Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for season defining match v Huddersfield

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
On what point? Moving Loccadia or Izquierdo to the middle if necessary or my view of Baldock? Or my usual view of Bong.

Baldock and bong points. You can't have Ulloa and Hemed on bench. Both similar. Baldock is a different option. As for Bong, I thought he's been one of our best players recently. He's made the lb spot his after the earlier alternating.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hemed.

Just sayin, like.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I wonder if the comments from Hemed had anything to do with Baldock being ahead of him last Saturday?
Ulloa and Baldock on the bench Saturday. You cannot drop Murray after one poor game after the season he has had.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I wonder if the comments from Hemed had anything to do with Baldock being ahead of him last Saturday?
Ulloa and Baldock on the bench Saturday. You cannot drop Murray after one poor game after the season he has had.

Oh yes you can Murray , he only started scoring goals when we signed Ulloa and Loccardia , as soon as his standards drop like on Saturday , you use the options ,

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is the way youngstes lay out their teams nowadays from left to right see also Jose, when traditionally it was always right to left

No it isn't. It's how those that don't understand how it's formulated do it. Time they learned!

Perhaps they'd like the GK to be the eleventh on the list? Well, tough sh1t. Maybe they should just learn something..................................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is the way youngstes lay out their teams nowadays from left to right see also Jose, when traditionally it was always right to left

Well, it's about time they learned to do it properly then. Conventions aren't there for no good reason!

Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army summed it up about right - 'Stupid boy'...............

Edit: Previous post disappeared........so had to post again. Now they both show up!

Pfffft...............................

Kylegreen-1

Jan 4, 2018
Near Tunbridge wells
Ryan

Bong
Dunk
Duffy
Schelotto

Izquierdo
Propper
Hopefully Stephens (kayal if not)
Locadia

Groß

Murray (if we need a goal, sub on March for Murray and put Locadia up front to utilise pace against a tiring defence)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Baldock and bong points. You can't have Ulloa and Hemed on bench. Both similar. Baldock is a different option. As for Bong, I thought he's been one of our best players recently. He's made the lb spot his after the earlier alternating.

Well in my view Baldock is far too lightweight. Does a lot of running into the channels but is far too easily eased off the ball by defenders (and those were the ones in the championship). As for Bong, offers pretty much zero when going forward. I will concede that he played one excellent ball for Izquierdo to run onto in second half against Leicester but that was about the first time he has done that all season. Seems to hang on to the ball far too long and then ends up with a short pass to Izquierdo who is then easily closed down by the opposition!! If he got into the habit of releasing the ball earlier then more chances could be created. That said, we saw how woeful his crossing is last Saturday so that might explain it.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Unchanged for me.

We should have enough to at least hold Hudds but I have a feeling in my water about this. If I use our performance against Leicester as a jumping off point, where we were very unlucky to lose against a very good side, then I think we can deal with Hudds high press AND score.

Wagner has performed miracles with that team but then so has Chris with us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well in my view Baldock is far too lightweight. Does a lot of running into the channels but is far too easily eased off the ball by defenders (and those were the ones in the championship). As for Bong, offers pretty much zero when going forward. I will concede that he played one excellent ball for Izquierdo to run onto in second half against Leicester but that was about the first time he has done that all season. Seems to hang on to the ball far too long and then ends up with a short pass to Izquierdo who is then easily closed down by the opposition!! If he got into the habit of releasing the ball earlier then more chances could be created. That said, we saw how woeful his crossing is last Saturday so that might explain it.

