Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player's Player of the Season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that many supporters will vote for Dunk and ignore the number of goals that we have conceded that come from a cross from the left to the far post.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I voted Gross, just ahead of Stephens and Propper.

I would imagine Stephens will win the players vote as he is probably the most selfless player we have in the side and he has been excellent most of the season. Stephens helps the defence, attack and also his fellow midfielders so he probably is the most popular player amongst the team!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I voted Gross because his goals and assists have been critical, plus he's been good to excellent in the vast majority of games.

Tempted to vote Stephens, as he's a class operator at the unsung hero CM role, shielding the back 4 and providing bite against teams full of tall thugs.

Whereas Dunk and Duffy were part of defence that let in so many key headed goals that led that to losses. I do realise they've been excellent most of the rest of the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't vote for Gross. Too inconsistent through the season.

For me, it's not 'who has the most assists?' or 'who crosses the ball best?', it's 'who has been the most consistent player throughout the season?'

Rather than consistency, I looked at who has contributed most to the season. Goals win games so I voted for Groß because he has scored goals and got the most assists.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I would think the two forerunners will be Stephens and Gross as unlike a large number on here the players appreciate what they do for the team Of the two I would expect the final winner to be Stephens.
For the love of God, stop this self aggrandising guff. If I had a pound for every one of your "I said this all along and no-one else did" posts, I could buy a 1901 dinner. A few morons makes neither a large number nor you some kind of genius.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rather than consistency, I looked at who has contributed most to the season. Goals win games so I voted for Groß because he has scored goals and got the most assists.

Which totally negates the effort put in by the defence and as such would always rule out Maty Ryan EVER being allowed to win it. Or Schellotto or Bong or Duffy or Dunk for that matter. Bit unfair.

As one ex-pro said to me yesterday in naming Lewis Dunk as his Player of the Season - "who would you miss most in the Premier League if they weren't playing? Dunk or Gross? Dunk, of course, by a mile..."

Put it this way, how grateful ought we to be that Dunk hasn't had a bad game this season? I don't think anyone else could make that claim.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which totally negates the effort put in by the defence and as such would always rule out Maty Ryan EVER being allowed to win it. Or Schellotto or Bong or Duffy or Dunk for that matter. Bit unfair.

As one ex-pro said to me yesterday in naming Lewis Dunk as his Player of the Season - "who would you miss most in the Premier League if they weren't playing? Dunk or Gross? Dunk, of course, by a mile..."

Put it this way, how grateful ought we to be that Dunk hasn't had a bad game this season? I don't think anyone else could make that claim.

No because clean sheets also get points. Dunk hasn't had a bad game? 4 own goals. I know it's because he is throwing himself at everything, but those own goals have gone against us, believe it or not.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'd vote dunky or gross :)
Stephens has really improved this year but he was probably a weak link in the first half of the season.....Let's hope it continues as I thought he'd be the first replacement for next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the love of God, stop this self aggrandising guff. If I had a pound for every one of your "I said this all along and no-one else did" posts, I could buy a 1901 dinner. A few morons makes neither a large number nor you some kind of genius.

That post was not an I told you so but simply a view that I hold that the 2 major competitors would be Gross and Stephens and that I would opt for Stephens. Every supporter has their own views and preferences and nobody expects us to all agree. Surely that is what a fans forum is all about.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That post was not an I told you so but simply a view that I hold that the 2 major competitors would be Gross and Stephens and that I would opt for Stephens. Every supporter has their own views and preferences and nobody expects us to all agree. Surely that is what a fans forum is all about.

Good post. Gross and Stehens have both had an outstanding season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with you. I wouldn’t blame Dunk for the own goals but I would blame him for some of the goals we’ve conceded. He’s been very good but is just behind two players for me.

..........And my second place would go to Gross. An attacking player with his stats is worth his weight in gold to a team near the bottom. You just don’t get many players like this in the bottom half. He’s had more of an effect on our points tally than any other player and would arguably be our hardest player to replace. Plus he’s done it in a team that was woefully short of attacking quality until January, meaning he had to carry us at times. A truly class player and a worthy winner if he gets the award.

Agree with your points about Dunk and Gross.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can't vote for Gross. Too inconsistent through the season.

For me, it's not 'who has the most assists?' or 'who crosses the ball best?', it's 'who has been the most consistent player throughout the season?'

That logic is biased towards defensive players; it's tougher to be consistent when you play higher up the pitch -- I do realise that Ronaldo and Messi might beg to differ, but we're not quite at that level yet.
FWIW, I can't choose between Dunk and Gross at the moment (it has been Dunk all the way up to this point).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree with you. I wouldn’t blame Dunk for the own goals but I would blame him for some of the goals we’ve conceded. He’s been very good but is just behind two players for me.

I’ve voted for Ryan as I think he’s been absolutely flawless since the first couple of games, I’ve really enjoyed watching him and he has won us numerous points. He was responsible for what I consider to be the critical moment of the season so far (last minute at Stoke) and seems to have really contributed to the spirit. And my second place would go to Gross. An attacking player with his stats is worth his weight in gold to a team near the bottom. You just don’t get many players like this in the bottom half. He’s had more of an effect on our points tally than any other player and would arguably be our hardest player to replace. Plus he’s done it in a team that was woefully short of attacking quality until January, meaning he had to carry us at times. A truly class player and a worthy winner if he gets the award.

Put far more eloquently than I can manage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, Dunk hasn't had a bad game. You believe his four own goals mark him down as having had 'bad games' or the mark of a poor player?

Neither, but he's still not the finished article. His best achievement this season is avoiding cards.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Neither, but he's still not the finished article. His best achievement this season is avoiding cards.

I think there's valid arguments for both Gross and Dunk (and perhaps a couple of other players too), but I'm sure you don't believe Dunk's best achievement this season is avoiding cards. You must have worded that incorrectly. Surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here