Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is the most trouble you got in at school?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Another Tideway reject here! think the worst i did was stick a mates head through a top floor window, covering the ground below in glass (Thankfully no one got hurt!) worringly that was considered tame compared to most!

76-80 myself

Really enjoyed it,especially the sports

If only I had learnt something :laugh:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tideway per chance?

Yes.

Mrs.Ost was the teacher blinded I believe.

Mr.Colquhoun was the art teacher hit by clay, in out of control classes.

Mr.Shorthouse was the metalwork teacher.

Saxby was the unsmiling, miserable head, subjected to a Hitler salute.

Longhill's sports minibus was stoned as it it passed Valley Drive, Newhaven on the loop round.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes.

Longhill's sports minibus was stoned as it it passed Valley Drive, Newhaven on the loop round.

I don’t think it was Mrs Ost, I believe it was the female music teacher who’s name escapes me...albeit a few years after I left. I remember Shorthouse, or Death Breath as we called him due to his coffee scented breath. Saxby was Head when I was there as well

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Davies, Snow & the tanned female PE teacher who had a relationship with a 15 year old lad.

Ah yes, her surname was pronounced Rye-dulsh...can’t recall how it was spelt. And Mr Ward was another PE teacher and also my tutor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think it was Mrs Ost, I believe it was the female music teacher who’s name escapes me...albeit a few years after I left. I remember Shorthouse, or Death Breath as we called him due to his coffee scented breath. Saxby was Head when I was there as well

The lovely Rothwell was the head when I was there, until Saxby took over.

Rothwell had been a Japanese POW, which an open minded, liberal and modern view, unlike any school in the country:

Age 12 upwards - no school uniform whatsoever.
Continental times - 8:10 to 2:15 finish, leaving very long afternoons to spend with mates.

Ended by Saxby over time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The lovely Rothwell was the head when I was there, until Saxby took over.

Rothwell had been a Japanese POW, which an open minded, liberal and modern view, unlike any school in the country:

Age 12 upwards - no school uniform whatsoever.
Continental times - 8:10 to 2:15 finish, leaving very long afternoons to spend with mates.

Ended by Saxby over time.

What years were you there?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah yes, her surname was pronounced Rye-dulsh...can’t recall how it was spelt. And Mr Ward was another PE teacher and also my tutor.

Bumped into Mr.Ward years later in Brighton nightclubs and West Street, loads lf times.

When smashed with his rugby club mates, he bacame a really violent bloke looking trouble and bullying of non-violent types! He was well into his 40's or more. Bizarre.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1976 (hot summer) to 1982, as I gave the lower sixth a go, before getting A levels properly elsewhere.

What about you?

‘79 until ‘85. Like you I gave the sixth form a go for one year but decided I wanted a move and and did my A’s at Lewes Tech. I liked the school, have very fond memories of my time there and of my days in Newhaven in general.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I served many a detention for a fault that I have unfortunately carried in to my adult life. When I find myself in a 'situation', the first thing my brain thinks of is 'what is the most inappropriate thing I could say here. ' Then, if I think it's funny, I can't seem to stop myself from saying it. Sometimes this diffuses the situation and sometimes, when dealing with a humourless ****, it makes things a lot more explosive!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
‘79 until ‘85. Like you I gave the sixth form a go for one year but decided I wanted a move and and did my A’s at Lewes Tech. I liked the school, have very fond memories of my time there and of my days in Newhaven in general.

Same here. Good memories of all school days, in and around the Haven's, and a quick bus ride into Brighton for the cinema, shops, etc. Knew the two towns like the back of my hand. Used to wander round the completely open deep (Napoleonic War) Fort tunnels before it became a tourist attraction. No H&S then!

I'm surprised you went to Tideway. I'm not sure if it was you, but on a NSC thread once I was chatting with those learning German, and someone (you?) pointed out the huge advantage of having mastered Latin as a kid. Which I assumed meant independent or grammar schooling (ESCC ended grammars many years before I was 11). Tideway didn't offer Latin in my era.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Yes.

I heard Mr Shorthouse (deathbreath) killed himself, no idea if that was true though. was there is 86-90 and he was still there then. used to set us up in the workshop then go to his office at the back and ignore us until the end of lesson!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I heard Mr Shorthouse (deathbreath) killed himself, no idea if that was true though. was there is 86-90 and he was still there then. used to set us up in the workshop then go to his office at the back and ignore us until the end of lesson!

Herr Brauner was the German teacher. His story was that he' escaped the DDR by holding onto the bottom of a Berlin metro train. In the 1980's we were told that he'd been arrested as a East German spy here, with his original story bollox!

I've met an old physics teacher Pierson a couple of times, who said all the teachers couldn't stand Saxby. Completely humourless, miserable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same here. Good memories of all school days, in and around the Haven's, and a quick bus ride into Brighton for the cinema, shops, etc. Knew the two towns like the back of my hand. Used to wander round the completely open deep (Napoleonic War) Fort tunnels before it became a tourist attraction. No H&S then!

I'm surprised you went to Tideway. I'm not sure if it was you, but on a NSC thread once I was chatting with those learning German, and someone (you?) pointed out the huge advantage of having mastered Latin as a kid. Which I assumed meant independent or grammar schooling (ESCC ended grammars many years before I was 11). Tideway didn't offer Latin in my era.

I remember messing about in the fort tunnels as well; one of them ended with an opening half way up the cliff. I recall some had paintings/murals in them. I spent most summer holidays on the West or East side beaches.

Re language, I think you might be confusing me with someone else as I have never studied Latin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Brauner was the German teacher. His story was that he' escaped the DDR by holding onto the bottom of a Berlin metro train. In the 1980's we were told that he'd been arrested as a East German spy here, with his original story bollox!

I've met an old physics teacher Pierson a couple of times, who said all the teachers couldn't stand Saxby. Completely humourless, miserable.

I remember Pierson: scruffy, youthful in outlook but quite weather-worn and always cycled to school. Think he watched the Albion as well.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

The German teacher was Taff Davis neighbour,only two houses up by the cliffs after the playing fields

I was good friends with one of Taffy's sons and I was there when undercover OB raided the house
Rumours were he was a spy,but no idea what he'd been up to

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here