My view of Bong is different to yours (which I've recently gathered is a bit of a hobby horse of yours). I think he's either the most improved player this season, or the one that I'd under-rated in previous seasons. If you're going to assess him fairly, you'll have to take into account his defensive stats, which especially regarding one-on-ones and preventing crosses getting in is extremely strong. Mahrez, who is probably the best player in the PL outside the top six, struggled against him on Saturday.
You've acknowledged one decent ball against Leicester. I willingly concede that Bong's distribution is one of the weakest (Duffy is probably worse in my view) in the team, but it's not universally bad, it's frustratingly erratic. There were actually several good flighted balls he played on Saturday, alongside some dreadful crosses and a shot that we all knew was going wayward. Last season, he did have a number of assists. Of our left-backs, Suttner is better on the ball, but Bong is the better defender.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My view of Bong is different to yours (which I've recently gathered is a bit of a hobby horse of yours). I think he's either the most improved player this season, or the one that I'd under-rated in previous seasons. If you're going to assess him fairly, you'll have to take into account his defensive stats, which especially regarding one-on-ones and preventing crosses getting in is extremely strong. Mahrez, who is probably the best player in the PL outside the top six, struggled against him on Saturday.
You've acknowledged one decent ball against Leicester. I willingly concede that Bong's distribution is one of the weakest (Duffy is probably worse in my view) in the team, but it's not universally bad, it's frustratingly erratic. There were actually several good flighted balls he played on Saturday, alongside some dreadful crosses and a shot that we all knew was going wayward. Last season, he did have a number of assists. Of our left-backs, Suttner is better on the ball, but Bong is the better defender.

Nailed it........including ‘frustratingly erratic’.....

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Bang on the money.

I don't know what planet the Bong haters are on to be honest. At the start of the season I fully expected Suttner to make the left back slot his own, and to this day Bong makes me worry when he is around the ball - but anyone who doesn't agree Bong hasn't had an absolute stormer of a season can't have been watching us much. 100% most improved player by a country mile I didn't think he would cut it in the Prem but he has adapted perfectly and fully deserves his run in the team.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm not challenging his defensive stats but a full back at this level should be offering far more. Pick out those at the top and they contribute far more going forward. In the last few years we've witnessed that first with Bridge (which was exceptional for us) and then Ward. Look on the other side and see how much better at getting forward Bruno/Schelotto are.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I'm not challenging his defensive stats but a full back at this level should be offering far more. Pick out those at the top and they contribute far more going forward. In the last few years we've witnessed that first with Bridge (which was exceptional for us) and then Ward. Look on the other side and see how much better at getting forward Bruno/Schelotto are.
Agree that he is not so good going forward, and I am certain that if we stay up we will get a very decent first choice LB in the summer, but the bloke who nobody wanted, who got relegated from the Championship with Wigan, had control of a £50m winger all game. Bong is our best LB currently, and the analysis of him by the poster above is spot on.

For the record I think and hope Leo will start, and I would prefer Solly to start or RW so that we can bring a genuine option from the bench in Locadia.

Also I was genuinely pleased with how well Propper and Kayal played on Saturday, I really expected to miss Dale more than we did so I think they will do fine again.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ryan

Bong
Dunk
Duffy
Greyhound

Jose
Kayal
Propper
Locadia

Gross

Murray

IMO
Kayal had a excellent game against Leicester and we will need players who have a bit of bite
Murray for me over Ulloa but see what the game does
March - impact sub with 20 mins of running as a winger not a midfielder
Gross - would like him to play further forward rather than s a pseudo midfielder as he (more than all the midfield put together) has shown to attack and score

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not challenging his defensive stats but a full back at this level should be offering far more. Pick out those at the top and they contribute far more going forward.

Yes, the top teams do have better left backs than us - actually, they have better players than us in pretty much every position - that's why they're top six and we're fighting to finish in lower mid-table. We've got Bong and Suttner as LBs, and they've done OK this season. Yes,, it would be nice to have an even better LB, and obviously TB will be getting his wallet out to improve the team for next season = but we can't upgrade every position, and I'm not sure LB will be that high a priority.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree that he is not so good going forward, and I am certain that if we stay up we will get a very decent first choice LB in the summer, but the bloke who nobody wanted, who got relegated from the Championship with Wigan, had control of a £50m winger all game. Bong is our best LB currently, and the analysis of him by the poster above is spot on.

For the record I think and hope Leo will start, and I would prefer Solly to start or RW so that we can bring a genuine option from the bench in Locadia.

Also I was genuinely pleased with how well Propper and Kayal played on Saturday, I really expected to miss Dale more than we did so I think they will do fine again.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Agree about Kayal. Thought that was his best game since he came back from injury. March also played well when he came on, far better than he has since the start of the season when he started so well.

And for the record, I don't hate Bong, just think some of the adulation of him on here is over the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here