Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ronaldo better than Messi?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ronaldo all day long. Messi content to be a flat track bully in a league where his team only has half a dozen tough games all season.

Could he do it on a wet night in Stoke? Ronaldo has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it Stoke?

And just FYI, Messi has over a goal a game against English opposition over his last 15 appearances. It seems he really doesn't struggle to face our best sides, let alone one of our top league's worst.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Messi is a better footballer than Ronaldo. He has a bigger impact on the game generally, always involved in build up play, more assists, better from set pieces, better vision. Barca were 2-0 down away to Sevilla at the weekend without Messi on the pitch, he comes on with 20 minutes to go being barely match fit, and he masterminds a 2-2 comeback in the final moments with a stunning equaliser. He has this kind of impact week-in-week-out.

Ronaldo is a better athlete, stronger and better in the air. But he will go for games on end without really doing much other than scoring tap ins.

That said, that is an absolute quality goal. Ronaldo is an exceptional player I just think Messi is a level above.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I couldn't split Messi and Ronaldo, they are both supremely talented with slightly different skill sets. But I think I'd still just about take Maradona over the pair of them. Ultimately Maradona won a World Cup on his own, and a Scudetto. I'm not old enough to have witnessed Pele, the only other player who realistically comes into this debate.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]981282087008337920[/TWEET]

Stumpy Tim

Personally I couldn't split Messi and Ronaldo, they are both supremely talented with slightly different skill sets. But I think I'd still just about take Maradona over the pair of them. Ultimately Maradona won a World Cup on his own, and a Scudetto. I'm not old enough to have witnessed Pele, the only other player who realistically comes into this debate.

Very much this. I was watching a YouTube video of Maradona with my 7 year old and he was amazed at the speed of his dribbling, and his finishing. As you say, Maradona won the World Cup on his own

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ronaldo better than Messi Yes he has done it in different countries and for his national team plus now he's older he has adapted his game and plays more as a centre forward rather than a winger

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Surely you've seen Escape To Victory - Pele beat the Germans single-handed !

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In terms of all round football contribution, I say Ronaldo.
NB . I think that this latest goal is over-hyped by the media... we have all seen overhead scissor kicks, although this one was acrobatic and the occasion made it noticed.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He has pace, strength and stamina like no other. He can use either foot or his head and scores bucket loads of goals. I wouldn't want to play against any player with that many attributes

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Messi is a better footballer than Ronaldo. He has a bigger impact on the game generally, always involved in build up play, more assists, better from set pieces, better vision. Barca were 2-0 down away to Sevilla at the weekend without Messi on the pitch, he comes on with 20 minutes to go being barely match fit, and he masterminds a 2-2 comeback in the final moments with a stunning equaliser. He has this kind of impact week-in-week-out.

Ronaldo is a better athlete, stronger and better in the air. But he will go for games on end without really doing much other than scoring tap ins.

That said, that is an absolute quality goal. Ronaldo is an exceptional player I just think Messi is a level above.

That's as pretty lazy argument I think. Messi is 30 and Ronaldo is 33. Because of his age, Ronaldo has adapted his game and now plays more as a centre forward rather than a winger. And he's still involved plenty in holding the ball up and bringing others in to play, as well as running out wide and putting balls into the box, or playing through balls to attacking partners. He's not involved in the build up as he once was, but he's just as involved in a game as someone like Harry Kane is, for example (probably more) - in fact, he gets far more assists. I saw a stat yesterday that Ronaldo has 19 assists in the Champions League in the last five seasons, compared to 10 for Messi. Messi has more in La Liga. We don't yet know what Messi is going to be like at 33. This is the problem with these comparisons, they are such different players, who each go through spells of fantastic form (and sometimes poor form when they aren't involved much), and are of different ages. They play in different positions and have different roles on the pitch. But if you watch Ronaldo's movement and anticipation in the box, it's incredible, which is why he now scores so many from close range - they are far from tap ins. He's such a good finisher. This season, it seems to me both Real Madrid and Barca aren't in the best form from what I've seen, but both these players are carrying their teams. That's how good they are, carrying two of the best teams in the world. But people are fickle - Ronaldo will go through an amazing patch, people will say he's the best - then the same will happen for Messi. I can't separate them, and I don't think we should.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Both the best of a generation however the fact that Ronaldo has done it on the international stage and won the Euros with Portugal swings it for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr is an ultimate Ronny fanboy.
Wouldn't wee-wee on Messi if he were on fire.

Therefore by extension, and despite not giving a single solitary f**k, I find myself TeamMessi.

That said Ron's greatness has only been mentioned once this week, to which I replied:-

"But you've never seen Lionel Messi completely humiliated by Brighton and Hove Albion, have you?"

What a glorious victory that was.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
it's like asking - whats better? peas or carrots?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Both incredible, but all Messi’s best work has been done at one club, while Ronaldo has tested himself in a lot of different leagues and not been found wanting. Messi sat in a place where he was revered and had teams built round him, while Ronaldo has stepped into a lot of different situations under different managers and still shone.

Messi seems more likeable perhaps, but for the reasons above, I have to say Ronaldo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here