Yes there may be some living the dark ages that believe men are better than women full stop (not me) , but they are few and far between. In general the reason women don't progress is because they simply are not as good OR perhaps more importantly as ambition as their male competitors. What other reason can there be?

I'd say it was mostly historical. Most of the "top brass" in my company are men. But they're also mostly in their 50s and 60s. Back then there was still very much an attitude of "a woman's place is in the home". At my level, it's about 50:50 and I have no doubt that when get to our 50s and 60s it'll be much closer to 50:50 at the top. Having said that women do tend to take more time out to have children and as such I imagine there will be a slight skew towards men. But nowt to do with ability.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well if the gender pay gap survey has achieved anything, it has generated a debate and flushed out a few misogynists, thereby proving the point. Job done.

Unfortunately this isn't true. In my game a couple of clowns invented the concepts 'the reproducibility crisis' and 'p-hacking' to explain the failure of many research papers especially in medical research to 'pan out', with others making similar observations and new experimental medicines 'translating' to 'man'. Meanwhile the elephant in the room (actual data fabrication or studies so poorly designed they don't warrant statistical anlysis) goes ignored. The 'gender pay gap' has become a similar buzzword/jargon concept. Those who work in places where everyone seems to earn what they deserve according to their grade, and have the opportunity to progress on terms equal and unrelated to gender, and can prove it, are increasingly irritated with what is in effect a smoke screen of bullshit that hides very real cases of mistreatment and employment bias against women. Easy off the tongue this jargon may be. Useful it isn't. The upshot is that men determined to preserve their privilage will be able to easily do so by mocking the errors of fact.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Plenty of "sexist" or honest posts on this thread. Just saying :whistle:

I don't think my post was sexist.
I agree with reporting of the gender pay gap. I believe men and women should be paid the same for the same job and believe there are too many men in senior positions. I believe women can do just as good a job as men if they are given the same opportunity in 99% of careers. Footbal player isn't one of them. If Women footballers start receiving the same wages as men then there is something wrong.

Any women on here happy to pay the same amount of money for a ticket to watch a women's match week in week out as they do to watch the men?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
You're right. I understand where you're coming from as I was the breadwinner for the first 9 years of our marriage.

Exactly! Some, definitely not all men have an issue with the idea of equality and see it as some sort of threat .But for me it is not just good for women but for men as well if the financial responsibilities and burdens can be shared. But if the roles that women do continue to be significantly lower paid, it difficult to see how this will be resolved.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here